Author Topic: Travelling and staying on own  (Read 13174 times)

Offline Chrissie49

• View Profile
Travelling and staying on own
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
Hello

I am hoping someone can help me I visited San  Stefanos last October stayed at the Tsaros apartments had a lovely holiday and fell in love with the place. Now I would love to return but circumstances have changed  in my life and I would be returning on my own,
What I could do with is advice with where to stay on my own would it be safe and travelling ect.
  Hoping someone can help
Chrissie49

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling and staying on own
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Hi there, Chrissie,

When we were there in June we met a lovely lady called Jean, who was travelling on her own for the first time since her husband died in January.
She was staying in an apartment at the Three W's and came down to the Vicky most days, to sunbathe and be handy for the sea.
Although she was well into her 60s she said she felt completely safe, and went around the whole village with no problems.
She'd booked a flight from Prestwick with Ryanair, and I think the only problem she'd had the whole time was her transfer to the resort, when the driver of the cab tried to let her off in Sidari, to get the bus from there on, but she stood her ground and eventually he relented. (I don't know how she arranged the taxi, but I doubt it was from San Stefanos travel)
I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Iris

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »
Chrissie, anywhere in San Stefanos is quite safe, although if I was a Lady on my own, I would find an Apartment or Hotel fairly central, in the quieter side of central San Stef.,
or in the main area if that is your preference.

It depends what you prefer - Apartment or Hotel room.
Many single traveler's prefer somewhere where you can get a room without a single supplement, so check Thomsons and ask around.
Maria and Peles maybe - and check Noula's website - San Stefanos Travel. Theodosia Apts. would also suit you.
San Stefanos Travel will organise your Transfer if you go privately.
Lesley can also usually suggest something and I think you should PM her.
Tony

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:42:53 AM by tonyco1 »
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
Getting on a bit now, (Crikey that makes me sound ancient) my husband and I have discussed what we would do regarding holidays if and when we find ourselves on our own. if I should find myself on my own I wouldn't hesitate to return to Anatoli Apartments run by Michali and he agrees. It's in the old part of the village opposite Manthos Taverna and is handy for both Tavernas and the beach with hardly any walking involved, which would be a plus for me coming back at night after a meal.  I know many single people particuarly women feel totally safe here and return each year. Katie his wife will arrange a taxi for you so you don't have to worry about transfers. All his apartments have views over the beach with balconies perfect for just sitting and relaxing on.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
My mum visits on her own and has stayed in various studios around resort, she is now 76. She prefers the older part of village as its flater and closer to beach and supermarket with a choice of quieter cafe/bars and tavernas.  She likes Anatoli Apts as its not too far from Kamini for a predinner drink, down the road from beach, Nafsika pool for a swim lunch/dinner, Beachcombers for an evening meal, Mistral for lunch after sunning herself on beach, Waves, Manthos are all close by too.
In the morning/evening all rooms at Anatoli have a seaview so you can see and hear the waves lapping etc etc........

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Hiya,

I know it's not quite the same but I'm travelling with just my 9 year old daughter, so not quite alone but the only responsible adult!  I've stayed in Sidari twice, just the two of us and felt perfectly safe and I'm sure San Stef is a whole lot safer than somewhere like Sidari.  Staying in San Stef for the first time this year though so will let you know how I get on.  I know it can be quite nerve wracking the first time you travel alone, my daughter was only 6 the first time I travelled alone with her, but you'll find it much easier than you think it's going to be I'm sure.
Georgie  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
Nafsika seems to be quite popular with single women. It's a very friendly and sociable environment, because you chat to people at breakfast and supper - plus things like the pub quiz night. Also in the old town and very close to the beach...

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
AS everyone has already said SS is a lovely safe resort for single travellers and also for young children as well. If on your own there are lots of people around who you may be able to strike a friendship with as well. Everyone makes you very welcome in and around the village
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Chrissie49

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
Hello

First of all I want to thank you all for your kind advice I knew I would get some good advice having been on the forum for a while,
What I think I will do is have a look at the Anatoli Apts and the Theodora Apts I had looked at Thomson but nothing is coming back on-line for a single passenger, Plus I have to look at flights from Newcastle, but can not see much of a problem there the transfer was the only thing I was unsure of but if I can get something organised that would set my mind at ease.
I now know who to get in touch with,  so hopefully I will be back in lovely SS in September.
Thank you again it nice to know there is places were you can go and feel safe and people will not think you strange for been on your own.

Chrissie49 x 

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
Chrissie, another good thing about Anatoli  Aps is that they are pretty flexible on changeover days, they are not set in stone

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »
Chrissie, San Stefanos is the kind of place where unless you make it obvious you don't want to speak,
people will talk to you and you will make friends easily here.
It's easy to arrange a taxi transfer and San Stefanos travel can arrange that with no problem, wherever you stay,
if the owners cannot assist with a transfer.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline lisak123

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
chrissie49,make sure you book at the end of september then you can come to our wedding in ss,i myself am a geordie  ;D

Gavlah1973

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
San Stef travel are superb. They did our one way transfer a couple of years ago....minibus to ourselves and the driver was great pointing out all the sites. He even did a lap of San Stef to show us the Tavernas etc on the way to Romanza.

Best of all we didnt have to pay there and then....we just went into the village on our second night and paid then

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
Hello Chrissie,
As I type this I am in Theodosia apartments San Stef. I am alone here for five weeks.
I have visited the resort for the past 13 years, with my partner, children and childrens' friends  and various combinations of these
For various reasons I am on my own this year as I have been for periods over the last 3 years. I have also come out at October half terms.
I think that  Theodosia is a brilliant place to stay as it is between the old part of the village and the new. I book it through Noula at San Stef travel and I always have a room on the first floor. This means that I feel somewhat safer being one floor up ,,, but have to say I would not worry being on the ground floor.

There is no problem what so ever about being alone. as everyone has said, if you want to  talk to people they will talk to you if you want to do a Greta Garbo they will accept that too. I have never felt at all lonely here. I go out to dinner with a book... just in case... but rarely read any of it! All pool bars will welcome you if you want company in the day. It is a wonderful place to be. Any particular`questions/enquiries jus ask. Do not hesitate to book.

joan

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:58 AM »

Hi Stressed.
 Glad to see you arrived safely and are in usual place, really don't think you need your novel when we are around as loads to catch up with. Will be out as said, tell Steve it will be in his interest  to get the drinks in ready and waiting....mine is a G&T and a large beer for my better half.
See you soon. :D

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni