Author Topic: Litter & Rubbish On San Stef Beach  (Read 22992 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Litter & Rubbish On San Stef Beach
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
Like everyone on this forum I love San Stef beach with its shallow water and wide quiet sands, in general the beach is kept clean by the Greek authorities but last summer I saw some terrible examples of people littering the less used (and rarely cleaned) parts of the beach.

The most disgusting example was someone stuffing dirty nappies under rocks at the far end of the beach near the old harbour but worse still is the area of beach beyond Thomas Boats where the nudist hang out, here its amazing what you can find but I have seen everything from dust bin lids to a rusty bbq!

Much of this stuff is washed up from the sea where idiot boat owners have thrown it overboard but it makes that part of the beach somewhat unpleasant to walk along.

However, not everything is washed up and some thoughtless people throw their rubbish onto the sand thus spoiling the very thing they have come to enjoy! I have seem people throw down plastic water bottles having just walked past a huge bin, it makes you wonder what goes on inside the head of these morons.

I know everyone who uses this forum will respect the environment of San Stef but its disappointing that so many others dont.

I came across a website today that details how long it takes litter to breakdown on a beach or elsewhere in the environment, it makes thoughtful reading:

Time it takes for garbage to decompose in the environment (Information Source: U.S. National Park Service; Mote Marine Lab, Sarasota, FL)

Glass Bottle.......................... 1 million years
Monofilament Fishing Line… 600 years
Plastic Beverage Bottles…… 450 years
Disposable Diapers………… 450 years
Aluminum Can..................... 80-200 years
Foamed Plastic Buoy……… 80 years
Foamed Plastic Cups……… 50 years
Rubber-Boot Sole............... 50-80 years
Tin Cans……………………. 50 years
Leather................................. 50 years
Nylon Fabric........................ 30-40 years
Plastic Film Container........ 20-30 years
Plastic Bag.......................... 10-20 years
Cigarette Butt...................... 1-5 years
Wool Sock............................ 1-5 years
Plywood…………………….. 1-3 years
Waxed Milk Carton………… 3 months
Apple Core…………………. 2 months
Newspaper………………….. 6 weeks
Orange or Banana Peel...... 2-5 weeks
Paper Towel……………….. 2-4 weeks

Its sobering to think that the next Ice Age will have been and gone by the time that Coke bottle someone threw into the sea finally decomposes!

So for eveyone that loves San Stef we can all do our bit to keep the beach clean by taking our rubbish away and even picking up the litter other thoughtless people have left behind, if we all did a little it would make a big difference.

Andy

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Litter & Rubbish On San Stef Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Andy - wellm done, good message to send out and shows that as regular visitors there - we show respect for our surroundings.

Shame on those who do not!!

I wonder - though - if Avliotes Council will get to read this and do a thorough clean-up before the season starts and then maintain it.

It is disgusting and totally wrong for anyone to dump rubbish anywhere except in a bin and the nappy bit is a total no-no....

Lets see what happens in 2013.....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »
There is a group/page on FB called tidying up Corfu which has recently been started and those members are planning to get smaller groups to help around the Corfu resorts prior to the beginning of season re beach and general cleaning as well as anything of course the local authorities have planned.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
There is a group/page on FB called tidying up Corfu which has recently been started and those members are planning to get smaller groups to help around the Corfu resorts prior to the beginning of season re beach and general cleaning as well as anything of course the local authorities have planned.

Hi Lesley,

Sounds like a great idea but whats FB?

I bet I will say 'but of course' when you tell me!

Andy

Offline romanza man

• SanStef Regular
  • July 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
Hi Andy
Well done on your post. I think you will find that FB refers to Facebook, not been on to that page yet but try it out later. Again well done on your post. Roll on July 15 for our two weeks at the Romanza.

Alan

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
Yes,  sorry I did mean Face Book  :-[

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
There's plenty of rubbish on there!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
Jimbo very true but these people (including yours truly) really want to help encourage more persons here to our lovely island and in times of crisis we all need to help out so all avenues are open to discussions, yes it should be down to local authorities however, on the Arillas Forum there are early PAC in April whom are joining in, the more the merrier......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
To be honest, I've never thought the AS beach to be messy, even at the Nordic nudist end.

Beach beds from Mango include free water AND an ashtray. How posh and sensible is that?

Some of the stupidest and rubbishy postings on Facebook are by me. I can't help it. I've talked to the doctor on LinkedIn and he's made an appointment to see me in July 2015.

We're with you on this. We want the village to prosper and keep its unique friendly character.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
To be honest, I've never thought the AS beach to be messy, even at the Nordic nudist end.

Beach beds from Mango include free water AND an ashtray. How posh and sensible is that?

Some of the stupidest and rubbishy postings on Facebook are by me. I can't help it. I've talked to the doctor on LinkedIn and he's made an appointment to see me in July 2015.

We're with you on this. We want the village to prosper and keep its unique friendly character.

Hi Jimbo,

You should have gone to Spec Savers ;D

Have a closer look next time you go past Thomas Boats, you cant miss the amount of litter about and it always amazes me that some people will be on the sand surrounded by bottles, cans and crisp packets :o

The problem isnt as bad as it could be and the main beach is generally clean, but I have read several negative posts about litter on San Stef beach on Trip Adviser so for some people it is an issue.

I will let everyone know whats its like when Gill and I go out for our pre season trip next month 8)

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »
Actually - I went to Vision Express.

I seriously have never thought of it as messy beach. I will inspect it closely in July. For me, it's never been an issue at all.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:04 AM »
Maybe the Council will supply extra litter bins at the far end??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
I spend a good deal of my time down "the far end" and I must admit that I find the amount of litter and flotsam and jetsam down there quite depressing at times. I do take a carrier bag with me when I go down to  "that end" and tend to pick up litter and deposit it in a bin on my way back.
It would be great if it was cleaned up.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
In my opinion only, I think it is highly unlikely the local council will put in extra bins (Greek Crisis springs to mind) however perhaps a thought that the local owners could provide bins especially those who benefit from those on the beach, just a thought. and all of us can also help be taking our rubbish with us and depositing in the nearest bin such provided??
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:57:45 PM by Lesley »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »
Lets hope people WILL pick up their litter!

I am sitting at home on this freezing cold night with a dismal forecast predicted for next few days and I want to dream of that beautiful beach and the wonderful turquiose sea and warmth and sun and friendly locals NOT THE RUBBISH!!! 

and that from a girl who prefers it down the far end!!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni