Author Topic: 'Free' sun beds impending debacle?  (Read 20940 times)

Offline Steve B

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 'Free' sun beds impending debacle?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »
Good to hear the sunbeds are free. We were really surprised, last year, when we asked how much the beds were and was told they were free. I think it's a good idea, because you then feel obliged to have something to eat or drink in one of the bars, not that you have to of course.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
Good to hear the sunbeds are free. We were really surprised, last year, when we asked how much the beds were and was told they were free. I think it's a good idea, because you then feel obliged to have something to eat or drink in one of the bars, not that you have to of course.
If I was the owner of one of the tavernas offering free sunbeds I would be more than a little miffed if you didn't have something to eat and drink in my taverna after enjoying the comfort of my sunbeds and umbrellas.Who do you think paid for them in the first place? They didn't get them free. Angelos' mother at Waves is out early every morning tidying up and sorting out the beds and you think it would be alright if you lay on those beds and then went somewhere else to eat and drink!!!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
 P.S.And another thing ,did you know that the Taverna owners with sunbeds on the beach pay a rent to the council of between 10.000 and 14.000 euros per annum for their strip of sand,how are they going to claw that back if people bring their own food and drink or go somewhere else to eat.

Offline Steve B

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »
As I said, after using the sunbeds you feel obliged to have something to eat in one of the bars. I'm sure if the bar owners were not making any money from the people using the beds, then they would start charging.
Also, I fully appreciate all the work everyone does, to make every ones holiday special & memorable.
I was asking the question because we were surprised they were free because every resort we've been to, the price to rent a sunbed has been ridiculous.

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
Obviously the free sunbeds are for the use of the customers of the tavernas ie Mistral etc.  It would certainly be extremely rude to use the sunbeds and not buy food and drink at  the taverna. They have to get up really early to sort the sunbeds out and rake the sand and so on and there must be quite a few ruined brollies each year 'cos of the wind!!. As Jim said we ate most days at Mistral whether we used their sunbeds or not. They are great people and the food is really, really good - love their courgette fritters; spanokopita; turopita and sardines in fact everything!

I think sometimes they suffered from people not wanting to sit up the "seaweed end" - we don't mind; it's not like English seaweed and in fact the children and should I say "young adults" loved having seaweed fights! Oh the fun you can have ... :D ;D

Gillie

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni