Author Topic: Smoking in Tavernas  (Read 68355 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking in Tavernas
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
WINKIE - You're right. This debate is a a stub in the ashtray.

Jimbo - Point 1 - We were not asked if we minded.
Point 2 - Sanctimonious I am not, and what 'dreaming of fantasy' implies, I have no idea.
As for not liking to be challenged, pot and kettle spring to mind.

Point 1 : I assume they weren't at your table.
Point 2 : Read the entire sentence, not just the first clause. It does make a difference.

I wasn't there, so I don't qualify for pot or kettle. You didn't make a request, did you? Are you incapable of a polite request? 

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
It's the the end of the fourth round and Winj is yelling at her trainer Sellsy.  Sellsy's right hand man Rover is pleading with Winj to keep calm.  "We can still win this" he tells Winj.  Jimbo has been "showboating" and it has not gone down too well with Winj's supporters.  Come on!   ;D

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:59 PM »
I have also been called "sanctimonious"' by Jimbo in a previous thread on smoking. He seems to like the reference! The fact is that smoking is not allowed in "enclosed public areas" in Greece. It is not the place of customers to enforce the law, it is the owners who should do this. The distance between tables is of no relevance.

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
The Little Prince used to have 'No Smoking' tables - but they were usually empty.

On a busy night you would see people walk in, spot the sign on the table and hesitate. The sign was then swiftly removed and the people would then sit down  :)

Smoking is part of the Greek psych and I think it will be a long time before they try and enforce no smoking rules again.

Being a smoker (quickly dives under the table), I love Greece as for once I am not huddled outside trying to grab a crafty smoke - although since the ban in this country we rarely go out now and prefer to entertain at home.

I, like Jimbo try to think of others, but sometimes when deep in conversation you may not be aware that your cigarette is annoying someone else. As Jimbo says - all it takes is a polite word!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
Don't be naughty, Rod.

Does "... my husband might have up-ended their table!" count as courteous?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
Rover - I only use the word "sanctimonious" when it's appropriate.

The law in Greece, as here, states that one may smoke in a non-enclosed space. It follows that owners are fulfilling the law by permitting it in non-enclosed spaces. Duh!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
Sorry Jimbo, I got carried away.   :-[

Gavlah1973

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Actually Jimbo it's not as simple as that over here. It has to have a % of non enclosed space not further than a certain distance away from a certain point.
When I worked for Carlsberg I went with some customers to Glasgow to have a look at what smoking solutions a pubs had put in prior to the ban taking effect in England.
One guy was going mental about the council. He'd covered the drinking area at the front of his pub with a very heavy duty gazebo type material.
He'd then got a wall about 3' high wall round the garden. The wall had Perspex panels on top of the walls about 2' high. There was then a 4/5' gap from the top of the Perspex to the awning.
He was told he had to rip it down as it was non compliant.

There was loads of this confusion when it first came in to force

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
The referee Caz has no control whatsover and has clearly had enough.  Caz has left the ring.  The replacement referee is making his way to the ring and by his demeanor it looks like he will sort things.  The crowd/forum gasps as they realise the identity of the replacement referee.  YIANNIS.  He has obviously come out of retirement.  This should be a good clean fight now.  My god!  Whatever is YIANNIS doing with all those towels?  Oh no!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
Any truth in the rumour that the humble Kumquat is being used as a gum shield?

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
I was going out tonight but think I'll stay in now!

Any chance the Delfino Blu could be booked for the hosting the 'live'debate......or should I just catch up with reading an unbiased report on Tripadvisor.  :o

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
Re Olympia.... When we were in there over the last couple of weeks anyone smoking went outside to the outside tables without being asked to. I didn't really pay much attention to this at the time but it was very courteous of them.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »
I'm not going to say much else, but I thought we were talking about about outside anyway.

Kernowfox

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Interesting debate.
On the one hand I can see that a polite request from a non smoker might do the trick. Equally it might inflame the situation (pun intended)
I say it comes down to the law of the land. If there are no legal restrictions to smoking inside/outside restaurants and bars etc I would say you just have to put up with it or take action to mitigate. Alternatively go on the offensive.
Its a holiday though - leave the hassle at home........
We will be in glorious San Stef for the 3rd time from Friday will take up the sitting upwind idea.....       

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
Nothing is going to solve the problem although I must add that it is only a problem for some in all fairness, I doubt the taverna/bar owners in Sans Stefanos see it has a problem as like most Greeks they are too laid back to worry about such things plus customers are customers whether they smoke or not so opinions whether they are constructive or otherwise will change nothing. No laws are be broken and even if they were I doubt very much that the 'thought' police will  arrive in Greece anytime soon, there will be no segregation and of that I am sure. By all means feel free to approach each and everyone Taverna owner and put forward your case for non smoking and smoking area's but be prepared for rejection and quite right too, it is their country and we are merely visitors and for me I am far too busy enjoying my holiday to bother about someone smoking, getting drunk or running along the beach wearing nothing but a smile, although I must admit that I was not struck on Gavlah's pink man thong which he was sporting this year, I spotted him on the webcam, bring back the leopard print one Gav ;D ;D ;D but it is his choice. :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni