Author Topic: Delfino Blu.................  (Read 149501 times)

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Delfino Blu.................
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
I have eaten at the Delfino Blu several times in 2008/9 and have always really liked it and had good food and service.

I suggested to my parents that we eat there during our stay as for one reason or another they had never got round to eating there and quite fancied giving it a try especially after we had said how lovely it was.

My husband went to book a table during the day for 10 of us and was instructed by Kostas to deal with one of the waiters who would take all the details.  Said waiter (who shall remain nameless…) then proceeded to pull faces and sigh and make out like it was a massive inconvenience to accommodate us and eventually said he would do it.   ???

We turned up at 8pm that night to be told that it was too windy to sit outside and they had no tables free indoors so they had cancelled our table!!   Well, let’s just say that they were told in no uncertain terms that it was not too windy and we wanted them to sort the table sharpish!!

We were told to go to the pool bar whilst they did the table and the bar man couldn’t have less personality or looked less fed up…..he was completely miserable.   By this point my parents are looking at me as if the say ‘and you think this place is nice?’ and I am wondering what the hell is going on….

Eventually the table is ready and the same waiter who took the booking is our waiter – rude, condescending and disdainful come to mind when thinking of his behaviour – the food was good but I could tell that nobody was really enjoying the meal because of how we had been treated.  The waiter must have overheard some of our less than happy comments because at the end of the meal he bought us free drinks and plates of fruit – but the damage was done.

By the time we left we were really annoyed and I spoke to a couple of my Greek friends in the town and they basically said that that is how Kostas trains his staff to act and if you are not staying at the hotel then you are not always treated particularly well.  They think that they are the crème de la crème and unless you obviously have a lot of money, they are not interested.

I will never go there again and will also be putting a scathing review on trip adviser.  Kostas needs to sort it out!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Delfino Blu.................
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Wow! Stand by for action!

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
What a shame not very good customer service then I thought with the Economic climate they would have been pleased with such a big party and doing all they could so you would want to go back

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Wasn't it the Delfino where that person was frogmarched off the premises a couple of years ago when they went for a look round!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
How disappointing for you especially as it was recommended by yourself to your parents. Not somewhere on our list to visit anyway
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:24 PM »
It's a shame. The Mango Bar staff are really great and very friendly.

Kostas doesn't mind taking over most of the beach-bed industry without checking the bank-balances of those supine in the solar rays!

San Stef is (in my view) an odd location for a "boutique" hotel. I have stayed in some of the world's top hotels courtesy of the TV production companies I have worked for. Top places never sneer. They don't know exactly who you are, and rude staff are out of the door like greased lightning.

I'd describe it as a pocket of bling in a tapestry of honest down-to-earth unpretentiousness.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »
Correct Gav, it was! She is friend of ours who has been going to AS for c20 years.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:47:51 AM »
 What exactly is a "boutique hotel"? For us part of the charm of the islands is the simple, clean, basic accommodation.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:12:54 AM »
What a shame - we have experienced none of what you said Jimbo.  Just amazing kindness and generosity from ALL staff at Delfino - this year and previous years.  There was one member of staff behind the bar at the wedding who didn't seem quite 'with it' so can't believe it was Silvio the sommelier who served at the cocktail bar - he is lovely. I know Kostas is a very very hard task master - was talking to Spiros at the Nafsika who said how much he admired Kostas as a business man (maybe not personally) and how pleased the hotel was in the village as it had changed the face of it a little - Spiros felt the village began a decline with Thomson monopoly about 1983 and out came the football shirts etc. This seems to be changing...............

I love the beds outside the Mango Bar and the lovely bed man Alex..............

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »
Debra - I agree - we have eaten there several times before and my husband has always had lovely chats with Kostas and we have had a lovely time, hence why I wanted to go with my family...........!

It was really terrible and we did have a chat to Speros (Nafsika) about it afterwards as my mum was fuming and he did say exactly what you said, that he is a great business man but personally leaves a bit to be desired and that his staff are trained in a certain way.

I think the locals also have questioned where Kostas made his money and there are many rumours on this...........!

However, my parents and sisters went to sit on the beds outside Mango bar a few days later and had a lovely day there and some nice food although when my bro-in-law went to pay the bill he made the grim discovery that they cook pretty much everything in the microwave.............!  >:(

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
I agree Jimbo, and suspect that its impact on SS ha been negligible. I am concerned, however, that if I travel with Thomson I may have to buy a soccer shirt? Is there a list of U and Non U teams?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »
Anything except Man United!

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
I don't think Kostas would be pleased to read this review at all! It'll be interesting to see how a less than favourable review goes down on Trip Advisor! Its certainly not the way he would expect his staff to behave.  I agree with Debra that we didn't experience this at all in our homeymoon stay there this year - the four male waiters/bar staff could not have been more attentive and friendly, I'm intrigued which one it was. Maybe there's some truth in it being one rule for residents and another for visitors - which it shouldn't be of course.  How disappointing though for you Silverstar, especially as it wasn't your first visit there and wanted to show it off.

Kostas told me he used to be a professional footballer (goalkeeper) in Germany and on the mainland in Greece.  He certainly seems to have a reputation as a businessman who works his staff extremely hard.  We met Dimitri (I think?) from Brouklis in Arillas (great restaurant), and it seems Kostas' reputation is the same there. We also heard the rooms/hotel next to Delfino (where the greek flag flies) were going to be a partnership with Kostas and another man, but that they had fallen out.

Offline Les Shark Boy

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
A real shame to read this as we we're thinking about going here one night, kind of having second thoughts now... :(

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Take the dog.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni