Author Topic: Flight or package?  (Read 37416 times)

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Flight or package?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
Lofty; Are you thinking of returning to SS next year  :) 

Yes we are JaxB, but the boy just come home on Thursday with a High School football trip details for an Easter training camp at Feyenoord in Holland, which fell into the "surprise/holy sh!t" category. So once we've got that organised then , like you, we will look at flight prices from Prestwick which seem the cheapest. Are you aware when Ruinair announce the schedule from Edinburgh?

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
Yes we are JaxB, but the boy just come home on Thursday with a High School football trip details for an Easter training camp at Feyenoord in Holland, which fell into the "surprise/holy sh!t" category. So once we've got that organised then , like you, we will look at flight prices from Prestwick which seem the cheapest. Are you aware when Ruinair announce the schedule from Edinburgh?

I just looked back my records and we booked the flights from Edinburgh at the beginning of December 2012. However as you know 2013 was the first Corfu flights Ryanair done out of Edinburgh, hopefully they will be on sale earlier:)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 05:32:41 AM »
We are like most others - we work out the best deal - we always prefer to book direct with locals in the first instance - but some times it simply had to be Thomsons.
If no one booked with Thomson it would also harm the local economy. Although Thomson tend to almost rob them - we still spend in the bars etc.
The thought is always there anyway, but everyone (unless filthy rich) has a budget, and we can spend more (as said) if we get a good deal.

At home - not much choice for fuel - usually Tesco as cheapest - or my local BP..

Ideals count for little if you can't live within your means - - so best price wins I'm afraid.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
It very much depends on the cost of the flight element with Thomsons, as the total costs with the package varies wildly. I have posted recently that the cost of our 2014 booking was £600 cheaper for four of us than it had been just 3/4 weeks earlier.
Prior to the Thomson reduction I was pricing flights from the midlands and booking direct with Romanza. The cheapest flights were Monarch from Birmingham for end of July, the price of rooms and flights was £2915 as flights were still expensive, plus getting a transfer sorted.
We booked via Thomson for £2371. Its a no brainer!
Ref the Thomson domination of the resort, they want to fill the rooms they are paying the owner for. This must be of benefit to the hotels ref food and drink and the other businesses in the village. Otherwise they may have lots of empty rooms out of peak times and fewer people spending money.
Thomsons latest tactic though is reducing the length of the season, this year they are only taking guests at the Romanza until early October. They have shaved 3 to 4 weeks off the season, giving the businesses less time to make the money needed to cover the winter months.

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
My Monarch flight to Corfu this June was £264 and that included standard flight, hold bags up to 23Kg, pre-booked seats and online check-in.  I have looked at the same flight for 2014 and the price is the same :)

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
Just been speaking to a friend who found she and her husband had the chance of a weeks holiday in Corfu this September in an apartment, okay not in San Stef but nearby. However she said flights were horrendous in price and they didn't think they could make it. Then her husband found a Thompson flight with  studio accommodation for age group 20+ in Kavos for just over £160. This included baggage so they have booked it and will tell the rep when they arrive that at age 60+ they wont be using the transfers or accommodation but have booked the apartment they wanted in the area they wanted. She said transfers won't be a problem to arrange and they now have a reasonable priced flight

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
Just been speaking to a friend who found she and her husband had the chance of a weeks holiday in Corfu this September in an apartment, okay not in San Stef but nearby. However she said flights were horrendous in price and they didn't think they could make it. Then her husband found a Thompson flight with  studio accommodation for age group 20+ in Kavos for just over £160. This included baggage so they have booked it and will tell the rep when they arrive that at age 60+ they wont be using the transfers or accommodation but have booked the apartment they wanted in the area they wanted. She said transfers won't be a problem to arrange and they now have a reasonable priced flight

Clever - i like their style.

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
That was a cunning plan. ;D

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni