Author Topic: Who are you kidding Thomson?  (Read 21335 times)

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Who are you kidding Thomson?
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
We are fortunate to be going back next year and have also booked two of our daughters and their partners into the Little Prince for two weeks in August.
I then tried to book flights from Exeter to coordinate our travel plans, flights which had risen sharply in price from £518 to £648.98 per person (basic flight, no bags etc)....(we are staying at Margarita's as one of the suites has disabled access and shower).
Richard and I then decided that after a fortnight all together with a 2yr old we might need a third week to recover!
Phoned Thomson as we were unable to book a three week return flight online and were told the price for the two of us from Exeter to Corfu from 8-29/8 would be.......£1571, basic return flight no bags!
Seriously?
Could anyone give an idea of when sleazy jet flights for August are likely to go live?..no way are we going to pay that Mr Thomson!

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you kidding Thomson?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »
Try booking one way flights both ways, instead of a return flight for 3 weeks. Sometimes can work out lots cheaper.

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »
Hi,
Yep, we tried that too and funnily enough Thomson are very sorry, but they "do not operate flights to Corfu from Exeter on that date"
Mmmmm I think you are telling porkies because quite obviously you do!
They then kindly quoted outward leg of £900+ From Gatwick. We didn't bother to put in the return leg!

Offline johny rebel

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
Easyjet flights due to be released for all remaining summer flights during October

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Thomsons always manipulate their advertising  - - i.e. last room, pricing etc  etc
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
Thomsons always manipulate their advertising  - - i.e. last room, pricing etc  etc

Wifie fell for that old trick in June,only two seats blah blah,got onboard and were a good dozen or so empty.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »
We've all been caught once - - but hopefully not twice...

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
There may be empty seats going out,however,the plane may well be full coming back.

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
We've spoken directly to Thomson's "repackage team" and to quote "there are loads" on both legs.
We could go 8-22 and 15-29 or indeed 22-29 as those dates fit within the general 1/2 week package. What we cannot do is book 2 x single flights or 1 x 3 week flight ( unless we pay £1500) which I think is a bit steep.
If we have to, we will, but going to look at Easyjet first.....much more hassle, but hopefully cheaper.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:36:33 AM »
That's a crazy and unfair price...

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
Thomson are having a Scooby-Doo.

We want to fly from Bristol on 11th July next year. Current price per person £318 (£448 from Cardiff which is only 60 miles further west - explain that one). I tried the "one-way" idea and was quoted £249.99 each from Gatwick as they had no flights that went to Corfu on the day I wanted and from the airport I wanted. What!!!!!

The return quote was £289.99 each which is a total cost of £539.98 x 3 = £1619.94. and that's without baggage, extra space seats (I'm 6'1" and my 15 year old is 6'2" - my wife's a midget 5'7").

What a load of *@#!$.

According to the Telegraph last week the price of airfares has only gone up 2% since the summer of last year. that may or may not be true for those flying from in and around London but certainly isn't from the provincial airports out west. 

I'll keep checking everyday as I ain't going to miss a trip.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
It's pretty simple to explain Tredegar Boy -
Thomsons do not want fly-only passengers, plus it's likely that their package sales are v strong and indicating near-full capacity for when u want to go next year.
Simple supply and demand.

My advice is to wait for Easyjet July flights release and book them straight away. The one downer is that Ejet flights to Corfu, from Bristol, are crap times!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:57:43 PM by Bristle Boy »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
I think Bristle Boy is right. 2011-2012 it costed about £12 per passenger for a full 737 to take off from Bristol. It's cheaper at Gatwick (around £10.50), surprisingly enough.

Jet fuel is very expensive at the moment - so nobody's making very much money for the flight. But a package holiday is going to bump this value up quite a lot.

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
I agree Bristol flight times are not good we have gone with them the last two years ,but if it saves pounds we are willing to put up with them.Have to admit we are not travelling with  young children.

Offline ybroc1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
Just booked for next year. difficult choice , Romanza  2nd june, two adults, 456 each or 6th june,  581 each. Ermm think 2nd it is.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni