Author Topic: Cardiac Hill  (Read 12306 times)

Offline Birchy

• View Profile
Cardiac Hill
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
Hi There, first time visitor to San Stefanos this July. Reading all your comments since we booked way back in October and you have certainly whetted our appetites. We have stayed in Kassiopi before and loved it and are regular visitors to Greece.

My question is about cardiac hill. We are a group of seven with age ranges from 18 - 63, with a couple of less athletic members, we are staying at the kapetanos appts, are we going to struggle or is it exagerated? For those of you who have stayed in Pefkos (Rhodes), is it on a par with the hill up to the lovely bakery?

Look forward to your replys and will continue to visit the board for all your experiences.

Cheers

Birchy

don

Re: Cardiac Hill
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
We stopped at Kapetanios last year. One of us early 60's and formerly a heavy smoker, and had no trouble walking up from the village at all. Just a matter of common sense in that we carried 8ltr of water up when cooler rather than middle of the day.

YANNIS26

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »
Hi Birchy
Welcome to the forum.Do not worry about cardiac hill it is nowhere near as bad as the hill in Pefkos.As you are staying at the Kapetanios you are only 2/3 of the way up .The hill is a series of curves which drastically cut the gradient. I stay at the Romanza which is at the top of the hill and despite being well past retirement age it gives me no problems.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
I know both hills well and I would say the hill to the Kapatanios is similar (but no worse) than the one in Pefkos.

The only time it can be a bit difficult is during the heat of the afternoon so take half a litre of water and take it steady, you can always stop at the Terasa and have a beer en route!

Once you are at the Kapatanios the view is worth it.

We are staying at the Romanza in a few weeks and that is further up the hill so we might have a Mythos at the Kapatanious on the way!

Andy

Offline Birchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
Many thanks for the replies, that should put some minds at ease. I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions, it would be silly not to use all your knowledge.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Birchy,...... cardiac hill ! It is what it is, and that's a canny ziggy zaggy hill kidda!

As people say its slow and steady that wins the day.In previous years when atop the hill, we would get our basics and heavy bottles of water from Kathy's supermarket at the bottom of the hill. Sadly this was closed last year, don't know as yet about this year? I mention this because they would, when able, deliver shopping and the shopper to the hilltop  Romanza free of charge! Possible return option there? This time around we plan to stop off half way on the odd evening climb and pop into Teresa's to hopefully say hello to one or two forum members. A sojourn of a similar nature may suit the more senior members in your group?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
We always stay at Teresa which is just before Kapitanos. I am not that fit and never have problems up the hill as far as Teresa. As others have said just take it steady if needs be and stop off for refreshment on your way. It will be very hot in July so just make sure you have a bottle of water with you and avoid the mid day sun walking up.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline cassells

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
Hi birchy what date in july are you going. and for how long,

Offline Birchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
Hi Cassells, we arrive 13th July for 2 weeks, are you stayinh here too?

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
We venture up to Gravia and Akrotiri via the path to the right of Nafsika (looking from the beach).

It's a bit shorter than the path past the juice bar but a little steeper, just stop now and then and take in the views.

Problem with this path however is that towards the top it gets narrow and is getting overgrown a bit, maybe the owners of Akrotiri may want to get the strimmer out and clear it  ;).

But whichever way you go up - just go up - it's very much worth the effort.

Also if you like eating and drinking with great views - try Avionis. But I wouldn't walk, bike or taxi for me.  :D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
There is another post on Cardiac hill

---- but it's manageable for all, I made it as well!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline cassells

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
Hi birchy we are staying at leornardis villas , do u know them.

Offline DuncanG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Kathy's Supermarket is still closed I'm afraid so it's a slightly longer walk to the nearest supermarket.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
Hi birchy we are staying at leornardis villas , do u know them.
4 nice roomy villas behind the Olive Press (not open this year).
Set in nice Gardens - all facilities - fully kitted out with gas cookers.
They can supply a BBQ to use, if you ask, & have some play stuff for young kids on the lawn.

Next door to the Nafsika Hotel - so an easy breakfast option.

George runs the villas, Leonidas his father (and his Mother also), live in the adjacent house in the back,
although they are not too fluent in English, they will always help.

We always enjoyed staying there.
Tony
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni