Author Topic: My holiday review  (Read 8046 times)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
My holiday review
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
Hubby and I were in San Steph 16 -26th July. Another fab, relaxing holiday. Stayed at Margaritas Suites again which are wonderful. As soon as we arrived we received the usual friendly (and genuine) welcome from people we had and hadn't met before. Sunbathed outside Mango - lovely comfy beds and really lovely staff. Most days the sea was a bit choppy but the last couple of days it was lovely and calm.
Pre dinner pints of Mythos in Summer Dream, Princess but mostly Acabar. We also went up to Akrotiri a couple of evenings before dinner. Looks like they have added some more decking since last year. Fantastic chilled out bar with glorious views. We decided its the best bar we have ever been for views and chilled atmosphere.
Had some great meals in Fantasea, Olympia,Beachcomber and Yiannis (up past Tasty Corner, not the one opposite Athens bar) and Nafsika. Zorbas (our favourite last year) and Two Stars were just ok - that's just our opinion.
After dinner drinks in Athens where there was some v good entertainment especially the 7 piece band, El Grecos or if we wanted a quiet one, Princess.
Won the quiz in Nafsika! Met friends we had made last year which was really nice.
Disappointed that we didn't get up to the Romanza and that the boat trip to Paleo left at 8.45 (too early when on holiday!!)
In all, another fab holiday and we will definitely be returning

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: My holiday review
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:41:36 PM »
Thanks for your review Teamnickos. Lovely to hear other peoples opinions about the bars and tavernas.  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:57:41 AM »
Nice one Teamnickos - - we are staying in Margaritas Suites this year - - Crystal Daisy suite - - which one were you in and what did you think??

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
We stayed in the Crystal Daisy suite a couple of years ago it is beautiful so nicely decorated, lovely bathroom and so well equipped Noula has thought of everything was great to sit on the Patio a couple of nights with a pizza and wine and watch the sunset. :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
July 15 to 29 2013

Travel:

We flew from Leeds/Bradford on Jet2. The flight times are not brilliant - didn't get to Ag Stef until 11:30 pm. Coming back, bad weather in the UK delayed a lot of flights - ours 40 minutes, one EasyJet Manchester flight due to leave at 10 pm was rescheduled for 3 am the next morning! However, LBA staff were friendly and efficient. Through check-in and security very quickly, and flight crew very pleasant.

But coming back, landing at just after 1 am, getting through immigration and baggage meant facing at 1.5 hour drive at what was effectively 3:45 am body-clock time was not something I'd choose to do again.

Accommodation:

We stayed at Anatoli, owned and run by Michalis at Kamini Bar. Our taxi was very efficiently ordered by Michalis, and airport to village was about 55 minutes.

The rooms at Anatoli are fairly small, with basic furniture and a "wet-room" approach in the bathroom. But the views from the balcony are superb, facing north east toward Erekusa.

Michalis and his English/Greek bilingual sons Petros and Vassilis were always friendly and helpful. We would certainly recommend Anatoli to those who appreciate the peace of the old village.

The distance down an easily-managed incline to Kamini and Nafsika is about 25 yards, and the distance from there to the beach beside Mistral and Manthos about another 25. If we were feeling energetic, we made it to the beach. If less so, to the Nafsika pool, which is a favourite of ours.

This was the laziest holiday we've ever had. We did nothing, went nowhere, didn't even make it up to Akrotiri on the grounds of it being pretty hot and sweaty weather.

Eating:

As always, great food and atmosphere at Zorbas, Little Prince, Beachcomber and Nafsika. Theodora's mousaka was on top form!

We had a pleasant meal at Olympia. The big surprise was the evening when we went to the Chinese - I'd been ill in the night and wanted something a little lighter. The food was outstanding - tasty and beautifully cooked, with very good service. Met Jaxbubbles and Hubby there, chomping their way through a mountain of spare-ribs - and that was just for starters!

Lunched at Mistral and Nafsika mostly. Always good. Mistral's chips are excellent hand-made events, like Beachcomber - not the frozen variety served in most places.

Very nice souvlaki at Elias in Avliotes.

Social:

Met lots of old friends and some new ones - too many to name here. The usual accidental bumping-into in streets and bars, and of course, plenty of late-evening chatter in the Nafsika bar.

Friendship and good company is a vital ingredient of the Agios Stephanos magic potion.

Second week, lots of kids about - making the atmosphere slightly less like a retirement home.

Other stuff:

Went for a spot of beautification in Patricia's very posh salon next to Beachcomber. She's doing well, she says, and deservedly so. Go and get your highlights done - mine are tasteful white with hints of - err - white!

The ceramics in Hippopots next to the ice cream parlour (ooh - that ice cream is very yummy) are beautiful. We just had to buy some for presents. Very reasonably priced, and many items small enough to pack easily. They have vast rolls of bubble-pack. Brought back pretty lizards, and a lazy-looking frog for my grandson!

Weather:

Unusual for July. Very misty, with quite thick early-morning fog. Albania was hardly ever visible, and then just a hint of water-colour brushed across the horizon.

Zero rain - in fact almost zero cloud.

Mozzies:

Never saw one. Never got bitten by one. Gillie got one insignificant bite.

Jellyfish:

Zero.

Seaweed:

Constantly drifting in on the tide. But it's nice, fine seaweed, like coarsely-chopped herbs for Dionysus's lunch. It's not UK tangle-your-feet tough old stuff full of crabs. Dunno why people moan about it.

Best view:

Sitting at Olympia at 10 pm seeing Cerys dressed in an outstandingly pretty frock with a little bag on her shoulder walking up to see the Kylie tribute. Beauty incarnate, that's our Cerys.

Conclusions:

As always, relaxing, stress-reducing, life-enhancing lazy enjoyment. Need some more. Soon. But next time, we'll take the Thomson from Doncaster option and avoid Kerkira Airport in the small hours - which is not the way it should end!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:18:16 PM by Jimbo »

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Thanks for that Jim glad you and the lovely Gillie had a good time sounds like we made a good choice with the Anatoli you know we love the quietness of the old village

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »
As always lovely to see you both and sorry I only got to wave you off whilst in the taxi but collected my Brandy's much needed cat collars.......hope to see you both again very soon.......Lesley & Aris xxxxx

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
Good review Jimbo.....

We found LBA very quick outbound..... took 20 minutes from parking the car at the off site parking to actually getting through security and into Duty Free (this also included the check in girl having to check us in manually as her computer wasnt working!!)

Bit different coming back....... awful bouncy landing, plane then seemed to take about half an hour to get parked up! Luggage took about 20/25 mins to come through and ours was one of the first off!!

We got back in the house in Wakefield at 2.10am

Gotta do it all again next year...........

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »
Sorry Tony C , couldn't log on last night. We were in the Grand Suite as a special treat for big birthdays and our 25th wedding anniversary. It was superb. Stayed in the Sunflower last year. Both have excellent views, really well maintained and really clean (thanks to the lovely Wendy). We had clean towels every day this year! And of course Noula and the girls are really friendly and very helpful. Bonus is the mozzie nets on the doors and windows!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:12:35 AM »
Well thanks everyone for the comments on Margaritas Suites through to Jims blog - lovely & interesting as usual - - see you there again one of these days...
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni