Author Topic: San Stefanos Tavernas  (Read 28484 times)

Kernowfox

Re: San Stefanos Tavernas
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 03:56:54 AM »
Hi Jimbo it was in September -same time that you were there-saw you in Sunset one morning when we were enjoying a coffee and watching the san stef world go by.....

Offline MrWilko2603

• SanStef Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »
Is Illias the taverna overlooking the olive groves? :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
Ilias is next to the Town Square in Avliotes.

Offline purpletigger

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
My Wife agrees with you there Tigger!
Was quite impressed myself,seemed decent lads working there too.

Nice you agree, we just feel so relaxed there - took us a few years before we ventured in but so happy we did :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »
I was just thinking to myself, I wonder if other holiday forums are as obsessed with food as this one?

Maybe it's to do with age. When I started going to Greece the food was absolutely terrible. Remember those old Tourist Police menus with hundreds of items, of which about four actually had a price pencilled in? Remember the tooth-busting souvlaki, the fossilised kelftiko, the cold chips that looked like pale fingers chopped off in a mortuary and preserved in formaldehyde? And so on.

We didn't give a toss about the food. We swam a lot, drunk a lot of Greek champagne at about £1 a bottle while gambolling in the surf, got ratted, laughed a lot, screwed a lot and danced in the discos until the early hours. Maybe it's a sign of the age of the clientèle here that the size of the starters has become more important than sex in the surf.   

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
Thank you everyone for the comments. Has anyone been to Dionysis?
Do you mean Dionysos in Afionas?Lovely family,very welcoming,excellent food and spectacular views.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
Beachcomber and Olympia are my favorites, I use to love the Olive Press but alas it is no more. Roll on summer so we can enjoy the wonderful meals served at some great taverna's. Off to Spain tomorrow for some Winter sunshine,well at least I hope so! :) :)

Offline RedroseMax

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
Nice you agree, we just feel so relaxed there - took us a few years before we ventured in but so happy we did :)
Will be going more this year.
Whats this Sex that Jimbo keeps talking about?

Offline MrWilko2603

• SanStef Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Which taverna in San Stefanos serves the most traditional dishes?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »
Whats this Sex that Jimbo keeps talking about?

I'm not sure, but I think it's South African for 6.

Offline MrWilko2603

• SanStef Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
Thank you Jimbo.  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 01:24:03 AM »
As for the "most traditional dishes," that's a very difficult question to answer. Greek food is regional. Every family cooks its "traditional" dishes in a slightly different way, much as a Sunday roast will vary from family to family in the UK.

On the whole I suspect that less olive oil is used in tavernas than would be the case at home.

Spiros, at Nafsika, is very knowledgeable about Greek food, and will usually have at least one really authentic special on the menu. Spiros is usually very happy to talk about it, and after a suitable number of visits you might even get a specially-cooked ultra-authentic dish. Corfiot food is highly influenced by the Italians, so there are probably more pasta-based dishes than in Aegean. 

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »
Well I've read all of this thread and I am a bit mystified as to why the voting was restricted to those four.
Jimbo and others made a lot of obvious and valid comments earlier and it's true that poor meals depend on what you ordered.

I have always found that the times I have had a slightly under-whelming meal it was usually in a very busy restaurant,
yet when we went there on a quieter night the food was great.

I often wonder how the chefs cope some nights in the entertainment Tavernas - LP / Zorbas etc & it's not hard to understand why a lot of meals have to be pre-cooked and re-heated.

Sandra loves the sizzling steaks - and I have tried them quite a few times - but I have never thought wow.
In saying that I will always eat at LP etc, because they also do some great meals I really enjoy there and I love the place.

I actually still think that you will get a great meal in all of the restaurants in San Stefanos, but to get that great meal, think about what you are going to order.
Quite funny actually, Linda and I had meals in the Mediteranean Village last Sept.. Lindas Stifado was fantastic, my Kleftico was poor, but Ok enough for me not to make a fuss.
Just an example proving Jimbos earlier statement.
I don't think you can go wrong with most Grilled dishes in San Stefanos though, if you are not sure.
We have had good meals in every Restaurant over the years and sometimes it comes down to who you are friendly with rather than the food as most are really close in quality.

Our favourites, Fish in Waves, The Beachcomber Bistro's different menu is fantastic and Nikki is a brilliant chef... always good.
Fantasea is always brilliant, Nafsika is great, Ozzie Oils is Great, love some of the meals in Olympia, some less so... quite international...
Actually difficult to knock any and I won't.....
Lets see what 2014 brings - - chefs can change who knows..... try them all  - - it's a great part of your holiday... enjoy!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline MrWilko2603

• SanStef Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »
Thank you very much. I have learnt a lot from this.  :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni