Author Topic: Smoking in Tavernas  (Read 68376 times)

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking in Tavernas
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
Interesting debate.
On the one hand I can see that a polite request from a non smoker might do the trick. Equally it might inflame the situation (pun intended)
I say it comes down to the law of the land. If there are no legal restrictions to smoking inside/outside restaurants and bars etc I would say you just have to put up with it or take action to mitigate. Alternatively go on the offensive.
Its a holiday though - leave the hassle at home........
We will be in glorious San Stef for the 3rd time from Friday will take up the sitting upwind idea.....       

#
Well said and have a great holiday, lucky you, we enjoyed 3 weeks in SS earlier this year, going to Spain in January and back to SS hopefully in June, counting the days ................ :) :) :)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »
We're there 30th June for two weeks Lilly........ Perros!

Kernowfox

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
Thanks lilly

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:13 AM »
We're there 30th June for two weeks Lilly........ Perros!

Hi Gav, we are looking at 23rd June, I must sort it out soon, going to go independent again, Thomas Cook flights seem the cheapest and fly out at 10.15 am so a little later than last year, looking forward to our week in Spain but a different type of holiday for us on a Riu A/I, going to London for Christmas too, thankfully I don't put weight on otherwise I would be like a Christmas pudding come June. ;D ;D

Gavlah1973

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
Been to a Riu in Mexico..... usually very high quality

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »
Been to a Riu in Mexico..... usually very high quality

Yes, they are usually very high quality, stayed at one once in Isla Canela in Costa de la Luz, food was amazing. just going to chill and relax.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 01:19:18 AM »
The fight is over.  It ended in complete farce.  Every time the bell went for the next round, the referee YIANNIS would place a towel on the vacated stool in the corners.  Smokin Joe Jimbo blatantly lit a cigarette at the end of every round and his two corner men, lilly and debra had the biggest cigars alight the whole time.  Somehow a picket fence was erected and kernowfox sat on it at every opportunity.  Gavlah and loftyscot constantly bombarded Winj and Jimbo with what looked like minature pots of jam.  Andy, Rover and Sellsy are demanding a rematch.

Who won?  Who cares?  Night night boxing fans.   ;)

Kernowfox

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:20 AM »
My picket fence has collapsed ........as an ex smoker still craving ...... I think I actually like secondary "used" "preloved" particularly marlbofough lights.........

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 02:04:40 AM »
Sorry I missed this one grapple fans! Will try to catch it on Sky + 1  ;)

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
WinJ

I am a non-smoker and my wife is an ex-smoker now. When she smoked I enjoyed being able to sit with her right through a meal when in San Stef whilst she lit up, whereas back home she would go to the smoking area if she wanted a puff after her main course. Therefore in Greece I like the idea of smokers and non-smokers mingling as the smoke tends to drift away harmlessly when dining outside.

I guess it is all down to opinion, personally I find the voice and laughter traits of others more irritating.....you know the type that seems to think they must show they have the loudest laugh in the world or demonstrate they know the answer to everything by telling everyone their opinion.

In fact in the not so old days in Edinburgh, the pubs and restaurants used to have a lovely Gallic smell when the French arrived for the rugby weekend and you could smell the different smoke. Also I remember visiting places in the north of Scotland when the peat smoke and the pipe smoke mixed pleasantly in the hotels. Great nights!

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
Loftyscot

As I said in my original post, a cigarette at the end of meal, when most people have finished eating is acceptable.  The four people on the next table lit up before the starters and chain smoked throughout.  In my opinion extremely bad manners!

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 02:53:28 AM »
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

We have been coming to San Stefanos for 8 consecutive years and returned last Monday having enjoyed a fabulous 10 days.

The only thing that spoiled it was the smoking in the tavernas and it seems to be getting worse.  We were in Yiannis one night and four people on the next table smoked continuously all through the meal.  Little Prince was another taverna where people seemed to smoke continuously, as against previous years when it was one cigarette at the end of a meal when most people had finished their meals.  We ate at Olympia 3 times and did not see (or smell) one smoker.

I really do think it is about time the taverna owners had smoking and non-smoking sections and ask as you enter which you prefer.

Sorry to bring up this controversial topic again, as I seem to remember a heated discussion some time ago but I do think a solution should be found, as leaving it to the discretion and courteousness of the people who smoke does not seem to be working.

Sorry, but I have to reply to this.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in my life so I think I am non biased but posts like this make me mad!

Greece is not like the UK with its endless political correctness, so if you want to be controlled like a robot stay at home! Greece, thank God is still a place where common sense and tolerance is still the norm so don't expect the Gestapo anti-smoking police in San Steph.

Going to Greece and expecting it to be smoke free is like going to Iceland and be surprised by the snow!

Everyone smokes in Greece and I would not want it any other way.

If you want sunshine and no smoke go to Italy, no smokers allowed there.

Andy

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
Andy, Winj never said he (she?) expected a smoke free environment. Read his post. He only said that 4 people chain smoking during a meal was OTT, no complaints to anybody choosing to light a cigarette after their meal and I can agree with that.

Surely whether people are smokers or non-smokers, a bit of common courtesy doesn't go amiss.

I'm now an ex smoker, been quit for over a year after smoking for nearly 20 so I think I'm qualified to see both sides of the argument.

I think the Nafsika gets it right with having a seperate smoking / non smoking area, although I'm sure the smokers will be along shortly to say they don't want to be segregated.

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »
Gillywoo

As you say common sense and tolerance should be expected anywhere not just in Greece.  Would you be happy to have your evening meal sitting next to a shirtless smelly person.  I don't think so.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
Oh God - that's ruled me out on two counts!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni