Author Topic: Corfu Weather Prospects April/May 2013  (Read 74897 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Corfu Weather Prospects April/May 2013
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
With only 2 weeks to go till the season opens I thought I would start a new thread to look at the weather in Corfu over the coming Spring months, the weather is a bit of a hobby of mine so I hope you excuse my indulgence ;)

As anyone who has visited Corfu in April/May will know the weather can be variable, last year early May brought hot sunshine up to 30c but the year before it was wet and cool.

So what about the new season in May 2013?

Obviously two weeks out its too early to forecast but its worth looking at developments in the weather over Southern Europe. Corfu has just endured one of its wettest winters on record with endless heavy rain and strong winds. This was caused by the same weather pattern that brought the UK a dry, cold and at times snowy winter as the Jet Stream that carries Atlantic depressions was displaced well south of the UK and into the Mediterranean .

The whole Mediterranean basin had 3 months of wet miserable weather as the Jet Stream swept overhead and this persisted throughout March, however, this weekend at last sees the Jet Stream moving out of the Mediterranean and back to its normal posistion across the UK.

This is already bringing a big improvemenmt in the weather in Corfu as temperatures rise to 23c with sunny skies, these conditions will persist well into next week as high pressure settles over the Balkans. In the meantime the UK gets a super soaker from the realigned Jet Stream that now passes over my house!

Anyone going to Corfu for an out of season holiday next week is in for a treat as temperatures reach 25c, a level usually reserved for late May.

As the new season approaches I will be looking to see whether this pattern is maintained giving Corfu a good start to the summer 8) or whether the Jet Stream moves back into the Mediterranean and becomes a Corfu Holiday party pooper :'(

Andy

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Corfu Weather Prospects April/May 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »
Thanks Andy that's a very interesting post hope it's nice for when we visit in June 8)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Yes, very interesting post Andy, but with so much information you sound very much like someone else!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:20:01 PM by Waspman »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
Thanks Andy. Will be interesting to see what the weather brings to Corfu during the Summer months
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
Having left London early this morning around 3c it was wonderful to arrive on Corfu soil to 23c.  I was also surprised that the Easyjet flight seemed to have (it was a full flight from LGW) seemed to be many tourists on board too. Outside the airport there were 4 coaches doing shuttle bus/coach services it would seem.  So lets hope this wonderful weather stays for all our early arrivals and encourages future visitors too.

When I left 3 weeks ago its was damp, grey and not much vegetation around now arriving back 3 weeks later the wild flowers are in full bloom all along the hillside roads as we arrived into the village, my flowers in the garden have awoken with blooms of Mauve Iris' the Wisteria tree in full lilac shades, the daisy said hello too along with an abundance of other seeds I scattered last Autumn, you know you have to leave Corfu to appreciate this wonderful island.  

So looking forward to seeing everyone soon........ 8)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
I love Corfu out of season when it's quiet.I wonder if these early visitors are staying in hotels,apartments or villas.

Now that Easyjet are starting their flights in April it should prolong the Summer season in Corfu but it means the tavernas and restaurants will

have to open up people need somewhere to eat.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »
Well village life is always the same tourists or not so we also eat  (popular to anyone's belief) in the off season, if anyone needs to taste 'real' Greek food; then our little ole village can accommodate - food and rooms - however you will not find any 'specials on a chalkboard at 7 euros a throw -  we just hit the place and order the real 'okay what's cooked today' almost regardless of price  if its a special its got to be good........and I am so happy to know all these easyjet and ryan visitors are going to experience what I did when I first worked here actually  (started work in 1982) - our first guest were end of March (back in 1986 in a hillside village community in Kato Koriakiana nr Dassia .....so season going shorter/longer etc is a trend......do hope its gonna stay....... and for anyone coming for this years Easter crack those red eggs and enjoy.......
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:48:46 PM by Lesley »

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
Great topic Andy, I have wondered for a few years now if the Jet stream is ever going to behave and head back up over Iceland to give the Uk ( especially the north ) any chance of a decent summer. Fingers crossed for Northumberland in summer , as well as San Stef this spring ! Cheers.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:04 AM »
Well village life is always the same tourists or not so we also eat  (popular to anyone's belief) in the off season, if anyone needs to taste 'real' Greek food; then our little ole village can accommodate - food and rooms - however you will not find any 'specials on a chalkboard at 7 euros a throw -  we just hit the place and order the real 'okay what's cooked today' almost regardless of price  if its a special its got to be good........and I am so happy to know all these easyjet and ryan visitors are going to experience what I did when I first worked here actually  (started work in 1982) - our first guest were end of March (back in 1986 in a hillside village community in Kato Koriakiana nr Dassia .....so season going shorter/longer etc is a trend......do hope its gonna stay....... and for anyone coming for this years Easter crack those red eggs and enjoy.......

Hi Lesley,

In April 1977 my sister went to Ipsos with Thomson and everything was open, the season in full swing.

Has the Corfu season got shorter over the years?

If so its a shame because the weather in Corfu in April is on average a lot better than the weather on the UK South Coast in July!

San Stef should open in early April not May, last year we enjoyed a lovely weekend in Corfu in late March and Kassiopi was buzzing, we had lunch at the Waves Taverna and the weather was perfect.

Why is the Corfu season so short???

Andy

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Because up until a couple of years ago you couldn't get a direct flight until May.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
As predicted the weather over Corfu improved considerably last week as high pressure built across the eastern Med and temperatures on the Island reached a very nice 25c. This weekend has continued the lovely weather with sunny skies. So how about next week?

Generally things still look good, however a small low pressure will pass over Greece on Tuesday which will bring a cool, damp day to Corfu with some rain. After that high pressure agan builds and with southerly winds temperatures in Corfu will rocket. By Thursday it could reach 30c before dropping again by the weekend as fresher air filters across the island from the north, however, by next Sunday it will still be sunny and 24c so that isn't bad at all.

It's remarkable that Corfu can see a temperature in mid April that only occurs once every 10 years at home! and it's less than 3 hours flying time away.

Less than two weeks till the season opens now and while its too early to predict the weather that far ahead the pattern a the moment supports at least average conditions although their are signs that the UK could be heading for a mini heat wave by mid may with the weather turning unsettled in the Mediterranian

Andy

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
Thought I would update this thread having just had a fantastic hot and sunny week in Corfu courtesy of the jet stream which remains stuck in it present position feeding very warm air from North Africa across Eastern Europe and the eastern Mediterranean.

The flip side to this is that the weather over Spain, France and the UK will tend in the opposite direction and be mostly wet and cool, indeed after a reasonable bank holiday the outlook for the UK for the rest of may is very poor.

In Corfu the early heat wave is likely to continue for another 10days with just the odd shower or thunderstorm, anyone booking an early break to San Stef over the next two weeks is likely to enjoy some excellent weather.

If I hadn't just come back I would be booking a week myself!

Andy

Offline slh78

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
Hi, we are flying out on the 20th of May for a fortnight and can't wait  :D but all the forecasts I've looked at are promising rain for most of that first week?! Surely not!! We are familiar with Greece, having been to Stoupa a number of times, also to Parga, Mastihari & Pefkos, but never had much rain! Anyway, weather aside we are very much looking forward to our first visit to Corfu

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
Hi, we are flying out on the 20th of May for a fortnight and can't wait  :D but all the forecasts I've looked at are promising rain for most of that first week?! Surely not!! We are familiar with Greece, having been to Stoupa a number of times, also to Parga, Mastihari & Pefkos, but never had much rain! Anyway, weather aside we are very much looking forward to our first visit to Corfu

Hi, I had a look at acu weather and they have the forecast for your first week showing sun,sun,sun all the way and pretty much the same for your second week with a little cloud on some days. I doubt very much that it will rain all day long every day. We looked at the forecast one year just before we left for Corfu and that also said rain every day and guess what it did not rain once, enjoy your first visit and have a great time. We fly out on the 3rd June for 3 weeks and can't wait.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:08:10 AM »

Hi, I had a look at acu weather and they have the forecast for your first week showing sun,sun,sun all the way and pretty much the same for your second week with a little cloud on some days. I doubt very much that it will rain all day long every day. We looked at the forecast one year just before we left for Corfu and that also said rain every day and guess what it did not rain once, enjoy your first visit and have a great time. We fly out on the 3rd June for 3 weeks and can't wait.

Ignore accuweather - complete waste of time - they just follow each weather prediction model run that are run 4 times a day.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni