Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 25643 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: exchange rate
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
Well said Romanza man.........

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
These would be the theories written in the press which cannot be proved or disproved

Which would they be?

As I suspect that this is largely directed at me, I, like Yiannis, will say nothing more. I do think the mosquito thread should be removed. Who wants to go to a mosquito-ridden place like Ag Stef?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:30:25 PM by Jimbo »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
Lol Jimbo!!!
And as i said earlier.....i too will be spending Euros....just not putting them all on a pre paid visa!!

As an aside....i did speak to a customer of mine today who had just got back from Stoupa....he said that all is well......prices there were on a par with last year. The only problem he (and others) had related to fuel and hire cars! He paid for his car to come with a full tank of fuel....it didn't. Hire company told him to go to petrol stn in next village and they'd reimburse him. He asked the guy from hire company to fill it up......got a negative response as hire company bloke claimed to have no money

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:50 PM »
For what its worth I think the balance is just about right on here at the mo. We cant hide our heads in the sands re some possible difficulties ahead in the village. I think forewarned = forearmed, or whatever the saying is! If ever there was a group of people who could sensibly adapt and prepare for unusual financial / service situations its here. I for one support the news and wider issues provided on here. I can then, much like Gav, make informed decisions, about the best way to prepare and protect my holiday. In essence raising the possibility of some financial discord in the future is giving people insight and potential options to protect their trip to san stef, this surely is  not discouraging travel but promoting it?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »
Thanks, Sellsy. One last comment:

It doesn't matter whether you're going to Spain, Greece, Italy or France - the Eurozone is in a crisis. That's not "speculation."

Takes some notes. That's the best possible advice, isn't it?

YANNIS26

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
Thanks, Sellsy. One last comment:

It doesn't matter whether you're going to Spain, Greece, Italy or France - the Eurozone is in a crisis. That's not "speculation."

Takes some notes. That's the best possible advice, isn't it?
Hi Jimbo
I usually use my Post office credit card in San Stefanos but in this instance I agree with you.Taking Euros is a sound option in the present uncertain climate.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:14 PM »
Agree with jimbo, I am taking cash this year and plenty of it!

The hole in the wall at thomas bay was always dodgy so why risk it, the whole of Europe is in crises not just Greece but I don't give a sh*t, all I want is warm sunny days and great taverna nights and I know in San Steph I wil not be disappointed.

As the song goes 'enjoy yourself it's later than you think'

Andy

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »
I agree that we should not bury our heads in the sand and should keep up to date with what is going on.

I'm also taking cash and will make sure that we have a really good time, we have only 1 holiday a year and try to make the best of it whatever happens.

We cannot ignore what is happening in the eurozone and must make adequate provision for any eventuality.
I feel safer being with Thomsons and no matter how much we dispise them they are obliged to get us home whatever happens and wherever we are.

My wifes uncle has lived on Evia for the past 6 or 7 years and has said that things are carrying on as normal with little or no change from previous years and that most of the unrest has been confined to small areas in Athens.

Offline spikeyb

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »
Crikey  i only asked if anyone knew the current rate in san stefanos LOL

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »
Just hope for the sake of the lovely friendly people that welcome us into the village that after the elections they can find some solution for stability we all love to visit but they live with all the cuts and all that entails every day

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »
Not sure if anyone has noticed this but Scottish banknotes are worth €1.28 at the moment. The Athens of the North has sold two lochs of Glenfiddich to offset the mounting trade deficit with the original Athens.  PM me if you want me to know more  :-\

Gavlah1973

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »
Also try to get as low denomination notes as poss. We booked ours online through FairFX and you can ring them up with your reference number once you've booked and specify what notes you'd prefer.
That way if anything does happen and the Euro currency is still accepted, but devalued, then you minimise the risk of buying a 15E round of drinks, paying with a 50E note and only be given change with a value of 40% (14E instead of 35E) for example.

Sellsy sums it up perfectly.....you probably have a 99% chance of going to any of the Greek isles this summer and suffering no probs at all. I also think it's prudent not to have your head in the sand and to plan for any possible eventuality!
I've been all over Trip Advisor this week and believe me....the posts on here are nowhere near as bad as the ones on there....some people are painting a picture of the Greek Isles as a place where Hades meets you at the airport and takes you to the underworld!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 01:49:49 AM »
Crikey  i only asked if anyone knew the current rate in san stefanos LOL

It's 1.21 before the usual 2% commission, courtesy of SS travel today!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »
Wow! I went away to Camber Sands for a week in WiFi free Holiday Parks - only to find the world had ended while I was away - except it hasn't!!

I will take a wad of  €'s and spend them in Ag. Stef as usual - and what's the betting the world of Corfu will tick over as before - certainly within reason.

Also - I am flying by Easyjet - they also have an obligation to get you home as well if you have paid for the flight and arrive in plenty of time at the airport.
I know this - it happened to me once before in Egypt - - they put us up in an AI hotel overnight and an extra flight arrived the next day to return us to the UK.
(OK - so we went to Luton instead of Gatwick - but they then put on a coach!) - - -and that was Easyjet!!

I intend to try to be on the S S beach as normal - - in spite of the Germans or any of the other Euro-crats - having a good time! See you there soon!!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni