Author Topic: A bit blue and yearning to go back  (Read 16837 times)

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
A bit blue and yearning to go back
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
Still feeling blue despite being back from San Stef for 4 days and it got me wondering what it is about SS in particular that makes you yearn for it so much when you are home?

I was chatting to David (hubby) about it last night as he is quite down as well and I think for us it’s a number of things.   Firstly, it was our first holiday in 4 years due to having Nate and lack of finances and so we had looked forward to this holiday for well over a year.  Secondly we were going with my mum, dad, sisters, bro-in-law and nieces so a real family affair and as I live in Kent and they in Staffs/Derbyshire, it was a real treat to spend so much time with them. 

Thirdly, it was a break from our stresses and worries with Nate – he is very speech delayed and is starting at kindergarten in a prep school in Sept which brings its own set of worries as to how he will get on as he is not potty trained yet either………!  The school seem supportive and he has been at nursery for past 3 years who were beyond lazy and did nothing to encourage his speech development so it’s been a long year of speech therapy/assessments and paedritician appts which is why we were so glad to get away.

Whilst in SS I had two weeks of not worrying about money, Nate, work or any of the associated stress of our daily lives at home.  Nate had an absolute ball and loved every second and endeared himself to pretty much everyone (the man who runs the ice cream parlour in town became his firm friend in particular) and so we didn’t worry about his lack of speech or his imminent start at school at all and it was so lovely to not have that worry and pressure even just for a little while.  :)

I think for me, San Stefanos is this magical place where nothing bad ever happens and I feel safe and happy there and maybe its because I've been going there since I was a child and it is embedded in my soul or something, I don't know.   I realise that is a very rose tinted view, but it’s how I genuinely feel and it’s a place where I am never stressed and always smiling which makes it so special. 

I love everything about it, the people most of all but also the feeling of opening the shutters in the morning and your first feel of the sun on your skin and looking out at the pool and the beach, the sunsets, the smell of the place, the food, the sound of the crickets, the smell of the flowers along the roadside, the language, the feeling of everything being right with the world, it just all combines to make the perfect place.   I physically ache for the place when I get home and this time was worse than most and I am struggling to get back into my normal routine and feel very blue  :'(

Sorry for unloading but I know you are the only people who will understand how I feel  :)

Gavlah1973

Re: A bit blue and yearning to go back
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
We were discussing this whilst we were there.

We firmly believe its the people.  I've been to prettier resorts than San Stef and if pushed I prefer Skala in Kefalonia over San Stef slightly but the Corfiot people are amazing.

I also think that because so many folk return so many times everyone's holiday is that bit more chilled out.

No spending a week trying to find your feet, no wondering where to eat, no worry about changing money.
No waiting for the Thomson rep because you have a question..... just ask the person on the next sunbed as they will probably know more than the rep!

I think all this helps to give a very chilled out vibe

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Great that it gave you a couple of stress free weeks I think from what we have seen how great the locals are with the children

Offline babs56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
Hi silverstar,

What a brilliant right up you have summed up san stef perfectly, like you we have been going for a number of years and it is just amazing how you are made to feel so welcome by all the locals and fellow travellers alike. I think because you feel so safe there you relax very quickly into your holiday, All of my nieces and nephews have grown up there and still like to go with there own friends and partners, like you we returned home two weeks ago and are already counting down to the next holiday .

Offline Jacksi

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
We have travelled extensively around the world and as I said to Mike (husband) its only only place where you can feel relaxed whether you are on the beach or whatever you are doing and no one cares what you look like or what you are wearing - there are no posers, no fashion police,  no people walking the beach showing off their model like figures, etc if you know what I mean. No one is bothered!!

Talking of money - I deal with the bills and everything like that all year but the two weeks that we are on  holiday its over to Mike so my holiday is then totally stress free and I dont even see a bill for the meals!!!

Is such a wonderful relaxing place - I doubt there is anywhere else that makes you feel this way.

Both we too are feeling down now too and its a long long time to summer next year!!!  Although my daughter is taking me to New York for my Christmas present (last year's present) in November but that will be a totally different trip!!!!!

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
We were feeling the same, so as Thomson prices have dropped we've succumbed and booked up for next year.  ;D

£675 each for half board at the Nafsika at the end of July.
That's a £125 cheaper than when they first came out a couple of months ago.
We are happy with that price but no doubt the prices will drop some more now that we have booked.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
I'm looking to re-book as well but waiting till after Christmas I think as the flights are pretty steep at the moment and around £140 more each than I paid this year.

Think I will book independently again as there will be a few of us again.

Its nice to have something to look forward to and it will be here before you know it I suppose :)

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
As you say its nice to have something to look forward to but it is soooooooooo far away.

Looked at going independently with flights with Jet2 and booking direct with the Nafsika but with the cost of a transfer included there was only about £20 in it.
But we are tied to the school hols so there is never much between going independently and going with Thomsons.

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
We're keeping our eyes out for the Easyjet / Ryanair flights for the end of May. They're due out in early Sept.  By then it'll only be 9 months away... it'll be here before you know it - and your little one will have even more fun next time, when everyone remembers him from this year.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
ERob t.c. that seems a really, really good price to me!  One who also needs school hols.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
The thing with San Stef and being a regular is the instant you arrive you are relaxed and chilled as you know what to expect. You save up probably all year round and there is no stress wondering if you have done the right thing in going back. The locals all make for a great holiday as they are all so friendly and helpful. We go next week for our 13th time and have already booked for next year so something to look forward to on our return.  :).
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
We were pleased with the price.
We've been keeping an eye on the price since we got back 3 weeks ago and they have dropped a lot in the last few days so we thought we would strike while the iron was hot. Thomsons must need a few bookings at the moment.
In fact it is cheaper than last year and we booked a couple of days after we got back last year.

Offline chrissie d

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
We booked for next years holiday,have been watching the price since we came back a few weeks ago.Normally go from gatwick but thomsons were offering a bigger discount from birmingham for a day flight as well  :)

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
Likewise, booked Monday after watching the prices drop. Romanza end of July £579. Over £500 less than a month ago for the four of us. We found the same flights were so expensive it was actually cheaper booking with Thomsons than independantly.

Offline Mary and Geoff

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
We also booked yesterday have been watching prices since they came out, we fly from Birmingham and have paid less than last year it pays to keep an eye on prices and book it at the price your happy with.
Mary and Geoff

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni