Author Topic: Laptops, iPads, Tablets, Kindles and phones......  (Read 18820 times)

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
Laptops, iPads, Tablets, Kindles and phones......
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
....am I the only person who will have none of these at my disposal whilst on holiday? :)

I guess I will miss my daily fix of the internet.....

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops, iPads, Tablets, Kindles and phones......
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »
Bee if you need to be on line there at least 2 internet cafes I know of where you pay as you go, El Greco and 3W's.........

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:20:22 AM »
Thanks Lesley, I thought there was available internet access in SS.  I spend so much time on my laptop at home, I really should take a break from it while I'm on holiday.  I must admit, I would love a tablet as they are so light and portable.  Finances don't allow unfortunately :)

Offline DavidFid

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
I'm very impressed with the Kindle Fire, we have a basic WIFI one. Apart from reading books and playing music it can when in a WIFI zone - access the internet, check your email. All for £129.

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083Q04M2/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=20518645808&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=791888&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3171435591989447107&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_dddc7xsv7_b

Offline Jacksi

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
Our daughter bought her dad one for Christmas (a kindle fire) cos she didn't know what else to get him and she needed to get him a "decent" presdnt to match the one she was getting me and then worried as he isn't technically minded at all (she taking me to NYC for my pressie!). Turns out He loves it, is always on it either downloading music, playing games and on the Internet (hasn't worked out how to download a book yet though which was the reason she got him it cos he loves reading). Been well worth the money and nowhere as near as expensive as an iPad etc!!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
I've found I can't read my kindle fire in the sun (due to glare) unlike the original kindle.
Bee - it will be good to have a break - you'll have lots to look up and catch up on when you get home

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
All tablets are rubbish in sunshine. Get a proper Kindle if you want to read in the sun. The technology is totally different.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
I've got one  :)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »
Lots of good e book readers about, from Nook, Kobo Sony etc. these will usually also let you borrow books from your local library. My wife has a Kobo Arc, which is a colour reader, can be used in direct sunlight, and performs very well as a tablet, being a wireless device. It can also read books from Amazon (Kindle), as well as ePub format ones as loaned by our local library.

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »
I've found I can't read my kindle fire in the sun (due to glare) unlike the original kindle.
Bee - it will be good to have a break - you'll have lots to look up and catch up on when you get home

You are right Teamnikos, I can catch up when I get home :)  I actually have a Kindle reader but I'm leaving it at home and bringing a couple of books.  Happier to leave them on the beach while I go for lunch :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:05 AM »
Rover - The Arc is just an Android tablet. It doesn't use e-ink like the Kindle or Nook. So its battery life is much shorter and seriously will be rubbish in bright sunlight.

I'll be taking a 17" laptop and a Kindle Paperwhite. They each have their use!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:50:02 AM »
Jimbo, the Arc has been used in sunlight, and is fine. It' battery life is shorter, which need not be an issue, and it is in colour, which is useful in certain applications. Best value at present for a simple, competent reader is the Nook Simple Touch, which has been on offer for< £30.00. This has an excellent display, wit access to a wide range of books.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
There's a new Kobo called Aura HD, which is e-ink with a larger screen.

E-ink is an important issue for me. I spent 12-14 hours a day sitting in front of several monitors. All LCDs have flicker (even posh 120Hz jobs like mine, although they're better) which causes eye-strain. When I go to bed I can read on a Kindle with no eye strain because there is no flicker. Tablets have LCD displays, so they flicker. I have several for program development. People who work in front of monitors need to take that into account.

Weight is also an issue - even 7" tablets are heavier than a Kindle Paperwhite by a significant amount, and that's another strain-reducing factor.

Of course, everyone has their own preferred technology and use. I don't use tablets to browse the web - I prefer the 24" monitor in front of me now! 

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
We just take our mobile phones and the Ipod which we have found more than adequate for what we need .We don't bother with books but take a few magazines with us.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
iPod touch is a great device. Small and portable, Internet access and holds films, music etc.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni