Author Topic: Favourite places to visit around Corfu  (Read 16862 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite places to visit around Corfu
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
If you get as far as Old Perithia you could go the whole hog and drive up Mount Pandokrator,the highest point on the Island.

There is a Monastery and a Church at the top and you wonder how on earth they got the materials up there to build them

before motorised transport and proper road.You are supposed to be able to see the coast of Italy from there but it has to be a clear day.

You will need a 4*4 as its a very uneven track but it would make a good walk, however, it's nearly 2000 feet of ascent so you will need to be fit! Not sure I will get Gill up there!

Andy

Online Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
I agree Andy7 it's not for the faint hearted but we made the ascent in a normal car and some brave souls cycled up there,mind you they didn't look

very well when they got to the top!!

Another nice place to visit and not too far from San Stefanos is Peroulades,go through Avliotes and turn left.

Venturing further afield,if you have a car drive along the East coast and visit Kalouri,Kalami Agni.In fact almost every left turn leads to some lovely

shingle cove and the odd Taverna.

The villages in the mountains are places to glimpse the old Corfu,where you will still see the old ladies wearing their traditional dress and donkeys used as transport.

I miss the ladies in San Stefanos in their black dresses and white aprons and headdress I don't think there any left now and the modern generation will never dress like that.Sad to see old traditions die out.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
This year we want to go to climb the steps up to (I think it's called) Angelokastro not to far from Paleokastritsa. Views look as though they are lovely from up there.
We also like Afionas and always visit when we have a quad bike. Lovely little village.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:09:02 PM by Jules »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni