Author Topic: Favourite places to visit around Corfu  (Read 16861 times)

Online Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Favourite places to visit around Corfu
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
Perhaps some of us who have been going to San Stefanos for many years would like to share our favourite haunts with our newer visitors.
One of the places I like to go back to every year is Afiones. The younger and fitter ones amongst us could walk there,otherwise drive,leave your car in the village,before the Church and walk up through the old village which is absolutely beautiful just the way you imagine a Greek village should look like,little white houses and blue doors.
At the top are two tavernas,Dionysos and Porto Timoni,we prefer the latter,the food is great and not expensive.The views over St Georges bay are spectacular.If you go in the evening it is magical watching the sun go down and the lights come on around the bay.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite places to visit around Corfu
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »
Hi Dupnica

We too love Afionas and feel the magic after parking the quad and weaving our way up past the beautiful houses, stroking the cats and reaching the top!  There was a new taverna last year and we sat there watching a silent thunderstorm break over the islands in the heat of a sultry August.  It was stunningly beautiful.  A few years ago when we first found Afionas we walked along the track to Dionysos and I stood dumbstruck at the view over St. George (no mean feat). So very beautiful. 

We ventured to Dukades a few years ago.  That felt like a real traditional Greek Village.  We sat having morning coffee and the priest came out of the Church and stood talking to some chaps sitting under the old tree.  Things got heated (not just the weather) and the Priest started to literally run away - the Greeks were waving their arms and shouting after him.  My eyebrows went up as I observed and then all went quiet again - literally in the blink of an eye.  And life went on..... However the Priest disappeared!  I know not where. There's a superb little tavern in the centre called Elizabeths..  Very traditional Corfiot fare. Our time spent in Dukades was wonderful, just aprt of a village - not a tourist.  It has a long drive in to the village from the road - I think would be really good to live there.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
We too love Afionas, we stopped there for a drink/snack at one of the taverna's on our walk to the twin bays (Porto Timoni) after which we carried on to Agios Georgios, it was a very long walk but really enjoyable. We also like to visit Pagi when we have the quad and stop for a drink or two at Jimmy's café famous for the James Bond movie, I believe Jimmy now has a new taverna as well now in A.G.
Debbie, what is the new taverna  called in Afionas? We have Dukades and Elizabeths on our list of places to visit this year, just over 7 weeks to go now.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »
I'll check it for you - I have a photo!!!  On some hard drive.......  How far away is Pagi - I NEED TO GO....

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »
Thanks Debra, always keen to try out new taverna's etc. Pagi is above Agios Georgios, so get to the far end of A.G resort and turn left onto the road and you will go past Theo's hotel on the right and basically follow the steep road up to Pagi and at the top of the road turn left into Pagi, Jimmy's café is down from the wall next to the road, it is only a small village so just ask and someone will point you in the right direction for Jimmy's, last time we went in 2010 the wine was only 80 cents per glass and very nice too. Takes around 10 minutes to get up the road on a quad bike.

Online Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:33:25 PM »
The name of the new taverna in Afiones is Porto Timoni,run and owned by a very pleasant chap called Kostas (what else).
 I should have mentioned the flowers,Bouganvilia and geraniums all around the little houses,it's an artist's paradise.
 I have photographs but try as I might I can't use Imageshack!!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:45:24 PM »
How far/how long does it take to walk to Afionas from San Steph?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
Thanks Dupnica  will pay a visit.

Teamnickos, the walk via Arillas to Afiones walking at a leisurely pace takes around 45 mins to one hour, also depends on how many times you stop for a vino or two. ;D ;D ;D Some of the walk is up hill but there are shaded area's on the way.

Online Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
Once you are in Ariles follow the road along the beach to the end then turn left then right and take the road up through the olive groves till you reach the road junction,take a right again and eventually you will come to Afiones.I would say it's about an hour walk,quicker coming back as it's all downhill.
Well worth the effort when you see the views from the top.
I wouldn't recommend taking the car on this route unless they've improved the road!!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
Lilly - the name of the tavern we went to was ANEMOS - it had been open a few motnhs and a lovely young couple were running it.  I'll try and put a photo of the view from there on here!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
oops sorry for typing mistakes!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
Thanks Debra, :)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
We always visit Old Perithia in the Mountains in the Northern part of the Island, the scenary is fantastic and the Taverna food is incredible.

We visit a really old Taverna in the centre of the Village (Rick Stein recommended it on his Corfu Tour) and the food really is special.

Its a bit of a drive from San Stef but well worth it, however, watch the weather because it can be cloudy and is often affected by showers, at 1,000feet it sometimes snows in winter!

We plan to stay overnight sometime, that would be one interesting evening!

Link below.

http://www.old-perithia.com/

Andy

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
me too Adny - I want to stay in the Merchants Houses

Online Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
If you get as far as Old Perithia you could go the whole hog and drive up Mount Pandokrator,the highest point on the Island.

There is a Monastery and a Church at the top and you wonder how on earth they got the materials up there to build them

before motorised transport and proper road.You are supposed to be able to see the coast of Italy from there but it has to be a clear day.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni