Author Topic: The Cheese Man  (Read 11638 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
The Cheese Man
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »
I wanted to share this wonderful experience with all whom visit, love and embrace Agios (San) Stefanos and as a sorta local (I am married to a Greek man from the nearby village of Avliotes). So we often frequent the harbour of San Stefanos a short if somewhat hot walk from the resort centre often as we drive it, picking up or dropping off visitors who also come down to see what the real local life is all about.  You sit in the 'Kantina' run by our man of course Spiros and catch the comings and goings of the fisherman or listen to the arguments always seems (to me) to be in my limited Greek about politics with lots of Ouzo and retsina being consumed as the locals put the world and Greece to rights.  However today was something else so special it really did touch my heart......A Cretan Cheese seller arrived selling the most sumptuous and tasty cheese I have ever eaten, if fairness he didn't know who would be there but after a few ouzos he and his brother downed, the music began, the cheese was offered around and a mini festival began, all the normal conversations of politics where by the by as those who made their way down to our little harbour who happened to be passing were able to  enjoy the dancing, singing and the beautiful cheese, yes of course he wanted to sell his cheese but it didn't matter we all enjoyed our lunchtime 'frappe', ouzo or retsina, he posed in his leather Cretan boots and traditional costume, I just love random days like this on our wonderful island of Corfu and Greece.  A french couple and a Austrian Couple also just were in passing stopped drank and took part as they took photos they will surely go back to tell many happy stories and pass the word of the 'Filoxenia' which cost nothing and is in abundance on our beautiful island.  Visit Greece, Corfu and Agios (San) Stefanos just comes to mind.  I live here and was touched so hope you will be too......... 

YANNIS26

Re: The Cheese Man
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »
Hi Lesley
Thanks for that wondeful snapshot of life in San Stefanos.It is scenes like you have so brilliantly described that  fetch myself and no doubt many others back year after year.
Efharisto

Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:04:08 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
Wonderful Lesley - I could imagine it - I SO wish I was there now

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
What a lovely enlightening story in what must be difficult times thankyou for sharing it with us Lesley

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Lesley, marvelous picture painted. Sadly the cheese counter at the local Asda was a little lacking in atmosphere this morning, no ones fault, it just wasn't San Stef!

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
Hi Lesley,

What a nice story, it reminds me of an evening last year when Gill and I were at a back street Taverna in Corfu Town when some young Greeks suddenly got out a Bouzouki and started singing lovely Greek songs.

It didnt matter that we couldnt understand the words it created a lovely atmosphere and it was great to see Greek youngsters enjoying traditional Greek music and songs.

Impromtu Greek nights like that are what makes the country so special.

Andy

YANNIS26

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »
Andy
If you enjoy impromtu greek nights.I am certain you will enjoy the one at the Romanza during your visit.It is organised as muchas it takes place at 8pm on a Sunday.With the mixture of visitors and locals what happens next is shall we say flexible.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
Sounds brilliant!
We have tried the Kantina in the Harbour before - very friendly!
I also love the impromptu times in corfu.
I remember going to Kamini bar one year and locals from Avliotes were there  - - one with a guitar
an evening of song and drinks - one of the best nights ever!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
We were at Kamini last evening although no guitar this time it was lovely sitting outside watching the sun touch the horizon and the many colours of a San Stefanos sunset, Kamini was busy and buzzing with familar faces from previous summers visitors, so what started as a quick drink lasted a plesant while....... Great to see San Stefanos alive with laughter and pleasantly busy....

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »
I hope we can meet this time - - first two weeks in July - - -hope to see you!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »
Yes Tony that would lovely, prompt me nearer the time so I get over to SS to see you and say yassou and of course yammas  :D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 02:06:32 AM »
I'll send by PM my mobile No, and you can txt me when I'm there.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 02:19:10 AM »
Cheers Tony received will pm you mine as well as our landline........

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:20:15 AM »
Brilliant!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni