Author Topic: boat trips to the islands  (Read 13129 times)

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
boat trips to the islands
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
Just been reading about the San Stef travel boat trip to the islands-has anyone done it? What is it like? I'm a bit concerned cos it seems to put lots of emphasis on jumping off the boat into the sea and I'm not a strong (or brave :-\) swimmer. Surely its not the only way to actually get to the islands is it?

BTW thanks for all the replies I had about buying OTC painkillers for my teeth-you will be pleased to know I had the beggars out and have currently got 2 craters in my gum-hopefully they've healed by the time we go.... ;D

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: boat trips to the islands
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
The jumping in the sea bit is only for half an hour and is optional. The boat actually ies up in the harbour at both islands and you just walk ashore. Its a good trip and you can get a great tan, my only moan was that there really isn't very much to look at when you are ashore so its either sun bathe (very little shade) or sit in a Taverna (not a great choice). Having said that we will almost certainly do it again. This year we are looking at doing the trip to Corfu Town by boat for a change of scenery.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
As RJN rightly say, nobody actually chucks you off the boat into the briny. It's all terribly civilised.

There are things to see - a bit of island life etc - if you take a walk.

The boat trip to Corfu Town is very nice. Down the east coast past the posh bits (if you'll excuse the phrase), wander round the town, marvel at the fur coats and the price of a beer, back on the boat, which stops near the north east tip of the island for an entirely voluntary swim. Would have done it again, but Corfu Town in searing heat is not really on!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
We did Erikousa this year - great boat trip - and as above - walk off /on - and walk around the Island - Taverna - or beach - they do have beds and Umbrellas there.

But - - - why go all the way there and not look around!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »
We've never done a boat trip from San Stef. I assume these trips are from the new harbour, or do people travel to larger towns for the bigger boats / longer trips?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:18:47 AM »
The local islands are all from the harbour. Noula and her lovely staff will take you there for a paltry sum.

Albania, Paxos etc from Corfu Town - so long coach trip. Corfu by boat is only about 30 minutes bus to Acharavi and well worth it.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:35 AM »
As Jim says, and if you want a lift and pickup to the new harbour - just 2 euros from San Stef travel.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
  Hi, if your feeling realy adventurous, why not stay over on erikousa for a night.Its a real nice island to explore and very quiet when the day trippers have all gone.you could usually link up with the boat trips from san steff.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:50:32 AM »
Nice idea - but when we went it was simply too hot there, no breeze on the east & south sides of the island,
even the young and fittest, gave up the hiking and sat in the shade of a local Taverna that day.
So - - - maybe when we next go early or later in the season, we'll try it again.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
To be brutally honest, there's not a lot to see. But if it's not too hot or too rough, it's a nice boat trip - and section to and from Sidari gives you great views of the cliffs.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
We did a night boat trip to Corfu Town with San Stef Travel

To be fair it was just ok!

We got picked up from the Romanza around 3pm. Meant we were in our evening wear during the heat of the day.
Bus then went to Sidari to pick up then onto somewhere else where we got on the boat. Journey lasted about an hour on the boat but there was no shade on the top deck. Dont think I've ever been as warm in my life!!
We had about 3 hours in Corfu Town which we loved, had some superb Moussaka overlooking the cricket pitch on the Liston!
We then did the journey back in reverse! It seemed to take ages coming back and not much to see as it was pitch black!
We got back around 10.30pm.

I enjoyed it but it was hard work in your evening wear

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »
The day trip to Kerkyra is nice. Boat stops for a swim on the way back - much needed!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
We are planning on doing the day trip this year. we've done all the other local ones so fancy a change and a couple of hours in the town will not be too bad. It will beat the bus journey anyway!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
My highest recommendations would be that and the mountain trip to Mount Patokrator and the abandoned village (excellent local food).

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:29:34 AM »
My highest recommendations would be that and the mountain trip to Mount Patokrator and the abandoned village (excellent local food).
So if it was abandoned - was the food dusty?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni