Author Topic: Weather in late May??  (Read 12360 times)

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Weather in late May??
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Now that our son is at school, we're resigned to taking our holidays over half term rather than risk the wrath and a fine from the Govt. So, rather than risk the August heat, we're returning to SS in the half term at the end of May, much earlier than our previous visits in Sept 2012 and mid June 2013.  What do you think we can expect from the weather and will everything be open in the village?  Given its half term, I assume there'll be plenty of other holidaymakers getting their first summer fix of SS.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Weather in late May??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
Everything or almost everything will be open we have our first guests at Vicky's as many in resort have from May 2nd......pop in and say yassou......

If weather is good as well most trips again depending on winds/weather will be up and running....bring a cardie though as nights can be chilly/damp.......

And remember in May we still have the lovely fireflies as evening descends upon us......

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
We have been in the same position as you the last 2 years, not wanting to risk the August heat and unable to holiday outside of term time. The last 2 years we went to SS for the last week of May/first week of June.

In 2012 the weather was glorious for 13 out of our 14 days. Around 30°C most day with a gentle wind.

In 2013 the weather was really hit and miss. Most days were cloudy and even on the hotter days there seemed to always be a strong wind which made you feel quite chilly. I believe this was the case right into July too?

Also the pools (and the sea) haven't warmed up too much and can be quite chilly in my experience.

Apart from that all tavernas and bars were open for business.

The resort was relatively quiet (compared to peak season) and there were not very many other children in the resort. We travelled as a large party in 2012 so didn't really notice whether there were many other children but in 2013 there were very few.

I would definitely holiday in a May/June again though but have chosen August this year instead.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:35:42 PM by D@G »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
We went third week in June last year and it was still windy then

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
We went the second and third week in June first week we were there was really warm 30 degrees every day and warm at night the second week was very windy all week not the usual two or three days when there is a Mistral and was quite chilly quite a few people ate inside at the Nafsica and nobody ate outside at Beachcomber for 6 nights I blame Gavin all went downhill when he arrived !

Offline teambunny

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
We went for Whitsun week last year. It was quite windy during the day but we did swim in the pool at Teresa's most days and didn't find it cold, also sat out in the sun and it was fine out of the wind. We did find it chilly in the evenings and ate indoors at Ozzie Oils and under shelter at other places but still needed a carddie. We would go again at this time.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:07:33 AM »
Ha ha Di....... twas very windy that week. Thanassis at Tsaros kept saying 'tomorrow wind be gone'

He was saying that for about 8 nights!!

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:44 AM »
Spiros at the Nafsica kept saying it was quite unusual didn't make us feel any better about it Tony had face on a couple of nights when he couldn't have his nightcap on the balcony as it was to chilly and windy

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Yes, we felt the wind too last year in mid-June (we were there 9-20 June).  I ended up watching the forecast online here: http://poseidon.hcmr.gr/weather_forecast.php?area_id=gr Corfu is top left...

Thanks for all your replies so far, fingers crossed for 2012 weather rather than 2013!

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
Suppose it's like here can be we went one year end of August beginning September second week we had a Mistral for 3 days at the start of the week then really bad rain from the Friday through till late Saturday evening

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
Well as good British people we are here on forum no offensive to our other European friends and forum members and we do love to discuss the weather as mostly its yuk in UK so when I got married in June 2003 I decided (Ah ah due to my 30 years experience of being in Greece well that bit me on the bum) it would be a good time not very very hot just nice maybe not too much wind as we where having the reception on the beach at Waves taverna so as is normal the Church wedding was prior to Sunset around 7pm and all day it was  hot hot hot at last 42c and recorded as the hottest day of the year personally couldn't wait to cut the cake get me flip flops on, take of the meraginue and join those in the wedding group whom had come (sensibly ) dressed for the event in shorts bikinis etc...  Oh the weather we can go on and on whom knows what will be awaiting us...........

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:14 AM »
Whatever the discussion, the weather is usually pretty good in the summer season, what's a few odd days of wind or rain....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni