Author Topic: Christmas in San Stef  (Read 12986 times)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Christmas in San Stef
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »

I do believe this subject has been discussed previously so I apologise in advance to the regulars, however I would love to know what happens to San Stef in the Christmas time.  Honestly, I would like to know some certain information that others may seem strange or indeed obvious.

1. Is the village of San Stef still open/operating (any places still going) or surrounding villages.

2. Where do the people all go for Christmas.

3. What happens to their property if they are closed for the winter.

4. Could I or anyone else actually spend Christmas in San Stef (niche in the market me thinks, eh Jimbo).

Just some random but honest thoughts that I wanted to share.  I am sure you know the answers to most if not all Lesley.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas in San Stef
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
I have always asked myself these same questions Rod.I know that grocery on the main strip is open,or so I was reliably informed,Tasty Corner too.Dimitri ( Little Prince)lives just down the road from there.I would enjoy a walk through the town in winter,just for the sake of it.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
Hi from Avliotes (Agios Stefanos) as I live up the hill in the village I suppose we are fortunate to be able to visit the resort by car in 6-7 mins drive during the winter months.
El Greco is open mornings 09.00 - 15.00 and then in the evenings, George has a lovely tree for Xmas decorated.  Serving coffee's cakes and drinks a fav of ours especially on sunny days. 
The Three W's with Xanathos and Margarita's is also open again for drinks and darts matches there is a team and league and all well supported.
Tasty Corner open for weekend snacks as is Town Pizza.
The cake shop and mini market plus the new supermarket in the centre also open for bread and supplies including fresh local veggies.
Just up the hill towards Arillas is Nikos who owns Golden Market and this a fab place on sunny days you can still outside here as we did yesterday with sun streaming over the Pergola. Situated almost within 50 metres of the Arillas Brewery.

Now up in the village Avliotes we have a few more options as well, Landos Coffee shop, The Cake shop almost next door and then across the road Ilias Taverna serving food during the evenings and various 'Specials' at the weekend.
The lovely Meze bar just up the hill from the Old post Office serves drinks and mezes 7 days and evenings weekly.
Of course the village is as lovely in winter as it is during the summer.
The minimarket, bakery, chemist and shops are all open in winter as this serves the local community.

As many of the owners have their homes in Avliotes you find many of them here or alternatively down in San Stefanos during the winter months.

Walks along the beach or through the olive groves especially the past 12 days or so when daytime temps have been around 16c - its chilly in the evenings though so heating is needed for the long nights.

Many people have Olives so this is another winter job, although the crop is best every 2nd year.  You can smell the olives pressing as you pass the various presses.

Thankfully Christmas is not so OTT as UK and although most houses are decorated the children go from house to house on Xmas eve singing as they also do again New Year and then on the 12th day being 6th January.  Some people eat turkey but mostly it is lamb for Xmas dinner special Christmas cookies and bread.  Gifts are normally exchanged on New Year.  Many of the men enjoy playing cards on New Years eve through the night. A special walnut cake is made for New Years eve with a lucky coin and is cut at Midnight on the 31st. On the 6th January is Epithany (Theofanos) and the lads train for a dip in the sea to be the winner to retrieve the Holy Cross from the local priests around the island. Leading up to this the local priest goes from house to house blessing each home with Holy Water....

Well a small taster of some of what happens for now......

Winter is fab and tonight being the longest night we now start counting up again towards summer 2014 from tomorrow.

Wishing all a Healthy and Happy Christmas

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »
Thanks for that insight into what's happening over the next few days Lesley Happy Christmas

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Sounds wonderful
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
It is lovely and we do get visitors from around the world unfortunately though there are no direct flights into Corfu from Mid November until end of March a shame really a missed opportunity perhaps for an alternative eco/village/walking/cycling/bird watching/olive picking/photography/wild flowers & fauna etc type of stay..... Internal flights can be expensive so whilst you can pick up flights with Easyjet and various other carriers via Athens or Thessaloniki from all European airports the internal flights then price the opportunity mostly out of the market such a shame.  Plus would need to, in my own opinion only, budget for a car or some form of transport and need heating most of the summer accommodation doesn't have this however having said that we do get visitors and they can book into accommodation with heating so its not out of reality but only for those looking for this type of winter break.
Now Easter another fab time but we can discuss that another time and of course then flight options change certainly for UK visitors as there are direct flights in April.........

Offline H A S

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
Wishing every one in sanstef and all forum members a very happy Christmas and all the best for 2014.
from Harry and Olga

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:35 AM »
Wishing you all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year in Avliotes and San Stefanos
Tony And Linda
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
Thanks Lesley.  It sounds absolutely lovely and a lot more going on than what I thought.  I might just arrive one winter day for a little bit of exploration, who knows.   :)

Offline RedroseMax

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
Thanks Lesley.  It sounds absolutely lovely and a lot more going on than what I thought.  I might just arrive one winter day for a little bit of exploration, who knows.   :)

Sounds idyllic,and,unlike here,stress free  :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni