Author Topic: Corfu Town  (Read 22959 times)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Corfu Town
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Hello everyone.  Now the wife and I love visiting Corfu Town both by day and night as we love the place.  However, we struggle to find a decent pub and restaurant and invariably end up walking in circles and getting lost. 

Do any forum members know of any "hidden" places we could pay a visit to?  We are not too bothered about cost as long as it's not OTT.  Thanks in advance.

YANNIS26

Re: Corfu Town
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
Hi Rod
I have no first hand knowledge of eateries in Corfu Town but a look at Trip Advisor may help.
Try calling up Corfu Town on Trip Advisor.They give a list of the top rated eating places.I find trip advisors advice very good. If you ignore the top & bottom 10% of reviews you get a pretty true picture.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
As always, ask the locals. They've all got cousins with tavernas!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
We always eat here when in Corfu Town

The Mouragia Taverna, Arseniou 15,
It's rated 3 out of 53 restaurants in Corfu Town. Turn left out of the coach park and continue for 300 – 400 yards with sea on your left, it is then on the right on the same road.

Lots of the local Greeks eat here and it is very popular

It serves typically Greek food and overlooks the sea with Albania in the background, also between Corfu Town and Albania is the island of Vido (also known as Ptichia)

Here's a link:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g662629-d1821496-i43813683-Mouragia-Corfu_Town_Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
Thanks Waspman.  We will give it a go.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
Yiannis/Jimbo, thanks for the advice.  I just thought more of our regulars would have had a secret hideaway that they had stumbled upon.  Anyway, it's quite enjoyable getting lost as it's all part of the fun.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
 We always eat in a restaurant called Bellissimo,in fact it's a perfect place to have a meal especially in the evening.
 It is set in a pretty square called The Lemon Tree Square just off the N Theotoki,which is the main road you would take
 after Noula's coach drops you off.
 If you walk up that road it is on the left hand side down a little alley which then opens up into the square.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Thanks Waspman.  We will give it a go.

We'll see you at The Romanza in June, will speak again.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
Dupnica,

I have just been on Trip Advisor and I must say the Bellissimo caught my eye.  However, it will probably take us two hours to find the place even with a map.  I'm normally ok at map reading but I always end up lost in Corfu Town.  One day the wife and I decided to have a rest from our circle walking and I simply walked into a barber shop and had my head shaved (yes nearly all gone now).  I tried my best Greek to explain what I required and the barber simply replied in the affirmative with a Welsh accent.  Quite bizzarr!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
  Rod,
 I'm going to attempt to give clear directions to Bellissimo,so bear with me.
 If you go from the direction of the Old Port,which is where the main car park is,or if you go on the coach with San Stef Travel
 cross the road taking extreme care to avoid speeding taxis and scooters,go past The Black Cat restaurant(a well known landmark)
 and that will take you to the main shopping street the Nikiforou Theotoki,where all the Tshirt and touristy shops are.
 A few hundred yards along on the left hand side you will come to the alleyway which leads to Bellissimo.At the entry to the alley there is pharmacy sign(green cross on a white background) also another sign on the wall advertising a solicitors office.
 I hope you find it,it feels like a peaceful little oasis in the hubbub of Corfu Town,a pretty little square and the food's not bad either .

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
Dupnica,

Great directions.  I actually remember the Black Cat restaurant so I should have no problem finding the place.  I am in Corfu in three weeks time so will give everyone a review on the Bellissimo.  Thanks!

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Sounds good to me.  We will have to try Bellissimo when we are also there in three weeks.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »
 If you go for an evening meal best not to leave it too late as it can get busy and you can't pre-book tables.
 I'll be there in three weeks time as well maybe we'll all meet up at Bellissimo!!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
If you go for an evening meal best not to leave it too late as it can get busy and you can't pre-book tables.
 I'll be there in three weeks time as well maybe we'll all meet up at Bellissimo!!

Now that would be something!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
We have found two or three really good Restaurants in Corfu Town, hidden away in little squares or up alleyways ..... I am. Sorry, however, as I can't remember the names or am able to give directions as we just meander around and find somewhere crammed with locals.
I could walk you there though, but to write it down.... No!!

The best one was tiny and not at all sophisticated... But we had the best Greek food ever there......

I'll go back this year to get the name.....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni