Author Topic: Another Year  (Read 17065 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Another Year
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
THIS YEAR can we hope that Corfu Airport may have abandoned their system of scanning your luggage which they introduced a few years ago
For those not familiar with this particular form of Greek torture it works like this.  First you check in at the appropriate desk and have your cases weighed then you drag/carry said cases across the other queues of departing guests,being careful not to crunch any bare toes on the way,
next you hoist your cases onto the scanner which is a good two feet off the floor to have them X rayed. As these machines are usually manned ,or should that be personned,by young ladies don't expect any help(in these days of high unemployment in Greece could there be an opening here for
a couple of strong young men)?  Those of us who are not as fit or as young as we once were have a real problem , I keep expecting someone to collapse with a slipped disc or worse.
I appreciate the need for security and I am grateful that they are so diligent but in other airports aren't the scanners on the main conveyer belt
behind the check in desks?

I agree it's madness and when the airport is busy it causes chaos.

Maybe their isn't enough room to house the scanners at the back? The airport would have been built before the need t have scanners. Whatever the reason it's not a good experience. Really corfu should have extended the airport years ago. Where did all that European money in the last decade go? In Spain they built roads an airports but in Greece the cash never seemed to leave Athens.

Lanzarote is an island smaller about the same size as Corfu but its airport is fantastic, like Gatwick without the crowds, everytime we go we say why couldn't corfu airport be like this!

Andy

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
They did improve the departure lounge a few years ago so there is now more seating available,but I am concerned about  new visitors with a disability or previous illness who have no knowledge of the problems they will encounter when checking in on their departure.They probably do not require, or want, wheelchair assistance but they may need some kind of help.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
Kefalonia....... now there's an airport lol!!!
Last year we checked in then went to the Taverna next door for a couple of light ales before going back in. It's like a shed!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
 I suppose a lot of us can remember,not that long ago,when you got to arrivals and were waiting for the cases to come up on the carousel,
 you could wander outside,have a chat with your taxi driver,have a cigarette if you wanted and then mosey back in and collect the luggage.
Oh happy days!!

Offline anniefuff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »

Kefalonia was  like that when we first went there in 1983 .

One small supermarket and a few tavernas in Lassi went back about five years later en route to Skala and couldn't believe

how it had grown can't imagine what it is like now it was the year before our first visit to San Stefanos.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »
I still dont think Skala is any bigger than San Stef. Both resorts have a similar feel to them. Taverna based rather than bars etc

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
My thread has been hi-jacked by "how crap is the airport' !

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »
This can happen benson! I agree with you about the exchange rate, I usually order from the Post Office on line, pay using my Post Office card which incurs no charge and gives me a few weeks "grace" before paying.
By the way, there are places in SS which do not accept credit cards, best to check before ordering!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
This can happen benson! I agree with you about the exchange rate, I usually order from the Post Office on line, pay using my Post Office card which incurs no charge and gives me a few weeks "grace" before paying.
By the way, there are places in SS which do not accept credit cards, best to check before ordering!

There are not too many that don't accept credit cards, but The Beachcomber is one.

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
Good tip about beachcomber, any others that don't accept cards , debit, credit, pre paid (don't fully understand why you would bother with these pre paid things) - that'll corse trouble!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni