Author Topic: Since last Sept...  (Read 17729 times)

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Since last Sept...
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
Hi, first post for me. I'm sitting on my balcony looking out over the amazing San stefanos bay.  This is our 2nd visit and I wanted to post about the changes in the short 9 month gap in between our holidays.

The biggest of course is the shrinking beach. We were told there were big storms in Feb that shrank the beach to half its width overnight. Anyone got more info on that?

Also, I wanted to point out to visitors to be a bit careful when you walk beyond the Havana bar. I took a walk with my nearly 4 year old yesterday and noticed a fair amount of broken glass on the beach. Fortunately on the main beach the only thing to be wary of was the jellyfish washed up after the high winds on Tues and Wed.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Since last Sept...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the info woodman

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Welcome to the Forums Woodman. Where in SS are you staying?
Thanks for that info. There was a few photo's posted on Facebook with the disappearing beach. Can't remember who posted them though. Never seen the beach so small. Hope it does recover to it's former glory :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:30:24 PM by Jules »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
The beach is indeed around half the width, they had a very stormy winter and this has also silted the harbour again meaning the Nearchos is having to run the San Stef boat trips from Sidari, the vessel itself being berthed at Kassiopi. This has unfortunately meant that the Mathraki and Othoni trip is not running, the very one we wanted to do this year!
They were supposed to come and clear the harbour in April, this colud be the marine equivalent of the bypass saga!

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
Great info all, interesting about boat trips, we're hoping to take one while we're here. Are they all going from Sidari?

Jules - we're on our honeymoon in Delfino Blu! Very spoilt! Kostas explained the storms and how he's tried to protect Mango from the storms.  Hasn't put us off at all though!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
 I believe the reason that the beach has become narrower has been caused by "Long shore drift". This would explain the small lagoon
 and sandbar we could see on the webcam a few weeks ago and the fact that the river appeared to have changed it's course.
 No wonder the JCB was so busy trying to sort it all out.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:42:28 AM »
I believe the reason that the beach has become narrower has been caused by "Long shore drift". This would explain the small lagoon
 and sandbar we could see on the webcam a few weeks ago and the fact that the river appeared to have changed it's course.
 No wonder the JCB was so busy trying to sort it all out.

Sounding a bit like Jimbo!!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »
Sacrilege! It is hubris to claim godhood.

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Hi, first post for me. I'm sitting on my balcony looking out over the amazing San stefanos bay.  This is our 2nd visit and I wanted to post about the changes in the short 9 month gap in between our holidays.

The biggest of course is the shrinking beach. We were told there were big storms in Feb that shrank the beach to half its width overnight. Anyone got more info on that?

Also, I wanted to point out to visitors to be a bit careful when you walk beyond the Havana bar. I took a walk with my nearly 4 year old yesterday and noticed a fair amount of broken glass on the beach. Fortunately on the main beach the only thing to be wary of was the jellyfish washed up after the high winds on Tues and Wed.

Yes, beyond the Havana Bar the beach is littered with rubbish inc. broken glass so beware, it's not local or holidaymakers that drop this stuff most of it is washed a shore having been thrown overboard by idiot boat and yacht owners. I found several empty outboard motor oil containers which is a bit of a give away as to where it came from!

If any boat owner is caught throwing rubbish into the sea I think the authorities should torch his boat while the owner watches.

Andy

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
We found more glass on the beach generally when we got there early May but the constant clearing by the digger and the restaurants raking the sand made a huge difference. We still kept finding finding the odd bit and had to watch when barefoot but it had all but gone when we came home. did'nt walk past mango myself but husband did and he said lots more  glass further along.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 02:53:22 AM »
I hope the situation improves or many may not return - - which would be tragic
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »
A few days of hot sunny and windless days have seen some improvement to the beach width. I guess a hot July and August will continue this improvement.

As before, San Stefanos was everything we wanted it to be, it's sad to be going home, but we're already making plans for a return at the end of May 2014, and if our numbers come up, maybe sooner.

Hope all you regulars have a lovely summer.

Yammas!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks for that Woodman :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
The beach will grow back quickly now the storms have stopped, some people said the beach may not come back which is rubbish as San Steph beach will have been around since the last Ice Age and grown and shrunk repeatedly depending on the severity of the winter storms.

Calm winters in Corfu between 1998 - 2007 led to a huge beach by 2008 but the winters since have been much stormier.

Andy

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:52 PM »
How does this work? Either the sea is higher, or the beach is lower? Do the storms wash the beach away?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni