Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75673 times)

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:40 PM »
I was a heavy smoker 20 years ago.I gave up when my son had developed asthma at the age of 5.It was one of the best things i ever did, not only for my son but also my own health.Im not an anti smoker as i know how much i enjoyed a fag after a meal or with a pint.I just think its curtious to have a smoke away from the area where people are eating.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
I was a heavy smoker 20 years ago.I gave up when my son had developed asthma at the age of 5.It was one of the best things i ever did, not only for my son but also my own health.Im not an anti smoker as i know how much i enjoyed a fag after a meal or with a pint.I just think its curtious to have a smoke away from the area where people are eating.

Exactly the same as me.

You can keep quoting facts and figures about smoking and passive smoking etc but the only fact that matters to me is I don't want or deserve myself or my family stinking of your cigarette smoke. It shouldn't be too much to ask should it?

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
  My last post on this subject is .about a year after i has give up the dreaded weed we went to a wedding party in the evening.as usual there was some buffet left over, my son was given some gateaux and butties to bring home with him.The following day he wanted his gateaux after his dinner, no problem.So as you do i took a small sample, it was disgusting.Was like eating an ashtray, with it standing for the evening in the room with all the cig smoke.So i am in full favour of no smoking where food is involved,and that there is no smoking in public places.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
I'm not sure the original question was about health being damaged by passive smoking, it was whether a non smoker should have to put up with smoke around them whilst eating.
I cannot see why they should have to, if you want a smoke have the common decency not to do it in an area where others are eating. Clearly smoking near diners will not be a pleasant experience for them, why should they have to tolerate it?
Oh, I'm not a non smoking storm trooper, just a smoker who goes to the bar or away from diners for his after dinner smoke.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
I have an idea.

Smokers are expected to smoke outside during the winter while non smokers enjoy eating in the warm inside.

So in summer this should remain the same with non smokers eating inside and smokers outside.

Seems fair to me ;D ;D

Andy

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
Great idea, especially when it is raining.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »
I have an idea.

Smokers are expected to smoke outside during the winter while non smokers enjoy eating in the warm inside.

So in summer this should remain the same with non smokers eating inside and smokers outside.

Seems fair to me ;D ;D

Andy

Yes because non smokers deserve to be punished for not having a dirty smelly habit, seems fair.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
The waft of cigarette smoke is ok IMHO, much more tolerable than the LOUD mouth subject matter experts (on any topic!!) who just drone on and on and on and on. Now that is a habit I would definitely ban in all establishments.

Nothing worse when standing at the urinal enjoying quiet contemplation when the local encylopedia turns up next to you and begins his next diatribe. In those situations you should be allowed to turn 90 degrees and continue peeing  :)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
Hmm.. Before you make that 90 degree turn, you should check which way the wind is blowing!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »
Andy - let's not start on global warming, which is indisputable!

Here are a few actual facts for the anti-smoking devotees to remember:

* In 2012 UK smokers contributed £12.1 billion to the exchequer - representing approximately 2% of total income, and 11.1% of the NHS budget, or the whole of Child Benefits.
* Smokers live on average five years less than non-smokers, representing a massive saving in pensions and health care.
* Smokers pay 10 times as much money towards the NHS as they cost.
* The UK is the third most expensive place to buy cigarettes in the world.
* The World Health Organisation stated that increasing prices had little or no effect on smoking rates.

It should be fairly clear from this that if smoking was actually banned, UK taxes would have to rise by substantially more than 2%.

Indisputable, you reckon?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294560/The-great-green-1-The-hard-proof-finally-shows-global-warming-forecasts-costing-billions-WRONG-along.html

Looks like Global Warming has run out of steam mate ;)

Sorry Jimbo I couldnt resist, at least we agree about passive smoking which is just as well sharing a table at the Little Prince with you and the two Gillie's ;D ;D ;D

Must do it again next summer 8)

Andy

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
I agree totally with Baj. The trouble is that non smokers do NOT have any choice whether they smoke or not if smokers are indulging in their habit. Even if you aren't convinced about the health stuff you still end up smelling of it.
 It might  be a silly comparison but I enjoy doing cross stitch and if I do it at the table it does not affect anyone else....... but if you choose to smoke I have to smell it too.  Not that I do cross stitch at the table as a rule.....(usually too busy eating and drinking and talking too much!)  but you get my drift!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
I agree totally with Baj. The trouble is that non smokers do NOT have any choice whether they smoke or not if smokers are indulging in their habit. Even if you aren't convinced about the health stuff you still end up smelling of it.
 It might  be a silly comparison but I enjoy doing cross stitch and if I do it at the table it does not affect anyone else....... but if you choose to smoke I have to smell it too.  Not that I do cross stitch at the table as a rule.....(usually too busy eating and drinking and talking too much!)  but you get my drift!

But you could say the same thing about driving a car as the exhaust fumes clog up the air and can cause respritory conditions, where do you dram the line?

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »
Andy - I can't believe your'e actually quoting the Daily Mail - the paper with the worst record of appalling lies in the history of journalism!

That the report is spurious. I'm amazed that you would quote it.

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
My complaint last year was one evening when it was particularly windy, and everyone was eating indoors.
I was very disappointed when the member of staff who was serving us, went outside to have a quick puff, then came back in,  and passed our table, still carrying a lit cigarette, trailing the smell behind her.Horrible, we won't be eating there again!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
Being a none smoker all my life I don't like people smoking near me but whilst on holiday for my 2 weeks I accept that some people will smoke at there table. By the time most start smoking it is usually time for us to be moving on anyway. Having said that we have never seen that many smoking near us either. For the sake of my 2 weeks holiday in the place we love we accept that there is a bit of give and take.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni