Author Topic: Just a little Care  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Kernock

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Just a little Care
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
Of course nowhere is completely safe but in our 26 years here we have always regarded Ag Stef as a place children can be let out at a far earlier age than we now consider in the UK and there is little crime.  That is still the case and long may it continue.  This week, however, we have had a little incident that has made us wonder if we have been a bit too trusting and complacent in this lovely area.

We have always been careful with real valuables, like passports and put them in a safe.  Of course there are items that have value that we leave in the apartment, like iPads, some favourite pieces of Perdita Glass Art and a little cash.

After a late lunch this week we went back for a pre shower ziz and a read, leaving the key on the outside of our ground floor apartment in case one of the grandchildren wanted to come in.  I was sleeping off a few Retsinas and my wife reading.  She heard a slight rattling of the door and thought nothing of it but a few moments later saw a young lad whip into the lounge area.  A quick shout made him get out and get away on his moped, not before taking about €35 cash I had taken out of the beachwear trousers.  It could have been a lot worse if there had been a little more time allowed and we are thankful that it wasn’t.

This is not meant to scare anyone that we are going to be murdered in our beds.  Ag Stef remains a safe place but it has made us think that we ought to be a bit more careful than we have been used to.  It was just an opportunist petty crime but it is still not great to think a stranger has been poking around.  I understand that something similar happened in Arillas this week but don’t know if it is related.

Another great day here with calm seas and cloudless skies.  Can’t think what we are going to do with the day!  For anyone yet to get to AG, enjoy your holidays.                               

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little Care
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
I think we all can get a bit complacent at times so we can all take this as a bit of a warning but without getting scared.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
Where about are u staying.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:47:31 PM by Jaxbubbles »

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »
Pity you didn't catch the little so and so and give him what he will obviously get eventually,as the locals will certainly not put up with such antics.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Of course nowhere is completely safe but in our 26 years here we have always regarded Ag Stef as a place children can be let out at a far earlier age than we now consider in the UK and there is little crime.  That is still the case and long may it continue.  This week, however, we have had a little incident that has made us wonder if we have been a bit too trusting and complacent in this lovely area.

We have always been careful with real valuables, like passports and put them in a safe.  Of course there are items that have value that we leave in the apartment, like iPads, some favourite pieces of Perdita Glass Art and a little cash.

After a late lunch this week we went back for a pre shower ziz and a read, leaving the key on the outside of our ground floor apartment in case one of the grandchildren wanted to come in.  I was sleeping off a few Retsinas and my wife reading.  She heard a slight rattling of the door and thought nothing of it but a few moments later saw a young lad whip into the lounge area.  A quick shout made him get out and get away on his moped, not before taking about €35 cash I had taken out of the beachwear trousers.  It could have been a lot worse if there had been a little more time allowed and we are thankful that it wasn’t.

This is not meant to scare anyone that we are going to be murdered in our beds.  Ag Stef remains a safe place but it has made us think that we ought to be a bit more careful than we have been used to.  It was just an opportunist petty crime but it is still not great to think a stranger has been poking around.  I understand that something similar happened in Arillas this week but don’t know if it is related.

Another great day here with calm seas and cloudless skies.  Can’t think what we are going to do with the day!  For anyone yet to get to AG, enjoy your holidays.                               

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience,must have given both of you quite a shock but you are not the only ones who have been
 robbed recently.I have heard from someone on holiday there just now that two of the Thomson reps had 900 euros taken from their room last week Sad isn't it? They probably weren't local you can go a long way on a scooter but I guess we will all have to be a bit more careful.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »
Please don't tell me that it was Kim from Thomson?
A lovely girl and if so....McKenzie sends a kiss!

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »
No it was Nicola we were there when she got the call to say she had been broken into  :'(

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »

As you say Dupnica I doubt if locals were involved  at least I hope not . Never had any problem with security or safety in 12 years of visiting.
Adventure before dementia

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
Likewise never had a problem - but never take too big a risk - use a safe
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Kernock

We were there and we heard about your break in!  We were so sad to hear about any crime here and know that you are such a regular.  Fingers crossed it was just opportunists and thank goodness no one was hurt but must have been scary.

I have to say that I think your grandchildren are fabulous!  I hardly recognised them from last year - they had grown so much.  We were talking to them one day and they mentioned that the younger two? had birthdays both in June.  I stopped and said to them - 'Oh it's my birthday today and I had forgotten, thanks for reminding me' (July 27th) and hubby John was there and said 'yes it's mine too the same day and I had forgotten too'.  If you could have seen your grandson's face!  He could NOT believe we could forget!  It was nearly lunchtime by this time. We had arrived the previous night and the manic of the wedding arrangements had just begun.............everything else disappeared......  The joy and wonderfulness that is unique to children. 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni