Author Topic: Goa  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Goa
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »

Has anyone been to Goa?  I am doing my normal fortnight in June in San Stef but I was contemplating a couple of weeks in November to Goa.

The normal information please.  Which resorts are the best?  Dining/eating?  Weather etc;  Any information would be appreciated.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Goa
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »
Hi Rod
We went to Goa (North Goa in Calangute), and spent 2 weeks there.
Enjoyable and very different - Found some great restaurants -  Fisherman's Cove Restaurant in Calangute & Brittas Restaurant at Baga Beach - (10 min drive),
were both Brilliant - loads to see.
We stayed in a Resort Hotel, just a few mins from the beach. Bit old fashioned, but very clean and comfortable, Hotel food was good.....

One of my staff at work comes from Goa & has a very good friend who part owns and Manages the Hotel complex,
right in the centre of Town. His name is Joe Da Silva - Osborne Holiday Resorts - ask for Osborne 2 if you like this place.

He introduced me and we got one of the best rooms in the place at a huge discount.
You do need Air-con there. Also a driver & Taxi Car - we used Ash who lives next door and was very cheap,
He stayed with us the whole time and took us everywhere - good English and he knew his stuff.

We went just outside of the season in October - November is the start of the season, and we would go then if we go back.
We used the Taxi a lot - went to other Beaches all so different. Remember Goa is still a third world country so lots of Poverty still,
and not sophisticated like Europe. But it has it's own charm..... It also had the best Spa in town (Nepalese) that we have ever been in......

We did excursions in the taxi - Spice Plantation, Elephant wash, Old Temples etc  etc

If you want more information just ask . . . PM ME......

Here are some pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150360256186452.347417.566056451&type=1&l=2aff6a77f6

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

Great pictures Tony.  Reminds me a little like Thailand.  So is November the correct time to go?  By that, I mean it's not the raining season is it?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
The rains stop during October, we did get caught twice in Monsoon rain, but we struck lucky with the weather, which was perfect most of the time.
November is the start of the season and everything opens up then, including all the beach huts which are brilliant.
A very good time to go - maybe from the second week onward to guarantee the weather is really good.

We found the resorts to be scruffy in October as there were only a few tourists there then, but come November - it all gears up...

February is also great for weather, Xmas is nice but very hot..... Aswan Beach was very like Thailand... Baga Beach was crowded and popular - bit too much!!
But Great for a day trip and great restaurants...
Lots of nice beaches around Calanute as well.....

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

Cheers Tony.  Sounds good.  The wife and I just fancy somewhere a bit different.  We are still looking forward to San Stef though.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
I echo Tony's comments I worked there for 5 months back in 1999/2000 and thoroughly enjoyed Goa.  The North especially Baga is more built up and busier than the South but beaches are all fab.  South tends to have the posher, larger hotels and Central around Panjim (capital).

Ari & I returned for our honeymoon to Goa and we stayed South/Central at Bogmalo beautiful sweeping beach with just a couple of beach shacks for food and drinks. Our hotel was a 4 star right on the beach and apart from a handful or private houses for rent nothing else there, heaven......

Nowadays no need to do A.I for Goa as there are plenty of good quality along with local beach huts etc for food and very cheap too.

November to march is main season and if you like diving then the later in the season the better as November the sea can still be cloudy from the Monsoon season and takes time to settle, so divers normally go January for better dives.

Great local shopping too both in the various weekly markets such as Anjuna in the North and Mago in the south and the capital Panjim is full of well names shops for a fraction of the UK high street price.

A taxi driver is the best way to see the whole area and are relliable and cheap normally your hotel has assigned drivers, some taxis are with a/c some not so check first?

I loved Goa sometimes a bit of a culture shock but would go back tomorrow - beautiful people kind and peaceful

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Lesley.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »