Author Topic: First Time In San Stefanos  (Read 19626 times)

Offline mythos2

• View Profile
First Time In San Stefanos
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »
Hi to all.  We arrive in San Stefanos on June 21st but we're Corfu regulars and stayed in Arilas twice, superb place.  Having endured and still enduring another wet English summer we hope for the sun to shine and the mythos to be ice cold.  We'll be stopping at the Barrass apartments through Thompsons so any info about all things San Stefanos welcome.  We're sad creatures of habit, we love the beach all day, the sea and the bars.  Just a few questions though does anywhere do sunbeds at a special rate if you dine in their bar/taverna etc?  Is the brewery still functioning because we loved that local Corfu beer as well, all types, bit pricey but we have to support the local economy.  Finally, we both love Greek fish restaurants so any comments welcome.  Regards, Mythos2

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: First Time In San Stefanos
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
Hi Mythos2

We to like the beach and the bars.  Sunbeds are cheap, the Mango beach bar ones (belong to Delfino Blu) are especially good and come with an ice bucket and a free bottle of water and the waiter there all the time, in case you want stuff from mango bar.  Costas beds were outside Waves last year and there's Mistral and Manthos bars close by this part of the beach too.  Manthos especially good for fish and also I have had amazing fish (sea bream/bass etc) at Nafsika (all their food fab).  The brewery still going strong last year and lots bars sell it.

I hope you like it as much as Arillas, we always go over there to the Ammos bar for their lovely coffee and to wile away a couple of hours watching the sea and the folk.  Can you recommend somewhere for us to eat there?  we love traditional Greek.

Offline mythos2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Thanks Debra the ice bucket sounds good!  We used to dine at three sea front restaurants in Arilas, The Marina, The Horizon and the one next door to the Horizon run by a guy called Spiros - that place tends to be typical Greek manic.  He rushes all over the place and you wonder what's going on, but he serves you, you eat and you're satisfied.  He often gave us a metaxa [5 star] at the end of the meal.  The other two places seemed more professional but what the heck.

Offline Vincemac

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks Debra the ice bucket sounds good!  We used to dine at three sea front restaurants in Arilas, The Marina, The Horizon and the one next door to the Horizon run by a guy called Spiros - that place tends to be typical Greek manic.  He rushes all over the place and you wonder what's going on, but he serves you, you eat and you're satisfied.  He often gave us a metaxa [5 star] at the end of the meal.  The other two places seemed more professional but what the heck.

yes we stayed at aril las 2010 our favourite was horizon but you can't go wrong most are very good on other costs on the beach we are in San steff in june

Offline rae21

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
Would recommend Athina Hotel for sunbeds round the pool or on the beach they charged ten euros for two beds last year but you get a receipt which you can use to buy lunch, drinks etc ps best pool in the village

Offline mythos2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
I'm sure we will 'cope'.  Can't wait to get there.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
Sunbed pitches on the Beach are determined by the local council auction..
Only in the early May will you find free beds put out by Restaurants if you eat there.

Expect to pay 7-8€ for 2 beds plus umbrella.... They did vary a bit last year between vendors.

You will be welcome at any pool (except Delphino) as long as you buy your drinks, water, food there.
If you go for a free, pool, beds, toilets..... And then get your picnic and drinks out... Expect fireworks...lol...
I saw a few disrespectful people get thrown out of pools for this.... Just not on!
The beach lying on your towel is the freebie way to do it..... Not in pools...

Otherwise the locals are the most friendly tolerant people I have ever met...

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Vincemac

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
Sunbed pitches on the Beach are determined by the local council auction..
Only in the early May will you find free beds put out by Restaurants if you eat there.

Expect to pay 7-8€ for 2 beds plus umbrella.... They did vary a bit last year between vendors.

You will be welcome at any pool (except Delphino) as long as you buy your drinks, water, food there.
If you go for a free, pool, beds, toilets..... And then get your picnic and drinks out... Expect fireworks...lol...
I saw a few disrespectful people get thrown out of pools for this.... Just not on!
The beach lying on your towel is the freebie way to do it..... Not in pools...

Otherwise the locals are the most friendly tolerant people I have ever met...

I agree 100% show respect if you use the pool at least buy a few drinks if you have already eaten the management will respect you as we'll

Gavlah1973

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
It's been done on here before but I don't even agree with being able to use pools where you aren't staying.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
Ahhh, but imagine you own the bar at the pool? Pool is an asset, make use of it?

Offline Vincemac

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
It's been done on here before but I don't even agree with being able to use pools where you aren't staying.
explained what you mean

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »
Right...... I book a hotel that costs 1000 for a week. Chances are its better than one that costs 500 for the same week.
The rooms are probably better and so is the pool, sunbeds and general facilities. 
I just dont think it's right that someone from the other hotel could come along and take the sunbeds etc when they've paid half as much.
Don't particularly have issue with it as long as there's still plenty of beds spare amd they behave respectfully. 
We had this issue in Kef last year. There was a wedding taking place at the hotel. About 4 of the party were actually staying in our hotel. The rest of the party (numbering about 16) used to invade every day. It was chaos. Hotel let them as they bought lunch.
Unsurprisingly they never all decamped to the other hotels...... because they were nowhere near as nice (or as expensive) to stay at!!

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »
Mmmmmm, I'm with Gavlah on this.
Would be most unhappy if the hotel I had paid to stay at did not have sun beds available for us because non-residents were utilising them.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
I can understand Gavlah too. Don't really use pools in ag Stef I just love the beach and the sea too much. Maybe the athina has got it right making a charge to non residents??

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
There were a couple of places in Kefalonia that were just a pool and a bar. No hotel.
Also see this in Spain.
Basically free if you purchase drinks etc.
Did my head in last year. That two weeks cost us £1600 b&b

The same two weeks in one of the hotels that this large weddding party were staying in cost circa 1100 for the same week

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni