Author Topic: A village Taxi?  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
A village Taxi?
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
In all my visits to SS I have yet to find a taxi or little toot toot that could ferry people around the village. It is quite a hike from say the Romanza to the old village or beach area,especially late at night after a drink or two? Would a little vehicle of some sorts just constantly moving from one end of the resort to the other not be a viable proposition? 1E wheresoever you wanted to go, set off on foot knowing at some point soon you can jump on and save more time for wining and dining? We all like to stroll, but some of are not as young or as fit as we used to be?

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: A village Taxi?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »
I have been saying that for years! A minibus running from Romanza to the Church or New Harbour would be a Godsend for families with children during the day to get them to and from the beach.It would also be handy for getting the shopping home,but especially at night,that hill is a killer.
What would be a reasonable charge do you think?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Hey Debs, my wife does the hill up to 4 times a day, she's a fit bird, you've seen her.  It's a nice stroll to walk off the food at 10-11 o'clock in the evening, personally I prefer the quad bike.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
At times its a nice stroll no doubts! However not everyone is fit 100% of the time? 2 or 3 young kids in tow at 11 or 12 at night? A friendly taff taff at 1 euro a head would go down a storm don't you think! Quad driving  = no vino with your meal!  Personally I think a village toot about would make a great summer living for someone 1E a head wherever in the village.I'm sure there would be steady trade at the end of the beach day and especially around meal times?

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »
When we first visited SS in the 90's, there was a taxi in the village, and the car (a Mercedes) was often parked near Kapitanos(?) on the hill. I think it was based in the village. Obviously not enough trade to keep it going. I suggest a cable car from the Romanza to the Star Bar area would be good.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »
Not suggesting a parked mercedes / taxi on call as such  Rover, just the option of moving around the village / hills in a more convenient  or timely way. Things have progressed since the 90's ? Cable cars now your talking!!! ;D

Gavlah1973

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »
One of those Wally Trolley things would never get up that hill!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
One of those "trains" like they have in Spain? Would be good going up the hill!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:32:35 AM »
Agreed ! I can make my way down the hill ok , it's getting back up after a three course meal and a bottle of wine that causes me the trouble! ......Taxi!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
I find that an Ouzo or two before the wine helps. It is good for the legs!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
The licence to operate a taxi in San Step is held by a taxi company in Sidari.

If you tried to run a taxi from San Stef you would be closed down very quickly as I understand it.

Its crazy because the cost is massive but its part of the cartel culture that controls taxi's in Greece.

Nothing to stop the Romanza running a bus but that would be very expensive and not really viable.

Andy

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:41 PM »
Yes we have often thought it would be a good idea - love the Romanza and can manage the walk back at night (agree the wine helps) but in the heat we find it too much so tend to stay down the hill now - still manage to get back for the Romanza Greek evenings though

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:24:12 AM »
No real answer there - but after an evening meal at Fantasea, Kostas will always oblige if you need a lift home.... Just ask him...
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni