Author Topic: Thomson's Baggage Allowance  (Read 15167 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Thomson's Baggage Allowance
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »
I've just discovered that Thomson have reduced the baggage allowance from 20Kg - which it was in July - to a standard 15Kg.

So - if like us - you're going back after an earlier trip, be aware that you may be clobbered at the airport if you don't pay the extra in advance.

Charge for the extra kilos taken away is £28 per person! B*******!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson's Baggage Allowance
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
Do you mean what the extra is if unbooked Jimbo?? Taken from the website

Pre-booked kilos are much cheaper than the charges you’ll face at the desk. Prices start at £15 for 5kg
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
On-line booking the extras before departure was £14 per person EACH WAY. Gillie reckons it's £10 per kilo at the airport.

I guess we're helping them to reduce the £243 million operating loss TUI Plc made over the last year!

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »
We had booked this years August trip back in August 2011, and at the time of booking noticed it was 15kgs. As there are four of us and we only usually take 3 cases, we thought that would be okay, which it was.... Just.
However whilst keeping an eye on the prices over the following months  ( to ensure booking early had been the right thing to do) the allowance had gone back up to 20kgs.
Looks like it's something Thomsons is doing when they discount the overall holiday cost, as Jim says another way for Thomsons to up the final cost alongwith paying to reserve the seat you have already paid for!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »
I think they modified it for bookings after mid June.

They used to show the baggage allowance on the booking pages, but there is now no reference at all except if you check on My Thomson, where it appears to be a standard 15Kg.

Offline DavidFid

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I booked on the 3 September, for a week at Little Prince flying out from Stansted on the  28th September (week tomorrow). Our E Ticket says 20Kg baggage allowance.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
Thomson have now failed twice to send me e-tickets!

Offline paularider7

• I Love San Stefanos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Hi I have booked our holiday for next year to Corfu with Thomsons, five of us travelling, flying from Norwich and it says we have 20kgs each.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »
It's very odd - some Thomsons booking are 15Kg and some are still 20Kg

Now is the time to invest in the super light-weight cases as we did - Sub Zero G2 save nearly 2Kg each on the previous Tripp "light-weight" cases we had
 - - - and they are good and strong - - google them - - - Argos, Amazon, Matalan etc...... buy at best price
Best size for up to 20Kg is Medium - the tighter packed  - -the stronger they are.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline lizzie

• SanStef Addict
  • hair by Patricia - San Stefanos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:10 AM »

Why do you need so much - swimsuit and sarong
          well maybe not just bring a rain coat
                                  :'(
          I was 3 kilo over on hand luggage , when i agreed to pay the girl made a phn call and i got away not paying.  If you are early checking in they prob. will let you off - they make up rules as they go along.
LIZZIE

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:48 AM »
         Why do you need so much - swimsuit and sarong
          well maybe not just bring a rain coat
                                  :'(
          I was 3 kilo over on hand luggage , when i agreed to pay the girl made a phn call and i got away not paying.  If you are early checking in they prob. will let you off - they make up rules as they go along.

I weighed my 3 cases in my room before leaving for home this year (4kgs under total weight allowed) At the airport the greek check in girl weighed the cases on and told me I owed 72 Euros for being overweight. (I had noted down the weights again from the same scales she used to weigh my cases). I told her to retrieve my cases because I want them re-weighing and I'm refusing to pay unless she does so. A quick chat with her colleague and she waved us through.

Keep your eye out for this everyone and don't take the check in girls notes as being accurate just because she said so.

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
Hi Lizzie, We're going for 25 nights from 24 Sept to Oct 19 and will need some warmer clothes! The weather can be lovely but can also get very chilly and very wet, so extra trousers and shorts  + cagoule and brollie needed. Drying stuff can be quite tricky in these conditions as we have discovered, especially in the salty air. I agree, it's easy to pack too much but in the warmer months it's much easier to pack the minimum, knowing a T shirt can be rinsed out and will dry in minutes in the sun. Will need less heavy sun-cream so that's good! Last year the weather was fantastic, but at the moment it seems a lot cooler. Let's hope if we take warm clothes the sun will come out and we shan't need them. :) We also want to take some bits and pieces for people we know in the village that the find hard to get.
Off on Monday!

gillie

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Just to update you on this:

After FIVE email exchanges with Thomson I succeeded in getting the answer to my first question, which was "What's the baggage allowance?"

Because it wasn't clear I booked an extra 5Kg each to bring it up from the potential 15Kg to a manageable 20Kg. It now turns out that we have 25Kg each, because the original allowance was 20Kg. This, apparently, is not refundable. As I said in my response:

If I have paid for an additional 10 kilos we would be able to bring back two stuffed camels, several cowboy hats, and several hundred “Made in Corfu” condoms.

All this because they did not send e-tickets (three times) and couldn't answer the simple original question.

Hint: when booking, print all pages - ALL pages - and stare hard at the baggage allowance. You will NEVER see it again.

I have carefully made my bag weigh just over 20 kilos. Expect a rant shortly after arrival.

The good news is: assuming the appalling weather here allows take-off and landing, we're leaving for Yamassland in the morning.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
There baggage info also states that no one piece of luggage can weigh more than 23 kilos so even having got 25 kilos you can only use 23 kilos of it
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:30:40 AM »
Yip.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni