Author Topic: Cash points and cash  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Cathy P

• View Profile
Cash points and cash
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Hello, I keep hearing 'rumours' about cashpoints in Greece not having cash. I know there's only 1 cash point in San Stefanos, can anyone tell me if there have been any problems with cash withdrawals this season? I am going to bring some cash but don't want to bring loads as it won't be insured. Thanks!

Also, does the travel agency take credit cards for trips?

3 days to go... :)

Offline Cerys

• Global Moderator
  • SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Cash points and cash
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
There are now 2 cash machines in San Stefanos and also 1 in Arillas. Don't let the 'rumours' scare you, we are business as usual here in San Stefanos. San Stefano Travel does accept card payments for excursions etc. and most businesses in San Stefanos also accept cards (do bear in mind that a small bank charge will be applied to each transaction). Also, if you are worried about storing valuables such as large amounts of cash etc. then there are safety deposit boxes available for rent in the San Stefano Travel office as well as in many other establishments around the village.
Kind regards,
Cerys. 

Offline Cathy P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Awesome news. Many thanks!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
Just make sure you take enough cash to see you though the first 2/3 days.
When we were in San Stef the cash machine was very hit and miss. It was the same in Skala, Kefalonia this year. There were 3 there and every day I used to walk past 2 out of the 3 and everyday at least one had run out of money!!

Nothing to do with the troubles just to do with it being very, eerm Greek!!

You'll be able to get money out but there maybe a couple of times when both have run out..... just have a buffer fund

Enjoy

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »
I would think that with 2 cash machines now, things will improve on that front.
As Gav say's  - - common sense would say take a decent amount of cash.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
When I lived there, a mobile Bank of Greece used to come once a week and park outside the Nafsika Hotel.  Does this still happen?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
Nope.

The really fresh fish van does come from the harbour to Nafsika, sometimes as the not-so-fresh-fish van from Corfu Town is delivering to many other places.

Rag and Bone Man is frequently heard on the road to the harbour from Nafsika balconies!

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
Nope.

The really fresh fish van does come from the harbour to Nafsika, sometimes as the not-so-fresh-fish van from Corfu Town is delivering to many other places.

Rag and Bone Man is frequently heard on the road to the harbour from Nafsika balconies!

I also remember various other trucks/vans selling clothes, pots & pans, vegetables.  They used all sorts of ways to try and attract attention, it was quite amusing, but I did see locals buying :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni