Author Topic: Corfu in October  (Read 36118 times)

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Corfu in October
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me why it is so much more expensive to fly from Manchester for a week in October than say Leeds or any
other airport.
October 5th from Manchester staying in the Tsaros £490. To fly from Leeds/Bradford £292
I am just giving this as an example as all other apartments are still a lot more expensive.
I havnt paid that for 2 weeks in August.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Corfu in October
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
You're right. I just stuck it in the Thomson web site.

Manchester: £490
Gatwick     : £337
E/Midlands : £306
Leeds/B     : £292
Doncaster  : £274
Brum         : £265

Next week it will all be different. Thomsons' prices are like a roulette wheel. Maybe it needs extra fuel to take off in the rain?

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
thought I would check last week of the season 19th October to see if this was more reasonable
I think the Tsaros must have closed for the season but the prices get more expensive

1 week Teresas flying from Manchester £631 flying from Leeds/Bradford £289 I cannot believe
this is  more than double as the airports are only about 30 miles apart.

Maybe they are hoping no one will want to fly from Manchester so they can cancel the flight

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Our holiday this year to the Nafsica same day was £250 more on the same day from Manchester than Birmingam although our taxi is £50 more to Birmingham than Manchester still a saving of £200 again for next year saved roughly same amount and better flight time from Birmingham luckily living in Sheffield have a good choice of airports just can't understand the huge differences in price. Also since I booked couple of weeks ago price is £140 more same holiday

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
We've been going to Agios Stefanos for the last 20+ years, last year did a long weekend towards the end of October - never again. Cold, wet, empty and mostly closed.

But we're all different, I'm sure there are those who like it that time of year.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
We were there for three weeks- late September - back on October 14th. Fabulous weather. Little Prince still rocking every night!

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
I went on the 17th October last year to Arillas and had a really good week, weather was gorgeous most days but
very cold in the evening and not a great deal open, there was still one week left of the season but they would have
been very limited as to where they could eat. I do think that when people are booking these last couple of weeks
of the season they should be made aware of the limited facilities by the tour operators as when I was there a family
of five arrived and they were so  disappointed at most things being closed

YANNIS26

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
I was there last October for the last week of the seaon.We arrived in a terrific storm and wondered what are we doing here in October.Later that day the rain stopped and the rest of the week the weather was glorious.Ate mostly at the Beachcomer as it was one of the few Tavernas open.Had a meal at Ozzie Oils but it was only open at the weekend.Spent the evenings in the Thomas Bay which was the focal point for all the remaining visitors.Had a great week and got in a lot of walking but would have been  struggling for things to do if the weather had broke.
Yammas
Yiannis 

YANNIS26

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
thought I would check last week of the season 19th October to see if this was more reasonable
I think the Tsaros must have closed for the season but the prices get more expensive

1 week Teresas flying from Manchester £631 flying from Leeds/Bradford £289 I cannot believe
this is  more than double as the airports are only about 30 miles apart.

Maybe they are hoping no one will want to fly from Manchester so they can cancel the flight
The reason for the high prices at the end of October is supposed to be because it is the last school holiday of the summer.Where I come from it was always known as the spud bashing holiday(potato picking).The thing that does not make sense is that last year and I believe this year the Romanza contract with Thomsons stopped mid October.This I believe is happening all over the resort because Thomson do not like paying for rooms they cannot fill.As a consquence you end up paying top prices for a resort that is shutting down around you.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
On the other hand - we paid £431 each for three weeks last year!

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
We paid £170 each for a week in the Kouloudis 17th Ocotober?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
Like everything - check around for the best deal.
Whenever we go in October - the weather has always been good,
but one August there was a cloudburst and torrential rain with flooding in Sidari!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
 i stayed in Acharavi once for the last 2 weeks of the season, weather was good,and no real problem to eat out.The bonus for the kids was that the owners let them empty the ice cream freezer , didnt charge.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:50 AM »
That is typical of the lovely people who live in Corfu.

Where else in the world would you get someone say that to you?

Or like back in the day, (as you know, I'm sure) , "pay me in the morning" - then it's "well what did you have?"
It's - well, I don't know - so you guess and maybe add a drink too many  - just in case - only to be told - "don't worry, you pay for these - I will pay for these" - -
and your new Greek friend buys you some of the drinks - - amazing memories and good times before it got a bit more commercial pre-Thomsons.

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
 yes Tony very true.i used to stay at Romanza before hotel was there, only 2 supermarkets then .the one we used has gone now, was behind nafsika.they used to do a free delivery.go and order and ok, we bring it, dont know when though.if we was not home it would be left for us, no problem about payment, always tomorrow.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni