Author Topic: Just back with a quick review  (Read 50179 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Just back with a quick review
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »
Ahhh! Beam me up Boris!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
It's great to catch up - got back late Monday night (6th) after having to sit on the runway for over an hour waiting for the temperature to drop in order take off?!!  Home to the seal broken on the washing machine and the computer having been switched off - unresurrectable, and we so chilled we just took it all in our stride!   So now the new computer and able to look on forum.

We had a wonderful two weeks - the first week staying self catering at the Anatoli, small but good.  Our first night I introduced our son and the rest of the party to the food at the Nafsika and then for seven nights ate somewhere different.  Had a lovely meal at Waves, at Manthos during the power cut, a fab meal for mine and hubby birthday (same day) at Delfino but possibly the best that week was at the Olympia - 3 courses and all were perfectly cooked and to top it all (DO NOT LAUGH) they played Julio Iglesias for me!  On my very first visit to Ag Stef we stayed at the Nafsika and every night we walked past the Olympia to hear Julio.........evoked lovely memories.

I love the old part of the village and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else (may have to next year for the wedding though).  After a week the rest of the party left us (they definitely down at mouth) to enjoy another week - off we went to Nafsika - across the road from Anatoli.  Speros offered to bring his car up for our bags!  How funny, it was a hop and a jump away.  Had room 14 (top floor at car park end) as we had booked directly with hotel - a much bigger room than we had had before and queen size bed.  And Jimbo, you are right, I spend most of my holidays banging pillows and John threatening to throw me off the balcony - but these were just right!  Theodora was back and the food sublime.  On my way down the stairs after unpacking bumped into lovely folk we had met there (their first time, now they visit twice a year) in 2006.  It's that sort of place (if you are reading this A/V - come on the forum!)

I still love AG stef, the beach, the views, the sunshine but above all the people.  I was telling my friend yesterday that they work to make a living not a killing and their family values are what we should all aspire to.  We were treated so kindly all the time we were there but especially when the two children were with us.  One uses a wheelchair and the help we received was humbling. 

Got on the quad and travelled to our favourite places, Afionas, Peroulades, Avliotes, San George etc.  Found a new bar in Afionas with amazing views of the islands - The Anemos (been opened couple of months) and returned to watch the sunset there.  Blimey, it is like Picadilly Circus in the evening in Afionas!!

We are now looking to book for our sons wedding August 1st 2013.  Old part is favourite but there are a lot of us.  Ben (our son) considered Villa Quietude but it looked a little unkempt and asked around a little to find that maybe the  cleaning services were not brilliant and at over £3,000 didn't want to risk it.  Romanza Villas look great but so expensive and also have to consider the wheelchair and hills!!!  Any ideas would be most welcome.  Little Prince is really expensive with Thomsons and not sure I fancy first row seat to JJ,even though enjoyed his singing!

Was really sad to come home but at least the sun has been shining in Derbyshire which sushions the blow a little, but I too just want to go back.  For me it feels as if the world outside of Corfu stops for me and I just exist totally in the moment, swimming, sunbathing, eating and having good times - just what a holiday should be.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
 Hi debra. maybe the the Fantasea ( old golden beach) is an option, has very nice studios and apartments.take a look.  www.sanstef.gr

Offline shelly

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
Have you checked out Angelos ... there are 6 apts in total with a great swimming pool. Still in the quiet part of the village and the apts have great views and are very clean. The climb up the hill isnt to taxing either. We have had some amazing holidays up there and Angelo's ( who owns Waves ) and his family are very welcoming. If you need any other information just ask or contact Noula

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 07:20:28 PM »
Great review Debra and it sums up just right what we all love about SS.
Have you looked at the aprtments by the beach run by San Stef travel for next year. No pool but you are right next to the beach and sea.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:22:13 PM by Jules »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
Debra,

That was beautiful. 

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 01:21:54 AM »
Rod - thank you, a lovely thing to say.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
Hi Debra
I really enjoyed your report.
Lovely - you really described it well - and you were spot on the way you described the local people.
We simply could not agree more - great values there in San Stefanos - and the reason we always return.

There are lot's of options for Apartments around the older part of town,
consider them all. Each is good and has it's own stamp on what it offers.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Loved your review Debra think we just missed you at the Nafsica we left on 27th July we also love the old part of the village especially this year as there seemed to be more "singers" than ever but suppose they are trying to make a living and if it brings in more income then good luck to them

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Yes Dibully, was in the resort but didn't go to Nafsika until Monday 30th July - Friday 27th was our birthdays not just the opening ceremony! :D

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
We're sitting in Glen's right now having a Mythos and contemplating sardines at the Summer Dream for lunch........lovely!

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Sounds lovely Iris.
We'll be able to do the same on Friday.
Can't wait!!!!! :D 8)

Offline julie-1402

• Honeymoon @ Romanza 20th August!! 1st time in SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
Just recently back from our honeymoon and also the first time to visit san stef!

When we arrived in Corfu airport and headed to the transfer bus a lady came over to us and asked if I was Julie :D and handed me a card!  It was from Sellsy (Kevin and Debbie)... that made our day!

We were staying at the Romanza, and who just happened to me our neighbours, Sellsy!  What a lovely couple they are, Richards a bit un-decided about Kevins music choice haha ;)

On arrival into our room at the Romanza we were greeted with a bottle of bubbly on ice from the hotel staff which was a lovely gesture and also a little present with card!

I could not fault the hotel at all, we were so happy with everything about the hotel (apart from the "short cut" up the cliff path from the beach haha).  We had a fabulous view from our balcony too.  We attended the Greek Night on Sunday with Sellsy and what a great time we had, Andreas even managed to drag Richard up to dance!  What made the night even better was when I thought I recognised a lady at the Greek night from home!  I was so sure it was her but did not want to go over... So Sellsy said he would go and ask.  Turns out she was from the other end of the country to me :D  Glad I did not ask her myself and he was the one to make a fool of himself haha.

As for the rest of our honeymoon we have no complaints there either.  We tried many different places to eat and did not once have a bad meal!
Tasty corner was the favourite for lunch, our pita Gyros which I had been having withdrawal symptoms from since last year.

We met some lovely local people on our honeymoon, everyone was so friendly and helpful which is such an important thing!  One couple in particular that really touched our heart was Julia and Nikos from Sotto Zero!  We sat for hours talking about our families and home lives with them.  It was so nice to see how much they value their children and their grandchildren.  We were very sad when we had to go and say goodbye to them both on Sunday :(  We will definitely going back to see them next year. 

We spent our days lying on the beach and swimming in the sea, such a relaxing time!  On an evening we were quite happy sitting in the peaceful bars watching all the passers by sipping our cocktails.

All in all we had such a great time and are already looking at holidays for next year with my 2 children, if we can wait that long!

I've already been recommending the place to everyone I talk to back home/work as its such a nice place to visit. 

YANNIS26

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
Hi Julie
Glad you had a brilliant honeymoon.In your visits to the Sotto Zero did you meet Demetra.Many years ago,probably straight from school she worked in the pool bar at the Romanza.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
Glad everything was wonderful for Julie. You picked a great Hotel and resort to spend your honeymoon in.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni