Author Topic: Car rental  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Car rental
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and New Year!

I'm thinking of hiring a car when I'm in Greece this year, from one of the local rental places, never done that before so just wondering what's involved and what I need?? Do you put a deposit down? Will I need my full paper licence as well as my photo ID card? Don't want to get out there and not be able to do it 'cause I'm missing something vital!

Any input greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys
Georgie :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:47:55 PM by Georgie2002 »

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Car rental
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
 Hi.
 I have rented cars in different parts of Greece and had a slight difference in requirements.
In the high season at a busy resort it may be better to reserve a car before you arrive, as demand is high.Normaly your pasport and full driving licence is required, an id card is normally not accepted.From the big companys you may be asked for a visa or mastercard number to take a deposit, in case of mishaps..then its refunded to your card when returned but watch out it may take a day or two before its back on your account, so if your releying on this money for holidays be carefull you dont go in minus.
 I have had cars in SS and have not been asked for a deposit, but all are different.

hope this helps a bit

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »
Georgie,

Dont be such a wimp.  Hire a quad.  It's the best fun the wife and I have had for ages.   ;)

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
Rod - Ha!! Not sure about my 10 year old daughter sitting on the back!!

Thanks Rilo57, that's really helpful :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:20 AM »
Georgie  www.corfuexplorecarhire.com this is next to Thomas Bay and Bar38 opposite Zorbas
Vallentis will be pleased to help and give you the best service and a great deal.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
Yes agree with Tony and you can get a quote on line at website, also if you drop him an email he will be able to answer any of your questions.

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
Thanks Tony and Lesley but not going to Corfu this year, I was planning on Kos but changed my mind, now thinking of Crete!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Well Crete is wonderful to I spent 6 months working there pop a post on Trip Advisor sure you will get the local advisors replies, enjoy your hols Whilst in Crete I personally enjoyed my breakfasts most mornings which were a fresh Cretan yoghurt, local honey and walnuts and very nice too....... trips to local villages, Spinolonga, all the antiquities such as Knossos Palace  and the Samaria Gorge just to name a few things.......

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »
Yeah I'm halfway through "The Island" and I'm desperate to visit Spinalonga! Hoping to book Kokkini Hani and hire a car to drive to Plaka. Never thought about Crete before reading this book! Only halfway through so no spoilers if anyone's already read it!! :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »
Paleochora is very nice. South West corner - near two fabulous gorges.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
Hi georgie, Falasarna has a absolutely stunning sandy beach, look up images on google. On one side of the beach which has sand dunes you are practically alone and on the other side there are a few people dotted here and there with a lovely chilled out taverna and sunbeds to hire plus they give you a free bottle of ice cold water each with each sunbed hired. It really is a stunnning place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:50:10 PM by lilly »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni