Author Topic: Best Case Scenario?  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
Best Case Scenario?
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
1 week to go, we are one suitcase short! loaned one out and never got it back!
Our hard shell indestructible case is cracked ! So guys and gals whats the best make and model out there? Has anyone tried the supposed worlds lightest cases? Are they up to the job? New shell cases any good? It seems real quality cases take up 1/3 rd of your weight allowance!

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Best Case Scenario?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
My brother has just bought two of the world's lightest ones.
They haven't actually used them and seen if they survive the baggage handlers yet, but
they have got 10 yr guarantees with them.
They are extremely light though, as my arm shot up in the air when I picked one up expecting it to be heavier.
I think they got theirs from Matalan.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Thanks Denise, had a quick look at these, super light is an understatement ! Not 100% convinced they will be up to the task and, as the decent size ones are around £70 - £ 80 I may just  stick to a more traditional case, thing is they all weigh quite a lot. The shell ones are lighter but our last one cracked...perhaps its the fact that I hate spending money that's holding me back! Now next dilemma 4 wheels or 2!

Offline strogs

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
We bought Tripp extra light cases a few years ago.  They certainly were lighter than our old cases and they have certainly stood up the the grief they get from baggage handlers.
You can either get them on line or Debenhams sell them.  Hope this helps.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
I have used a large "holdall" style Antler bag for some years. These bags are less prone to damage, but care is needed when packing to protect breakables. The bag also has wheels, and a useful waterproof section which will prevent spills/leaks into main part of bag. The weight is not bad, and I am generally pleased with it, but packing is not as easy as with a "rigid" case.
When you see how your bags are treated "behind the scenes" in the handling process at airports, expensive kit may not be such a good idea?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
We have (currently) very light brightly-coloured hold-all style wheeled bags from Debenhams.

Having coloured bags makes it much easier to spot them on the baggage carousel  :-)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »
We bought 2 x Sub Zero G (second generation) cases, from the net, bit cheaper that Matalan.
Then we ordered 2 x small cabin cases to go with them, these from Argos and were on sale 40% off.
perfect for Thomsons and airlines with low cabin weights.
Also good for Easyjet and Ryan air as the cases fit their max size.

Lightest cases ever, very strong, stronger than they looked when empty.
We took them to Corfu and they stood up well to the trip, just a couple of marks.
They come with a 10 year guarantee and a light weight but strong frame.

Note; the guarantee won't cover damage, this is always down to the airlines involved.

Buy the best size for todays planes.
The 20-23 kg. is Medium, and packing them out adds strength.
Fabric marks a little but is strong, no problems with frame, fabric or wheels re: wear & tear.

I recommend them for the San Stefanos type holidays -
we found we could take much more than normal (around 4kg extra between us), and the cases are easy to use, and easy on the wheels.
The 2 wheel (roller-blade type wheels), cases are far better than those older models with 4 small caster type wheels.

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Cheers for that Tony, helpful info, good points re size to weight ratio, with a 20K max on many carriers the largest cases would be half empty! Thanks.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:29:43 AM »
No Problem,
I read loads of reviews on the net, re: these cases before I bought them, including Argos, Amazon and Matalan reviews.

The main point they made was to use the right size case and pack them out as it added strength and rigidity.

Also because the Outer material and liner are simply a thin tough fabric, I laid out a towel inside first and "wrapped" the contents - -
just in case they ripped.

I am happy to say they took the usual battering with no problem at all. - - Very pleased with them.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni