Author Topic: Abandoned Hotel ?  (Read 19167 times)

Offline Cheddar

• View Profile
Abandoned Hotel ?
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »
Morning All,

Returning to Ag Stefanos for the 3rd time (in 3 yrs - unheard of for us - but we're hooked !) in 5 weeks time, so thanks to all for keeping us up to date with all the news and views - informative and entertaining.

Can anyone tell me (just curiosity really), what the story is with huge, apparently abandoned hotel, which is just off "The Strip" past Yiannis Grill / Silver Moon Bar on the right as you head towards the hill.

When we were in San Stef last year I walked up the overgrown road and it certainly looked out of action, but also in relatively good shape as if it had been in use maybe 8 to 10 years ago ? But I have never seen it mentioned on this forum.

As I said can't wait to get back, love the place despite on the first visit not being too sure whether I did for the first 2 -3 days. My favourite spot is having an early evening beer or 2 (whilst waiting for my infinately better half to join me) at El Gecco and watching the resort come to life - bliss !

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Hotel ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
Check out "Corfu, abandoned hotel (Sunny Bay) in San Stefanos" on YouTube , for a look inside!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Never been used apparently.
We were told by an ex pat who is a long time resident of San Stef that it was wrangles over planning etc.
He also said that there is a darker side to the story.
When it became clear that it wouldn't open the local children had much fun using the windows etc as target practice. A blind eye was turned to any vandalism 'allegedly'

I used to stand and look over from the Tsaros pool this summer..... great view from up there of this hotel and appreciate how big it is

Offline Cheddar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »
Gav / Iris,

Thanks for the reply - pure curiosity on my behalf really as I had no idea it was there and it's pretty well invisible from the road. The aerial view on Google shows how large the hotel is - off to YouTube for a look round the interior.

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
my understanding of the hotel is its owned by 3 german brothers who have a predicament to say the least. 1 wants to sell for ex amount of euros i.e  the best price available . 1 wants to sell asap and take what they can get and bro number 3 doesn't want to sell at all . hmmm that seems very tricky to me . not saying this is 100%true but from a very good knowledgable local resident . it was open in I think 2001 and was german mainly hotel . been there a few times with the kids for a nose and its like time stood still . bet it was a beaut first time built .

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
It's an imposing building for sure!!!
I dont think the local hoteliers were sad to see its demise!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
Also a squat, unless they've chucked them out!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
The story we heard was that there was money problems somewhere along the line and that it now belongs to the bank. We wandered up a couple of years ago and Roy went inside whilst I waited outside ;D. Lots of graffiti and vandalism to be seen. Nice spot if someone could do something with it.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
The hotel did open for a short time, but closed around June 2007. If you google the name you can read reports on it.
I have heard various reasons as to why it closed down not sure if any are true!!
An All Inclusive hotel in SS would not have been popular with the locals that's for sure!

Offline shawty1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
The video mentioned was took by me and it includes someone who comes on this forum.

I heard it now belongs to the bank. It would seem that it did open for a short while and while in there, you could even see bookings had been made by people from the UK.
Romanza hotel, best place on earth.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
When it re opened I heard it was found to be dangerous in places (round the pool for instance)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
It was indeed open for a few years I remember it well - all German clientel - and then the council suddenly closed it
It was abandoned like the good ship Marie Celeste - - been inside and it's like they left mid-meal!! Funny!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »
Was told by mike,owner of romanza many years ago that it was closed due to sanitation problems.not conforming to standards.they didn't want the same problems as sidari had ,where they couldn't cope with the large increase of tourists.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:41 AM »
I have been told by many of my local friends over the years since it was built (it remained half-built for many years as well),
that it was far more complicated than that - -breech of planning consent - -health problems - - the council shut them down.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni