Author Topic: Litter & Rubbish On San Stef Beach  (Read 23117 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Litter & Rubbish On San Stef Beach
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 01:16:16 AM »
and that from a girl who prefers it down the far end!!!

Words fail me!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »
I spend a good deal of my time down "the far end" and I must admit that I find the amount of litter and flotsam and jetsam down there quite depressing at times. I do take a carrier bag with me when I go down to  "that end" and tend to pick up litter and deposit it in a bin on my way back.
It would be great if it was cleaned up.

Thank God for this post, I was beginning to think I had imagined the litter on the far end beach!

Yes, it is depressing but its great to hear that other people are willing to help out by picking it up instead of walking on by and pretending it doesnt exist.

Well done you!

As Lesley said its not realistic to expect the Greek authorities to do anything, they just dont have the resources. Its down to the tourist not to drop litter and its down to the regular's of San Stef to take pride in OUR resort and help keep it clean.

Andy

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »
JIMBO!  Of course you understood I met down the far end of beautiful Ag Stef's long beach!!! 

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »
Here's a suggestion:

Lesley finds out how much it would cost to have a litter bin up the nudey end. We then start a subscription fund, say £5 each, and donate a bin, with a suitable inscription: "Donated by the Friends of Agios Stefanos."

Or, given its location: "Stick your rubbishy bits in here!"

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
In case any new people are worried by this thread I suggest you look at this video of a walk along the beach.

There is not one scrap of rubbish in sight.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:14:43 AM by dimitris »

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
In case any new people are worried by this thread I suggest you look at this video of a walk along the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SePwwS8Kc

Just watched this video, I'm sure I saw that short grey haired guy with the baseball cap flick something into the sea, I'll be keeping my eye out for him next time!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SePwwS8Kc

Wrong Jimbo ;D

1min 49 secs in you walked past a large water bottle stuck in sand, clearly visible to your left!

Also, it was difficult to see the state of the sand near the cliffs where most of the rubbish tends to gather.

I am certainly not trying to put people off visiting San Stef beach, most of it is clean but the nudy bit is not.

Andy

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:50:08 PM by Andy7 »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
I love this video - didn't realise it was yours Jimbo - I watch it to cheer me up as I do the same walk many, many times when I am there. 

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
Iwould hate to put anyone off !
The majority of the beach is amazingly clean considering the number of people who use it and the state of the greek economy. The guys who run all of the sun bed concessions really do their part and the fact that many of them help by providing ash trays means that if you are on a sun bed you do not have other peoples' disgusting fag ends to deal with.
However the very far end really does get tatty. It's a price I am prepared to pay for my all over tan, but I often have to clear an area of "stuff" before I put my towel/mat down. The vast majority of the rubbish has obviously been brought in by the tide, not left by users of the beach.
 I am aware that the sunbed guys have no incentive to clean up that end and would not expect them to. So I will carry on carrying my carrier bag and trying to do my bit.
<(sits back and awaits puns.)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
As we often stay at the Romanza we use the cliff path and usually stay at the cliff end of the beach where the last set of sunbeds end. If memory serves this is the last binned area of the beach. This is often full but seems to be cleared every other day or so ( peak season )  Got to be honest though I cant recall seeing a major litter problem around the cliff area. The one thing I do see is people searching for the softer clay like stones (at the waters edge near the cliffs) and then covering themselves with the stuff. I can only guess this is a some form of  miracle /anti wrinkle /rejuvenating treatment? ( anyone know / tried this? ) It must work because everyone at that end of the beach appear to be carefree  and in good spirits!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
Sellsy..... rub some Kumquat all over yourself......will deffo attract the birds (and maybe a few wasps!)

And clear away your old Y fronts off the beach. Ta!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
The water-bottle in the sand was obviously tidal stuff. Given the prevailing NE winds, this is inevitable. I will make a rubbish video in July. Mind you, they mostly are rubbish!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:23 AM »
The water-bottle in the sand was obviously tidal stuff. Given the prevailing NE winds, this is inevitable. I will make a rubbish video in July. Mind you, they mostly are rubbish!
The new Alan Whicker.....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni