Author Topic: Tornado In San Stef  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Tornado In San Stef
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Just found this on You Tube which was only put on in September 2012 so not sure if anyone has seen it.

It shows a tornado rushing in  over the hill from Arillas and sweeping through the main street, gets really interesting about 2.5mins in.

Some great footage of old San Stef (September 1993) as well so its worth a look.

Dimitri at the Little Prince told us about this event a few years ago, great that someone did such a good job recording it.

Luckily only one person was slightly injured which is amazing given the amount of debris flying around.

I watched a Tornado out to sea from San Stef in late September 2008 which is of course thunderstorm season when these events can occur.

Andy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:57:01 PM by dimitris »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Tornado In San Stef
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »
We have seen them out to sea before as well and couldn't believe what we were seeing
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
Slightly unedited video, but you do get a real sense of the chaos.

My favourite line is "Don't shut me out, you daft cow!"

Offline sunnygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
 We experienced 2 tornadoes the first being the one on youtube. we were eating in the Little Prince at the time. The second came at night over the hill and down the road next to our house at the tennis court. It just missed our house but took the roof right of the new extension to the Paradise ( bless them they had just finished the work). It sounded like a train passing through the underground . Really scarey. Thankfully  it was after the season- no telling what would have happen if people were about.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »
yep - I was there for the storm in Sept 2008 and the Teresa had quite a lot of damage occur.

It was pretty frightening at one point and the storm and rain raged for about 24 hours in the end and we spent several hours once evening watching Night at the Museum in the Teresa bar with other guests.

Let's hope we don't get any kind of reoccurence this August!! :)

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
Slightly unedited video, but you do get a real sense of the chaos.

My favourite line is "Don't shut me out, you daft cow!"

Yes, that made me laugh, also did you note the state of the camera mans apartment, it looked like the Tornado had been through there as well!

Felt sorry for the cleaner.

Andy

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:53:05 AM »
We have experienced more than a few storms there, the worst lasted nearly 3 days, knocked out the electricity, and stripped the washing off the balcony along with a chair.
We saw Sidari flooded and some fantastic lightening shows - - but the only twister we actually saw was the Doughnut man on the beach - - - -
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni