Author Topic: World Cup Football 2014  (Read 29080 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Football 2014
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
It's great watching football in Greece.

I'm sure even the dedicated soccer-haters in the forum will wish Greece well on November 15th and 19th when they take on Romania in the play-offs. If Greece get to Brazil, nights in Athens Bar when they are playing will be unmissable - loud, passionate, fervent and free raki if they score.

No way will England or Greece win the World Cup, but being there is exciting. And, of course, Andros Townsend is half Cypriot, half Jamaican, by background so there's a little toe for Hellas in the England squad.

The World Cup's like sex - if you're very lucky you get to take part every four years! 

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
I am not a football fan but we were lucky enough to be in San Stefanos several years ago when Greece beat Portugal in the European Cup.The atmosphere was electric and you can imagine the aftermath,everyone was out all night partying.It was magic!!

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
We were in Majorca one year when Spain beat Germany and the whole town went crazy after the game.  All the stuff you usually see on TV, flags being waved from cars, kids on motorbikes, horns blaring out... one of the tribute act bars had a lady who burst into Viva Espana - what a great night!!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
We don't really care for football and we don't watch TV when we are on holiday although we would join in and watch if England or Greece were playing but I would not like to have to sit through all the matches that are screened especially at the bar of the apartments that we will be staying at tbh, much prefer listening to music whilst enjoying a night cap or two. However there are enough bars/taverna's for each and everyone of us to do what we enjoy doing whether it be watching football or listening to music!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »
My wife and I are looking forward to the world cup.  We normally go to Barras for such events.  We were in San Stef when that Germany thrashing occurred but still managed to enjoy ourselves.  We are not fanatical England football fans, although we obviously shout our support, but we just love the whole buzz that football gives (most) people.  We are praying Greece get through to the finals as the atmosphere will be great.  You dont really have to be a football supporter to enjoy the whole ambience me thinks.
We were in Barras that famous night as well Rod watching on the tv behind the bar
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Jules, it was definitely over the line!   ;D

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »
Jules, it was definitely over the line!   ;D
Even more of a great night for us as all goals were scored by Liverpool players who we support  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
Jules,why do you support Liverpool players when they earn such vast amounts of money ??

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
They all earn stupid money,so no reason not to support liverpool.

Offline strogs

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
I hate football normally, but I remember watching England beating Germany sat outside a bar in Kalami, Corfu.  The atmosphere was brilliant, probably all the better 'cos we won but I agree watching football in Greece is different to at home.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »
Thank you for all the feedback so far - its much appreciated.......

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
 The best holiday footie experience i had was when i went to Halkidiki, and stayed in Hanioti in 1990.
World cup semi final, Germany-England.  It was only a small village, every bar and restaurant was jam packed.Atmosphere was amazing, if you dont like football im sure you would have had an experience that night.
The worst part about it was the Greek power company was holding power cuts and that evening was scheduled to have cuts after the footie.And in typical Greek style, flip, out went the lights as the whistle was blown for full time.
OMG....What about extra time, and penalties? Everybody was going crazy,then across the square lights came on in a bar, they had their own generator.Have never seen so many people moove so fast to get to the tv.
Power did come back on in time for the shoot out, but it was an amazing night.Pity about the result.

Offline fanntosseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »
hi me & my wife love our football.we have watched so many england games in the athens bar fantastic.cant wait for next summer. san stefanos & the world cup this is sex chocolate & beer rolled into one.even when we get beat who could be unhappy for long in san stefanos?. footballs coming home yahoo. ;D

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
They all earn stupid money,so no reason not to support liverpool.
jules post quite clearly states that she supports  liverpool players                                                                                                                   

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 01:10:01 AM »
I would asume if you support liverpool players,you would support the club itself.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni