Author Topic: CASH POINTS!  (Read 11916 times)

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
CASH POINTS!
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »
Where exactly are the two cash points in San Stefanos please?  I hope they are not both 'up the hill' ! lol  I don't like to bring lots of cash out so I have a credit card that lets me have Euros from ATM's with no charges or commission.  It is a lot safer than carrying cash and it's cheaper too  ;)

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: CASH POINTS!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
Hi Bee.  1 cash machine is at the Thomas bay hotel, on the main drag.The other is around margaritas supermarket,on the little road to the beach.not sure exactly.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
Hi Bee.  1 cash machine is at the Thomas bay hotel, on the main drag.The other is around margaritas supermarket,on the little road to the beach.not sure exactly.
That is correct rilo57. Rates are not always that good from the machines though.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 07:59:17 PM »
Hi Bee, the other one is right outside San Stefano Travel right by the beach. If I remember correctly I got a better rate at the one at Thomas Bay Hotel :)

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Thanks guys, that's very helpful.  I am staying just along from Margaritas so that should help.  When you talk about 'rates' do you mean the exchange rate or commission rate or both?  With the card I have I don't pay ATM charges or commission, it would just be the exchange rate that might make a difference.

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
The exchange rate :)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »
At ATM's abroad you may well get 0% loading and no cash withdrawal fee on certain credit cards, but it's very likely that you will pay interest from the day the cash is withdrawn even if you repay in full.

Some foreign ATM providers may charge a fee but this should be made clear to you at the time of withdrawal.

At present the best available is the Halifax Clarity credit card.

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
At ATM's abroad you may well get 0% loading and no cash withdrawal fee on certain credit cards, but it's very likely that you will pay interest from the day the cash is withdrawn even if you repay in full.

Some foreign ATM providers may charge a fee but this should be made clear to you at the time of withdrawal.

At present the best available is the Halifax Clarity credit card.

Thanks Waspman, but as my 'credit' card has been loaded with cash, I never pay any interest  :)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Last year we got €1.14 from the cash machine but €1.25 commission and interest free for sterling cash at the place near to Zorbas. Will probably look at doing this again if we hear that we can get a better rate than UK again. UK rate for us last year was about €1.18 interest  / commission free. Cards for us will be as a back up only.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline DavidFid

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
Quick tip when using the ATM near the beach, as I did last year.

The machine gives two options a guaranteed rate of 1.14 or the prevailing rate when the transaction goes through your bank. I took the later and when I returned home I checked my bank, the rate charged was 1.251 !!! reduced by my banks fees to 1.219 on a withdrawal of 200 euros (so with a larger withdrawal the rate would have reduced by less).

Significantly better than the 1.14 guaranteed, not sure if my bank would have charged their fees on the 1.14 but I expect that they would so reducing the rate to 1.10.

Potentially £16 more expensive on my 200 euro withdrawal.

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
Quick tip when using the ATM near the beach, as I did last year.

The machine gives two options a guaranteed rate of 1.14 or the prevailing rate when the transaction goes through your bank. I took the later and when I returned home I checked my bank, the rate charged was 1.251 !!! reduced by my banks fees to 1.219 on a withdrawal of 200 euros (so with a larger withdrawal the rate would have reduced by less).

Significantly better than the 1.14 guaranteed, not sure if my bank would have charged their fees on the 1.14 but I expect that they would so reducing the rate to 1.10.

Potentially £16 more expensive on my 200 euro withdrawal.

Thank you for that info, I will bear it in mind.  The exchange rate at the moment is so bad (almost £1 - €1) that I guess it won't change much by June.  Having had a quick trip to Barcelona recently I do have around €50 in cash so a good start  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:46 AM »
TravelFX is currently 1.159 which means you get 1150 Euros for £992. That's quite a few suppers!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni