Author Topic: Spoilt for choice 2013  (Read 137602 times)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
Spoilt for choice 2013
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Time to think about all those lovely meals awaiting in San Stef this year ahead. Last years spring poll proved popular, the recommendations for 2012 were as follows                   
                                                                              Gold medal spot ....   Olympia                   
                                                                              Silver medal...........  Little Prince
                                                                              Bronze medal.........   Nafsica / Mythica
                                                                              Highly rated ...........   Ozzie Oils / Beachcomber / Zorbas

Did these establishments live up to expectations? Any first timers find this guide helpful? Was it a fair reflection???

From our 2012 experiences can I invite members to offer their top three restaurant recommendations for the season ahead, as previous top recommendation will receive 3 points, 2nd favourite  2, third place one point. This will hopefully be a very useful guide for newbies  and seasoned travelers alike. Regulars will note Mythica was a medalist last year, ( based on 2011) sadly Mythica did not open in 2012, did anyone come close to filling this gap? How did the Chinese restaurant do in its first season? Anyone know if Mythica may open again?

For us in 2012..1) Romanza         All dishes were outstanding with the view adding that extra something
                   ..2) Ozzie Oils        Never a bad meal, love the garden setting, so relaxed
                   ..3) Little Prince     Some great dishes and great atmosphere / entertainment throughout the evening.

Gavlah1973

Re: Spoilt for choice 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
As much as I like a chinese............I dont think I can bring myself to miss an evening of that stunning Greek food!!

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
Best restaurants in 2012 for me were:

1) Little Prince
2) Zorbas
3) Had a lovely lunch on a really windy day round in the older part of town but can't remember what it was called...Manthos maybe??  Delicious Chicken Souvlaki washed down with some Mythos, mmm mmm mmmmmmmm!!

My mouth is actually watering at the thought of it all!!  Can't wait to get to Greece in August, not San Stef but still Greece :)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
Manthos!!! That's another I missed last time around!

Really looking forward to Fantasea as well........ might let Don buy me a meal there

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
... might let Don buy me a meal there.

For a Yorkshireman, you're showing worrying signs of optimism.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:19:47 PM »
 There is one place that beats all the places to eat in SS.
 Its not available every evening and is in Avliotis.
Lesley might be able to help here,Its a festival evening, around end of july begining of august.Think its for Maria, or Name day?
If you like lamb, its to die for.you buy it by the kilo, and get what your given.Ther old guy chops it up on a wooden board, dont stand too close or you will get splattered.Also superb souvlakis cooked fresh on the bbq.Normally a stall selling like doughnuts but without jam, just a ball of dough, served with chocolate sauce or powder sugar.A big bar selling the all important liquid refreshments and a couple of stalls selling things for the kids.
Its not somthing done for the tourists, its traditional.You will be made to feel very welcome and can sit at ease amongst the olive trees, listen to the live music and let time pass you by.
We normally go by Quadbike from Spiros, if you ask he will rent you one just for the evening, cost 5 euro, well worth it i think.  Oh and dont be worried about mosquitoes, they say they dont hand around the olive trees.never had a problem.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:27 PM »
Manthos!!! That's another I missed last time around!

Really looking forward to Fantasea as well........ might let Don buy me a meal there

Manthos is very good, especially on a Saturday (BBQ night) try the meat or the fish BBQ, both great.

Manthos son is Dimitris who runs The Fedra Mare, another good place to go for a lunchtime snack and beer.

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »

Here is my choice

1st  Olympia   By a long long way.  Consistently excellent.

2nd  Beachcomber

3rd   The Waves 
Adventure before dementia

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
The trouble with all these league tables is that different people have different likes and dislikes, and it's not really a simple playing field.

For example, Ozzie Oils is obviously very popular, but we didn't like the place or the food much when we went. That's our perception.

I think it also depends a lot upon what you choose. Some places are better at cooking a specific item than others.

The bottom line is that it's hard to get a really bad meal in the village. That's one of the joys. We also have to balance food over atmosphere.

I think we should just say to new visitors, "Go and eat!" That kind of exploration is what holidays are about. The standard of food in Agios Stefanos is very high. Not cordone bleu - just good cooking with fresh meat and vegetables. In general, I'd call it "adjusted Greek." It's Greek food slightly modified to cater for visitors from various northerly regions.

No holiday for us would be complete without mussels at Beachcombers, day-fresh fish at Nafsika, and a mad evening at Little Prince.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
 You got it in a nut shell

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
I don't often agree with Jimbo but on this occasion I must, well almost.

It's difficult to find a bad meal in Agios(San)Stefanos. There are some that we visit very regularly and some not so regularly.  Mrs Wasp loves The Beachcomber, I am not so struck on it, the lack of Greek food, wine by the bottle only and no payments by card permitted.

We also love Ozzie Oils, the BBQ is terrific and Kerry's singing is devine.

As Jim Lad says there are some "musts" for us, it's The little Prince, The Romanza, Yiannis (opposite the Mythica site), Manthos, Waves (for their pikilia) and The Nafsika are not to be missed.

I would find it very difficult to list in order the best tavernas.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »
When we went we didn't really rate Mythica. It was ok but that's all. Was gutted as everyone had raved about it!!

Offline teambunny

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
Last year we really enjoyed Ozzie Oils, the BBQ and the normal menu, loved the Little Prince, as much for the atmosphere as the food. It was the first time we tried Manthos tavern and Olympia and both were great. We often do Waves for lunch - wander in off the beach and its always good. Liked Yiannis and rated Tasty corner. In contrast to most here we found Nafsilka very disappointing. Close to San Stef we enjoyed Bouklis in Arillas and the Night Owl in Afionas. Will be trying to fit everyone in over the week in May and then coming back for any we missed in August.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
Fair points raised by Jimbo and others re the overly simple 1 2 3 approach.However for a hopefully practical and timely review method I would still propose the poll is  still worth running given the fact people may like to  explain their views re strengths weaknesses  and highlight potential signature dishes of said establishment as they nominate.

Thoughts re ambiance service etc can all be added. This should provide helpful information to all? Over time the restaurants who regularly find a place in members top threes will end up near the top. Many people who travel to San Stef may not be as experienced as some on here who have decades of experience, or be able to enjoy two or three trips per year.

For some its only a  precious few days, young families  often with young kids in tow? Greece first timers? Our reviews and recommendations could go along way to aiding awareness and choice for the less experienced. People who have missed out on their previous trips can visit establishments that they did not consider or find last time. Already ( even by default ) this thread has highlighted some practicalities and issues of some eateries, very helpful! The poll is a conduit to a wealth of knowledge and experience of all that is good re San Stef dining

So please, as subjective and difficult as nominations may be, keep them coming with as much or as little info as you choose!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
I'll add mine when we get back in July! !!  Are you off this year Kev?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni