Author Topic: Smoking in Tavernas  (Read 68374 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking in Tavernas
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
Don't ask sellsy. You won't like the reply.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
I do think WinJ got a bit of a hard time. If you read the original entry it was not about 'smoking', it was about 4 people chain smoking all through a meal. Even when I was a smoker (and was for 30 years to my regret) I would have found that pretty unacceptable. The suggestion was not to ban smoking but to have smoking sections - what's wrong with that? I know that smoking is part of the greek culture as I've been travelling there for 25 years but maybe it's time to move with the times? For the record, if someone was smoking  at the table next to me I would not be bothered but I understand that some would be.
Frankie

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
Without entering the debate again, Frankie, which I don't want to do, people eat at different times. Some people may be on the Metaxa (spelling) and fags when others are arriving.

Nafsika, apart from excellent food, has a very large non-smoking area, which I commend to those who find the smell of tobacco more irritating than the pervasive smell of cheap perfume, mosquito repellent and barbecue lighter-fuel.

As Andy pointed out, Little Prince tried this and had several empty tables for the night.

I have always been, and will always be, sensitive to the wishes of those nearby.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
Jimbo, I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you weren't. This isn't about you ;D I was merely voicing my opinion that I thought WinJ got a bit of a hard time

Frankie

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
Passive smoking, or passive cheap perfume, mosquito repellent and barbecue lighter-fuel?

Upon reflection I'll go for the latter, but I'm funny when it comes to my lungs.

I hope that's helpful!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:19:39 PM by cambridge »

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I really did not intend to post again and I don't think I will get involved in any other topic.

I just wanted to answer Jimbo's recommendations on non-smoking tavernas.

I have never in all the 8 years I have been coming to San Stefanos, at different times of year. seen any non-smoking tables in Little Prince.  Are they the 2 tables you have to vacate when they set them alight?

We have been to Nafsika twice.  The first time we were waiting for our food when a coach arrived and 6/8 people, with cases, went inside.  They came out shortly and were greeted effusively by the, I assume, owner and waiters.  We were still waiting for our food when they got served!  We decided, another year, to give it a second chance.  Both our main choices were either sold out or unavailable.  We haven't been back since.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
The non-smoking tables didn't last long. They were near the main entrance on the upper level.

We've always had excellent service and food at Nafsika, as have many others, and will be eating there next week. Usually, outsiders get more attention than residents.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
I have found this thread and the other one from earlier this year very interesting and overall quite funny due to the reaction it draws.

I've never smoked but my wife used to and we're of an age when we can remember smoked filled pubs/clubs/restaurants etc etc which was a natural consequence of going out. I take on board everyones views in good faith and feel that Jimbo's advice re: asking if the offenders would mind stopping and/or reducing their intake a fair one but with one major proviso.

In today's day and age any polite request of someone, of whatever age or sex, to stop smoking, swearing in front of children/women, pick up their litter, stop their kids from running amok, stop pushing-in, or whatever the circumstance can often be met with a heated response suffient enough to spoil you're evening or worse, your whole holiday. We can all think of incidences when we have either said something and wished we hadn't or wanted to but were reluctant to do so in fear of the reaction.

Jimbo says he's curteous to others and having never met him I have no reason to disbelieve him however there are hosts of others who aren't. Mores the pity.   

I suppose the bottomline is you treat each situation on its merits and act accordingly or not. Just for the record I wish the world was a more considerate place in general.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
Tredegar Boy, that's a well balanced and astute observation.  Its such a shame that people have to live in fear of a rude response to a polite request.

For the record, my chain smoking in-laws light up before and after each course.

I agree with the live and let live approach, particularly when on holiday.  Or just ask to move upwind of it if its upset you (might not be possible at Little Prince when its packed out!).

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Both my other half and myself are ex smokers (twice), but to be honest I would move to another table or say nothing if sat next to a smoker rather than risk having an aggresive response which I would find upsetting. Unfortunately there seems so much aggression around these days in many areas that I don't want to take the risk and yet I do find others smoke unpleasant I just wouldn't say so.

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
I have to share this.  Been shopping in a nearby town today.  I picked up a couple of charity shop books and sat on a bench reading while I waited for my husband.  A lady sat down at the far end and I gave her a friendly smile.  She said 'I'm not being anti-social but I want a ciggie so I'll just sit here and turn away'.  I nearly fell off the bench laughing.  Luckily a woman called to her and she left, so I didn't have to explain myself.

Just my type of smoker - polite and courteous.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Just for the facts - I've had some severely aggressive attacks by non-smokers. Maybe they should have a cig and calm down!

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
There were 3 non smoking tables in the upper level of the Little Prince last week when we were there.No one sat down at these tables till well after 10 pm,and two of the customers smoked.  ::)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
Have to say we ate in Nafsika one evening and had to wait a long time for our meal I think the residents were seen to first.On saying that we were welcomed as always by Spiros and given the choice of smoking or not.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
Residents have to eat by 9 pm. 9:30 is a good time to turn up.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni