Author Topic: car hire or taxi ?  (Read 7506 times)

Offline 23alanb

• View Profile
car hire or taxi ?
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post my wife and i are going to san stefanos in sept. As we are doing this independantly i am looking for advice on whether to get a hire car picked up and dropped back off at the airport, this  will save on the cost of taxi to and from resort.However my dilema is that flight lands at 1935 allowing for time to complete formaltes of car hire will i have sufficient time to drive to san stefanos before dark and if not what is the drive like in the dark, is san stefanos easy to find. I am not bothered about driving in greece as have done it before and know what to expect just concerened about trying to find resort in the dark. So would i be better getting taxi to resort get car there for week and then drop it back of at the airport. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice  on this.
thanks alan

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: car hire or taxi ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
The sun sets at approximately 8pmish at the beginning of September so I would imagine it would be getting dark before you set off
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline 23alanb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
thanks,
will have to give it some thought about whether i want to drive in the dark, dont mind if i know where im going but from previous experience greek roads are pretty unlit especially when off the main routes.Will wait and see if anyone who has driven the route gives me feedback.

Offline middy

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:38:05 AM »
thanks,
will have to give it some thought about whether i want to drive in the dark, dont mind if i know where im going but from previous experience greek roads are pretty unlit especially when off the main routes.Will wait and see if anyone who has driven the route gives me feedback.
Hi Alan.  I had the same reservations as you as our flight didn't land till 10.30pm this year. I've driven from the airport a couple of times previously but the drive through Corfu town when you've only just picked up the car is quite stressful. Last year, even though I thought I knew the route quite well, things look quite different at night and we ended up getting lost in the olive groves, somewhere up in the hills.
             A good solution might be to do what we did this year. We booked a taxi from the airport for 55 euros, arriving in resort only just over a hour after landing and hired a car from "Corfucarrentals"  for the last four days of the holiday. The car hire was 136 euros and we dropped the car off at the airport. This arrangement worked out really well for us, hope it gives you something to think about.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
I have driven the route many times, but I remember when I first did it and it is easy to get lost if you don't know your way around.
Signs can be a little confusing.
I can drive without a map these days, but in the dark it is confusing on unlit roads.
I did post directions for driving in a post a long time back, if you can find it - it will help.
The trick in Corfu is to get a Map - plan the route and follow the route by driving Village to Village - a good navigator is helpful...

I must say I do like middy's suggestion..... give it some thought....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:07:21 AM »
I will be visiting Corfu for the first time and will be hiring a car from the airport on arrival. We will be traveling to San Stefanos and was wondering if you could recommend a route and a good road map.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trick in Corfu is to plan routes via villages.
There is two, even three alternative routes the taxis/Coaches take you these days.
1) My favourite  via Arrilas. Quickest and reasonable journey.
2) Via Sidari and avliotes - slightly longer but better sign posted, some narrow villages and bendy narrow mountain roads.
3) follow main road following signs for initially, Roda and Sidari, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari Avliotes.
I'll stick with these.
Leave the Airport, at "T" junction turn Right, (you should have a map from the hire Co.) you need to take a left turn and go ahead -
Too complicated to give exact directions, find your way out of town looking for Gouvia.
So - follow signs for Gouvia , then Limni.
you are heading for the road (that passes the road towards the Harbour - on your right)
It's a dual Carriageway (not many of those on Corfu) -
and also on your right you will note you are running along the coastline for a while.

After Limni, look for Gazatika (and general signs for Sidari & Palaiokastritsa) - you will turn right at a big "T"-junction).
At this "T"-junction (it should be signposted Sidari & Roda), turn right - then after 30 metres, the road goes sharp left & you will be driving up a "mini-mountain" one of the higher points of Corfu, and by-passing Skripero (on your left), through Troumpettas village (top).

As you descend the other side, after the double bends, (just before Kastellani village), there is another "T"-Junction sharply to the right, {this is the way the Coaches Go} (option 3)
Now decide your route!!
Option 1). You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight through Kastellani village, and turn right at the next "T"-Junction.
(Sign-posted Agros & Sidari).
At Agros village, Turn very sharply to the left (not towards Sidari), and follow the road, (follow signs for Arillas ), via Aspiotades, Manatades, Dafni, Termenades, Armenades, Kavadades, (by-pass)-Magoulades (on right) -  drive into Arillas -
at "T" junction (Cash Machine - before sea front) turn right - Follow Road up hill, turn left, (before BP Garage),
Follow main Road, Turning right at next "T"-Junction, follow road - welcome to San Stefanos!

Option 2). Again, You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight into Kastellani bear right and simply follow signs for Sidari, then as below from Sidari.
a harder route roads not so good.

(option 3) - Starting back to descending the mountain, Turn sharp right, at the "T"-Junction, (just before Kastellani village),
{this is the way the Coaches Go}
it's much longer, distance & time, but better roads. It goes via the road to Roda initially, then Sidari, follow signs for Acharavi, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari, Avliotes then into San Stefanos.

Sidari is partially one way system now - follow road through Sidari - as you leave Sidari 1/2 Kilometre, turn Left then immediately turn right after 30 metres. (straight on is sign-posted Peroulades). Follow signs for Avliotes, watch out for sharp bends, slowly through village, then follow main road to left for San Stefanos. 10 mins drive now.
This is probably your easiest route, road wise, but a much longer drive.

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline 23alanb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Thanks everyone,
                        it is good to be able to get some first hand knowledge and advice from other travellers who have already been there. Tony your detailed directions will be a great help,thank you.Middy i think you have the most sensible solution which will avoid being stressed out on arrival and allow me to chill out a bit before venturing out and about.Once again thank you everyone and i am sure i will have some more questions before i go
alan     

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni