Author Topic: Restaurants & Gluten-Free  (Read 7272 times)

Offline stingray

• View Profile
Restaurants & Gluten-Free
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
In 4 weeks time my wife and I will be returning to San Stefanos after a 3 year break. However, last year my wife was diagnosed as suffering from Coeliac disease and her diet now needs to be Gluten free. It would be appreciated if anyone has previous experience of this over in San Stef whilst eating out. We've found even in the UK restaurants are not 'on the ball' re: this issue.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurants & Gluten-Free
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
You can get an info card available to download and print on the internet, just select the country that you are visiting and it will explain in your chosen language what your wife can and cannot eat, just google gluten free cards when visiting other countries and it should come up. Hope this helps.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »
Stingray, my Mother is caeliac, and has a very severe intolerence to gluten.
As Lilly says, download the info card in Greek to bring (I think its one the caeliac society website), as it is invaluable.
It explains all the things she won't be abe to eat, and also explains about cross contamination. My mum can't even tolerate chips cooked in the same oil that anything coated in breadcrumbs may have been in.

My Mum has visited us twice here, and has never had a problem in any taverna. She just gives the owner/waiter the card to read, so they fully understand.

Alot of Greek food is naturally guten free, as it is more often than not freshly prepared, made from scratch, and not covered in sauces. She generally has plenty of choice, and usually has a meat dish accompianied by a salad, and potatoes, not fries.

Places we've been to include Mediterranean Village, 2 Stars, Little Prince, Beachcombers, Armourada in Arillas, and Night Owl in Afionas, but to be honest I don't think there will be any taverna in the local area that can't accomodate her needs.
And she's not been ill after a meal here, unlike after going to a couple of places in UK professing to be 'gluten free'

e

Offline stingray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the info that has been really helpful and appreciated and has put my wife’s concerns to bed. Only 3 weeks to go now and looking forward to the return visit

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni