Author Topic: Fire Flies  (Read 12970 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Fire Flies
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
It was beautiful yesterday evening after a mild day of temps of 23c and very little breeze to experience the beautiful Fire Flies as the evening turned into darkness, this is the first time this summer I have seen them so a very special occasion.  Fire Flies can normally be seen from end April through mid/end May in Corfu. If you have never seen them its a magical time in Corfu, very special and unique.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Flies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Hi Lesley.Yep the fire flys are wonderfull to see.Thought i was seeing things at first.I first saw them whilst staying with Costas and Helen from Romanza at their home in Potamos and that was the first week of the season.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
In the dim and distant past,before there were street lights or proper roads in San Stefanos,we never ventured out at night without our little torches.

The fireflies used to follow us in the mistaken belief that we were potential mates.Wish I was there to see them now.

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Love the fire flies as well.  The first time we ever saw them was walking down the hill from the Romanza in the evening - they do look really magical.  Hope we see them in May when we visit.  Can't wait.

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Saw them for the first time when we stayed at the Margaritas a couple of years ago that was early June they were amazing

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
Our first experience of the beautiful dancing fire flies were when we stayed in Roda about 20 years ago.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
Are these flies a common occurance,what will our chances be of seeing them beginning of June?. :)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
From our experience May is best, especially on the hill up to the Romanza

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
We've sees fireflies once, but I can't remember if it was last year , when it would have been June, or the previous year, when we went out a week earlier, at the end of May.
It was a magical sight, though!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Only seen them on one visit, last year in May. Good fireflies, very mixed weather though! UK had heatwave, we had dodgy weather in SS.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »
I've rarely seen fireflies in Greece, but I saw a lot when I was researching in the Caribbean on Dominica. I was staying in a guest house in the rain forest. The restaurant area was open-sided, and in one corner there was a pool fed by a hot volcanic spring.

One night I woke up in the small hours and couldn't get back to sleep, so I went down into the dark restaurant and relaxed in the hot pool. Suddenly hundreds of fireflies cam swooping into the restaurant like squadrons of helicopters with their headlights on. They flew around for about ten minutes. It was utterly wonderful and hypnotic. Sleep didn't seem to matter any more.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
Lively stories :)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
oooh I meant LOVELY

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »
Hey jimbo. Hope it wasent a reaction from the local firewater that made these flys appear.I was there 15 years ago and it was a real eye opener.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:46:48 AM »
Hi Rilo - no! I spent a lot of time on Dominica, and I very quickly learned that rum punch is a form of anaesthetic!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni