Author Topic: Video of old San Stefanos and it's people  (Read 19742 times)

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Video of old San Stefanos and it's people
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
In 1981 we stayed in one of Manthos' rooms, in the buildings immediately behind the Church. These were on the upper floor, with the families' rooms below. Basic they were indeed, a double bed, chest of drawers, and a sink in the corner. There was a shared shower room at the end of the balcony, and I seem to remember he had a total of three rooms. The balcony faced towards the Church, and the little window gazed out onto the old harbour. We loved it.

We were drawn to the village after reading an article in the travel section of a Sunday newspaper, which also detailed the contact information for "Ilios Island Holidays". We don't have the newspaper article anymore, but we do have the original brochure, which illustrates places to stay in the village, plus car hire, etc. I'll perhaps scan that, and put the images on here, assuming I can work out how to do it, so you can take a look at what was on offer in 1981, along with the prices. The car hire is interesting, one of the options was a Trabant convertible.

For whatever reason, we didn't return to the village again until 2000, when we arrived with our young family and a group of friends, staying in Angela apartments. And then that was it, every summer, every year, in the original part of the village, until our last visit in 2011, and on that occassion staying in one of the Romanza villas. As much as we enjoyed our stay in Manthos' rooms, upon reflection, we do prefer Romanza villas!

So, having missed a couple of years a mob of us are going back this August. This time we're staying once again with our mate Dimitris at Fedramare, where once again we'll have a great view of the resort, including a view of those Manthos' rooms where for us, our relationship with San Stefanos started.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:22:37 PM by cambridge »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Brilliant story!!!
There is a way you can upload them using Imageshack.
There's also a group on Facebook called Going To San Stefanos 2014 if you are on FB or one of your close family is?
You have to request to join but can then upload pics?
Failing that im happy to put on here for you id you wish to email me them?

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Gavlah, thanks for that. Yes let me email them across to you to mess with. I've just scanned them, but some now need rotating and my interest in faffing about with them is starting to wane. So, send me your email address, and I'll mail them to you as they are for you to edit and post.

Cheers mate.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Just messaged you!!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
I loved reading your story about your holiday in San Stefanos in1981.Manthos still uses those old rooms to house his foreign staff in the Summer and I don't suppose they have changed much since you stayed in them. Like you we always stay in the original part of the village,it's so much quieter and the views are wonderful.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
Help me out here folks so I can get things right in my minds eye, what do most people generally regard as the old or traditional parts of San Stef?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
For me I would say everything from the corner after the juice bar and onwards towards the church
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Gavlah1973

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Same here!!!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
Steve

I've emailed you!!!

Cheers

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
Steve

I've emailed you!!!

Cheers

Gav,

Thanks for your help with those images!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »
They are now proudly sat on the San Stefanos Group on FB!!

All I need to do now is work out how to post em on here!! The option under the additional optipons bit to add files has vanished!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
Tony,
I also had the pleasure of staying in San Stef at roughly that time.  I also remember the Town Pizza owner (his name escapes me) having a place somewhere opposite where the Three W is now.  That was where you went if there was a football game being televised.  I remember watching the Greek equivalent of the FA cup final there.  Was Summer Dreams not also there around that time?  At least I think that's its name.
No - - many years later Summer Dreams and the Owner of Town Pizza had a giant American Car (open top) that he drove around the village
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni