Author Topic: ATMs in San Stefanos  (Read 36264 times)

Offline Basjoe

• View Profile
ATMs in San Stefanos
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »
Many people on this forum discuss taking Euros in cash, and particular they like to discuss the current exchange rates. I guess that because there is a lot of speculation in the UK press about Greece leaving the Euro, quite a few holidaymakers are concerned about the ramifications of the elections next week. It seems to me that even if Greece DID vote to leave the Euro, it would take many months or even years to effect an orderly transition; in other words, nothing is going to happen quickly. 

Although I will take a little cash with me on holiday, I prefer to get my day-to-day cash from an ATM. My question is : Are the ATMs in San Stefanos all working reliably ?

Best Regards
Basjoe

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: ATMs in San Stefanos
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
Hi

Last time we were in San Stef (June 2010) there was one cash machine at Thomas Bay Hotel - but for the 2 weeks we were there it was only working a couple of days. I think there's a bank in a village/town nearby but the SS regs will know more than me.

When we were last in SS i took a wad of cash for the 1st week and as we were planning an afternoon/evening trip to Corfu Town halfway thru' the holiday i planned to stock up from Corfu Town, which i did.
Regards BB

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »
The only ATM in San Stefanos is unreliable, if you think you're going to get cash from that ATM every day you could be disappointed.

As for your comment of "If Greece did vote to leave the Euro, it would take many months or even years to effect an orderly transition, in other words, Nothing is going to happen quickly" I believe is a dangerous assumption.

Today's Daily Mail (page 4) reads "Draconion limits on cash withdrawals could be imposed at cash machines across the Eurozone WITHIN HOURS should Greece exit the Euro. The move could hit hundreds of thousands of British holiday-makers in Europe if a Greek exit happens at short notice"

Take a chance if you wish Basjoe, But I'll be taking mainly cash

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
The honest answer to that is "no." There is an ATM at the Thomas Bay, but it's about as reliable as the UK weather.

The next nearest are Avliotes and Arillas. Arillas is a less-punishing walk. I don't know how reliable the Arillas ATM is!

There are quite a few ATMs in Sidari.

Many places take pre-paid Euro cards for meals etc.

Personally I take mostly cash, including some GBPs, which can be changed at San Stephanos Travel is you run low on Euros.

As far as Greece staying the Euro goes - as far as I can see the EU will do as much as possible to keep Greece in, so I'd expect at least 8 weeks of to-and-fro after the election, so my guess is that things will carry as normal through the summer. I don't know if you agree, but it seems to me that the ultimate decision will be taken in Berlin and Paris, rather than Athens. Either way, I don't think the outcome will take years.

I agree with Waspman. The situation across the whole Eurozone is very unstable. All ATMs in Portugal stopped working for four days not long ago. Friends just back from Crete said they couldn't find a working ATM.  So the sensible strategy is really to take cash. Ag Steph is generally a crime-free zone: it's not Sidari or Kavos.

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
We always take cash and use safe deposit box at Noulas ( San Stefanos Travel )

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
Jimbo

There is no ATM in Arillas anymore

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
Whoops - thanks for that! It's Avliotes or Sidari then.

Offline Basjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Great info, thanks.

Basjoe

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
we were in san stef a week or so ago and the ATM at Thomas Bay hotel was on then off then stayed off.

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Think last year someone we spoke to said it had worked for two out of fourteen days they had stayed at Thomas Bay they were glad they had took advice and took enough money to see them through

YANNIS26

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
Hi Basjoe
As I have said on previous postings, in the past I have used my Post Office Credit whenever possible.I have done this due to its excellent exchange rate and its 0%loading when used abroad.I have backed it up with pound notes which I have changed in the village as necessary.
This year I am taking cash in the form of Euros.This is due entirely to the Greek economy crisis.There may not be a problem but I am not taking that chance.As numerous posters have said do NOT rely on the ATM machines.
Yammas
Yiannis.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:15:44 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
Well I live in Avliotes (next village up from Agios AKA San Stefanos) and all winter I have happily taken my UK money (in euros) out of the cash point there as I do believe many ex pats do this is the main village so it serves holidaymakers and locals alike. It never seems to run out of cash (receipts sometimes have been known not to spout, but when I check with my UK statement it does relate)) or I have been lucky.  I have no idea in fairness re the cash point in Thomas Bay, could this be down to the bank who supplies the dosh????? The one in Avliotes is owned by PRO bank and seems to supply locals and others with their weekly limit of euros. Jimbo the one in Arillas run by EUROBANK was closed last summer, although there now is in its place a pharmacy?????
Now going onto the ever asking question of will it be Euros or Drachmas, we will all know more the voting is this Sunday 17th June and according to UK and Greek and other papers.medias whatever happens will not happen overnight so bring your euros and pounds etc.  When I go on my hols to India I take, Euros, dollars, GBP and then when I run out I use the ATM whatever currency I have the chage for Rubbies - they all want your money at the end of the day..........
Let see whats happens this sunday 17th June could be a turnround point for Greece or not and hoping to see all  our friends from here very soon, phew its hot today 35c ++++++

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
Hi Lesley

Are these "Rubbies" you have in India "Ruby Murrays" (curries).  I love them too!!! But I didn't know you could get them from an ATM, pretty messy I would think!!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
I'm willing to wager now that if the anti austerity partys come to power then Greece will exit the Euro on 1st Jane next year.

And on a lighter note......if the cash machine is playing up....Tikka things as they come and try to remain Korma

YANNIS26

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »
I'm willing to wager now that if the anti austerity partys come to power then Greece will exit the Euro on 1st Jane next year.

And on a lighter note......if the cash machine is playing up....Tikka things as they come and try to remain Korma

Nice one Gav & Waspman
Yammas
Yiannis

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni