Author Topic: Micro brewery  (Read 12684 times)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Micro brewery
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Is the brewery still going? (Situated on the road from SS to Arillas) I have not tried the beer, so is it worth me giving it a go? My normal beer tipple is Pedigree. 

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Micro brewery
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

Hi Rover
      Like you ,I am a beer drinker, Pedigree is on my favourite list , Adnams Broadside is my No 1 , strangely my tastes seem to change in San Stef.  The local wine and Mythos lager are my favourites , maybe beer is a bit too heavy for the Greek temperatures .  Having said that I would be interested in trying the local beers !
Adventure before dementia

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
The beer from the local brewery is excellent. They brew lighter and heavier ales, all delicious. They're more expensive than Mythos etc, but those proponents of DIY holidays to support the local economy should drink nothing else!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
I too tend to drink 'lager' beers when it is hot, Grolsch, Peroni, Amstell etc. I must give one or two of the local ales a try though.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
Find it a bit difficult to put The Corfu beers into a category we would recognise. They do a straightforward lager, the ales are dark and light and the answer is...... Try them

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »
The beer from the local brewery is excellent. They brew lighter and heavier ales, all delicious. They're more expensive than Mythos etc, but those proponents of DIY holidays to support the local economy should drink nothing else!

Not dearer than Mythos if you buy direct from the brewery, considerably cheaper.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
My husband is a bitter drinker and really enjoys the corfu medium beer - the dark one is a little like stout!  Bit more expensive even in the supermarkets but it is fresh and don't think it has any preservatives and so doesn't last as long - I think only a couple of weeks or so.  I personally love Mythos fron an ice cold glass and preferably at Havana or Mango and enjoy sipping whilst watching the shimmer over the sea - heaven!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
I would strongly recommend that you take the walk to the brewery organised by San Stef Travel. It was only a few Euros last year and included plenty of free beer!

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Yes you should try the beer, and take a brewery tour if you can.
I'm a dedicated ale drinking, CAMRA member, and all micro breweries should be supported where ever they happen to be.
It was like a breath of cooling air over your shoulders on a hot and sticky night on Manthos' terrace when they came onto the drinking scene in Corfu.
As for styles, they're pretty good and do make for a good alternative to Mythos, Amstel, etc. etc. My only wish would be that they should make a really hoppy style IPA, with a strong Citrus flavour, which makes for a great summer ale, which even diehard lager drinkers would be drawn to.
Overall though, when I see The Royal Ionian beers available I'll go for them over the mass produced stuff.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Yes you should try the beer, and take a brewery tour if you can.
I'm a dedicated ale drinking, CAMRA member, and all micro breweries should be supported where ever they happen to be.
It was like a breath of cooling air over your shoulders on a hot and sticky night on Manthos' terrace when they came onto the drinking scene in Corfu.
As for styles, they're pretty good and do make for a good alternative to Mythos, Amstel, etc. etc. My only wish would be that they should make a really hoppy style IPA, with a strong Citrus flavour, which makes for a great summer ale, which even diehard lager drinkers would be drawn to.
Overall though, when I see The Royal Ionian beers available I'll go for them over the mass produced stuff.

Agree entirely Cambridge. I also support any local micro breweries where possible although I must admit that Mythos is one of the few lagers I still love, but only draught, not bottle.

Offline Cerys

• Global Moderator
  • SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Hi all. San Stefano Travel have an organised tour of the microbrewery with a free tasting session as one of their alternative trips. Details of the tour can be found at www.san-stefano.gr

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
Tour round the brewery is well worh doing ,I would recomend the special, though they are all worth a try.
The best place to stop and drink it is the Akatori the views on both sides are stunning and the beer is lovley and cool after your trek. :P :P

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
We walked over the cliffs to the micro brewery last year and went in and had a tour which was free to go into.  There were other people there who also had walked over so in total there were six of us. The beer was lovely especially the ginger beer which was a new one last year.  Other people also did the same you didn't have to book to go in.  It lasted about 30 minutes and I think they are every half an hour but I cant remember which days they do it on.  We did it on a Wednesday.  Afterwards you can stay outside and drink as much beer as you want which is also free.  We only had a couple as we had to walk back over the cliffs again.  We found it very interesting and the beer lovely.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
Well I am on a D I Y Holiday - - staying at Margaritas Apts this time...
Drink nothing else Jim - - I don't think so... any spending supports the local economy.....
I am quite happy to try the brews, but I will be supporting various places and the local economy by buying Mythos - my favourite - - - - each to his or her own - - - 

How are you both keeping anyway.....!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni