Author Topic: This year's holiday promises.  (Read 28960 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
This year's holiday promises.
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
 The Arrilas Forum has a topic on the go just now that I thought we might "borrow" and see if it creates any interest.The jist of it is

"Things I am going to do this year on holiday that I have intended to do on previous visits but never quite got round to".

Let's face it we all go with good intentions about places we are going to visit or trips we are going to take or tavernas we are going to eat in
 and when we finally get there we spend most of our time blobbing out and before you know it the holiday's over.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: This year's holiday promises.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
Will be interesting to read what others put. My own personal one this time is to try and have longer walks and not just into the village and back
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
Going to attempt the climb up to the taverna on the hill top,Akrotiri?.Seen some fantastic pics on here,it is a must do this time.Which is the easier of the routes please,I believe one sets off at the village cross roads?
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
The easiest route I have found is a path just passed 3 w's bar. Nice steady climb up past some German apartments (can't recall what they are called)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
Jules, many thanks.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
The easiest route I have found is a path just passed 3 w's bar. Nice steady climb up past some German apartments (can't recall what they are called)
Tried several different routes up to the top but never that one.Are the apartments called Uranos by any chance?

Offline teambunny

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
We're going to try to eat in some of the tavernas we've missed in the last four visits: Fantasea and Evino's to start with.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:35 AM »
Best route up in my opinion is from crossroads towards Ozzy Oil/Perros etc. Just keep going. Its a decent surface with a couple of bends. The road then forks.
Take the right fork and follow the road straight on. You will see a sign for Gravia and it will be on your left as you reach the headland. Turn right for Akrotiri.
When you leave Akrotiri turn right then right again..... this road takes you on a steep but short downhill climb.
You will come to the Tsaros pool and bar on your right...... nice place for a swim and another pint.... all welcome

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
Best route up in my opinion is from crossroads towards Ozzy Oil/Perros etc. Just keep going. Its a decent surface with a couple of bends. The road then forks.
Take the right fork and follow the road straight on. You will see a sign for Gravia and it will be on your left as you reach the headland. Turn right for Akrotiri.
When you leave Akrotiri turn right then right again..... this road takes you on a steep but short downhill climb.
You will come to the Tsaros pool and bar on your right...... nice place for a swim and another pint.... all welcome
That's a nice walk Gav but there are shorter routes if you are really thirsty.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:32:02 AM »
This year i hope to attend more sasparela bars....avoid all greek food that is cooked in olive oil,go jelly fish hunting and eat in the smoking areas.......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
The quickest route is to turn sharp left past the Juice Bar on the beach road (just opposite San Stef Travel - otherwise known as the abode of the Three Graces of Agios Stefanos). Just keep going up past Tsaros - it's not that bad - and then turn left at the T-junction. (If you don't turn left or right you will fall 100 feet into the sea). Small rise takes you to Akrotiri. Try the smoked salmon salad - it's fabulous.

If you are (sensibly) staying on the old village, there's a nice, reasonably gentle, route. Turn left up the hill just before the church on the harbour road and follow the track. This takes a right turn and brings you out at the top of promontory, and you can stroll down with great views until you reach Akrotiri. Did I mention the smoked salmon salad?

There's a variation on this route for the impatient. Where the track turns right, go up the hillside, squeeze through the fence gaps, and you will end up in Arianna's. This is a hut and gardens, where you can buy a much needed drink. You may well encounter the lovely little girl after whom the enterprise is named. She has an English mother, and you will not need to speak pigeon Greek. She may well dance, sing, recite and generally perform her best acts for you. If you're a primary school teacher on holiday I'd give this one a miss, otherwise, it's lovely.

Akrotiri is a beautiful bar, and in our opinion one of the treasures of the village.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:50:42 AM by Jimbo »

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
As well as visiting named bar like everyone else for said sunset pics and smoked salmon salad I think its high time after 4 previous hols that the wife and I paid our first visit to Ozzie Oils,very probably on BBQ/Kerry singing night and finally experience what all the fuss is about!! 8) 8) 8)
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
I promise this year I won't let Dimitri take me, and a partner in crime to Sidari, to a foam party, where I will enjoy myself just a little too much, loose my key, return to the complex, find the front door locked, steal Dimitri's ladder, walk around the poolside in the style of the Chuckle Brothers, use the ladder to climb onto the bar roof, make my way to the patio doors, think they are open, but unfortunately discover they're not by walking into the glass with such force that the bottles in the bar below rattle and dogs bark, and spend the next day attempting to disguise the mother of all hang overs.

But the problem is Dimitri is very persuasive, and I am weak.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

Gav's right, this is the best route, maybe a bit longer but nowhere near as steep and on mostly Tarmac roads

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
As well as visiting named bar like everyone else for said sunset pics and smoked salmon salad I think its high time after 4 previous hols that the wife and I paid our first visit to Ozzie Oils,very probably on BBQ/Kerry singing night and finally experience what all the fuss is about!! 8) 8) 8)

Ozzie Oil is great, Kerry's singing fantastic. Well worth a visit or three.
There's plenty of videos of her singing on Ozzie Oil BBQ night on Youtube

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni