Author Topic: Just back with a quick review  (Read 50178 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Just back with a quick review
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:59:24 AM »
Returned home from San Stef at 2.30pm yesterday to wind and rain at Bristol airport - what a shock after the 2 hottest weeks we've ever experienced in San Stef. Phew.

Every morning the mercury in the Fedra Mare was showing low 30's in the shade. The pool was like a warm bath. It was hot and too hot to do anything (I did try to walk over to Arrilas last Saturday - what a mistake that was - lucky to make it back). Anyway a quick review.

I thought the resort was reasonably busy for the time of year. The beach especially seemed busy with the Waves, Mistral and Manthos doing well at lunchtime. The food was the best its ever been with the worst meal getting a "good" rating. Special mention for the Little Prince, Olympia and Manthos which were all excellent everytime.

Prices I thought were slightly down overall from last year. We paid between 35e and 48e for 3 2 course meals with 1 litre of house white and 2 pepsi's. That's not bad. The supermarkets were different with English stuff costing a lot more. Bring you're own coffee and tea bags would be wise. Beer was good value wherever you went.

Didn't see anyone in the Chinese during the first week then it seemed to go crazy with nearly a full house on the middle-Sunday of our trip - quite a surprise. Never spoke to anyone who had eaten there though and it is closed during the winter.

The locals are all concerned about the increase in taxes. It seems the government are taxing every breathe. From those I spoke to they wish they'ed never joined the damn Euro. I wouldn't argue with that. The exchange rate got better as the holiday went on and was at 1.25 on Sunday last. So if you aren't planning to go this year try and make it, your money will go far.

Final word on the Fedra Mare. What a place and what great hosts/company Hari and Dimi are. Already booked for next year.

P.s had the pleasure of meeting Waspman and his lady wife - lovely people.

Hope you find this useful. Yammas.   

When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Just back with a quick review
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »
Forgot to mention those damn mozzies. God they are bad this year. Despite following all the usual rules, sprays, tablets in rooms ect etc my son and wife were taken to the cleaners. I myself had 4 prominent bites on my balding head which was lovely......not. Whatever you do take as many precautions as you can including long dresses for the ladies which seem to be very fashionable this year and effective (wife didn't get bit after we bought her some in Margerita's - nice as well).
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:46 AM »
Thanks for that Tredegar Boy. Love reading reports on our favourite holiday resort. Can't wait for our turn end of August. Has the Olympia menu changed from last year at all? This is one of our all time favourite places to eat at night. Glad you had excellenr weather as well. Just a shame you have to come back to the rubbish British Summer
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:13:19 AM »
We got back today and must echo Tredegar Boys report.
All meals good some great!!  - - - and well priced, Great meals at Fantasea, Nafsika, Beachcomber Bistro, Little Prince and a special mention for Olympia this year.
I loved their version of the Chicken Kiev - best ever!!
We also went to three BBQ's at Ozzie Oils - Kerry fantastic - BBQ food excellent!
Party night at Tereza's BBQ was the evening of the holiday, v/close Joint runner up withg Ozzie Oils, was Romanza's BBQ evening.
Romanza had an impromptu singer turn up, (usually in Athens), totally brilliant singer! - - - very well know in Greece - - lucky us!!
Chinese averaged 6-8 people when we passed by. We did not eat there as too many other places we wanted to go to!
The Chinese looked good and I asked a diner sitting near the front, - - he said it was quote "FAB".

Mozzies were biting well - not me as usual - I have no Idea why they never bite me!!
Por Tony Yorens was bitten 15 times on just one arm - plus all over him.
He found a cure - - put Balsamic on the bites - as per the girl in the ice-crean parlour's advice, & the bites disappeared in 3 days!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
Thanks for the mozzie advice boys . armed to the teeth and ready for the little sneaky rascals ... maybe the winds will scare em away for a few weeks now ... have to try balsamic advice .. thats the only thing that bothers me ,, the afterburn .. ... we found that boots soltan aftersun , or baby oil with aloe vera keeps em at bay pretty well . may just be a luck thing tho !! 3 days to prepare for battle .. might take a horsefly over in a match box and leave him guard our room !!!

on a serious note ,does anyone think that mite be a plan ,,, SPIDERS ... to tackle the mozzies ?????

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »
Thanks for that re Olympia and Teresa as well Tony. Mozzie repelent all in hand  and Roy is still on the marmite. In all our years of going he has never had one bite. Not from the mozzies anyway lol!!!!!!!! :D ;D ::)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »
I love the Olympia. I had my best meal there last year. Can't wait to go there again.
Enjoyed reading your quick review, makes me more anxious to get there!!
I have to smother myself in Jungle Formula and put the machines in the rooms , or else the little beggars eat me to death.
Even Malc got bitten last year and they usually ignore him.
That reminds me, I'd better get on Ebay and order my replacement No-Bite tablets for my plug in.
Only 6 weeks Friday!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
Got home at midnight last night.

We had a fantastic couple of weeks staying at Nafsika. The food, as always, was excellent: I've heard some people say that half-board you get small portions - well, I had to ask O Spiros on many occasions for smaller portions, and anybody who wants more than that probably eats with a shovel. Wonderful moussaka, with the lightest bechamel imaginable - superb fish, and Spiros introduced us to something I've never really had before: Greek soups. These are light and delicious - not the thicker northern European variety designed for winter, but more like a consome - the bean soup was was a joy. Personally, I don't like French onion soup much - it's like eating burnt slugs - but the Greek onion soup is sweet and delicate.

Our balcony looked out over the islands and the sunset. Big change from staying in the heart of the village looking at Jerry James. In fact we hardly ever made it into the main bit of the village itself. It's so peaceful in the old village - the sea's 25 yards away, there's no battle of the tribute singers, who are spreading through the new part of the village like a plague of sonic rats, no frogs - just the sound of the sea. Utter bliss!

The staff at Nafsika are wonderful - Christos, Stephanos, Kleopatra, and Vassilis, who has moved from Zorba's to Nafsika (saving me the cost of a dinner at Zorbas, since Gillie could ogle him every day for nothing.) Could not have wished for better service. And, of course, Spiros is a fount of knowledge on a vast range of subjects. Theodora and George returned safely from the USA, where George had successful surgery, and Theodora took over the kitchen again within seconds of touching down.

Met many forum members - Waspman, Tony Cox (first time meeting - had some good jolly meals!) - Alan and Carol, Lesley (thanks for a fab barbecue!), and it was really a delight to meet Diane and Tony (dibully) and particularly wonderful to see Diane getting stronger every day as she recovered from a recent operation. And many more new and old friends.

One of the laziest, most relaxing holidays we've ever had. Wish we could go back tomorrow.

Saving the really exciting news until last - Natasha and Irina turned up for supper one night!!!! They were staying in a villa up towards Arillas. I have pictures - and will post them when I get them off the camera.

Can't possibly recommend Nafsika too highly. Want to get back ASAP!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:44:34 PM by Jimbo »

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Thanks for that report Jimbo, really looking forward to our first visit to the Nafsika.

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
I think I may have to visit the Nafsika for a meal one evening, sounds wonderful!  3 weeks and 3 days to go....  :D

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
Nafsika moussaka is the best I've had, can't recommend it enough.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
Couple of other things about Nafsika. I've been going to Greece since just after the fall of Troy, and Greek pillows in all my experience are a bit like a chunk of the Elgin Marbles in a pillow case. Not so at Nafsika - two soft fluffy pillows! Real pillows! The sort you can snuggle your head into, or gently bash into a friendly shape. Joy!

Also the pool is lovely - big, with flowering shrubs around, and a little corner like a bower that's shady and cool. I spent several hours there writing (old fashioned writing with a pen - remember that?). It was never remotely crowded.

We fell in love with original part of the village this year. The older Greece, with mod-cons - including being able to flush the paper down the loo! Pillows, pool, paper... Wow.

Got back to Corfiot weather. Brilliant. Had a company meeting in the garden of a local wine bar. It was seriously hot (currently 82 F in Hull) and the poor dears were like pale ghosts, whereas I was bronzed and Adonis-like (who's he kidding? - ED).

Can I go back, now? Please!!!!   

Gavlah1973

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
Not interested in hearing about hotels, food, new/old friends......wheres those pics of Natasha!!??

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
God - you're so impatient, Gav!

I was going to do a pretty web page for this, but as you're so eager, here's a quick pic (Natasha on the left, me in the middle, and Irina on the right):

http://www.melissiapps.co.uk/jim/BILD0251.JPG

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
Where's the Thomson rep she lusts after?!
Cant wait till she pops up on here with her 'review'!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni